So how was it for you 2014?

Fareham Grecian

Tmeister, I see you're a Greenman regular over recent years. Would you say that has changed in the same way you feel EOTR has? I've never been but always been tempted.

I thought this years Greenman was the best yet but due to the line up and great weather we had...i was there in 2012 scenes of Glasto in mud springs to mind that was prob the worst...it has changed too over the years seems to be alot more stuff to do after dark if you like that sort of thing... the two things i noticed though with both festivals was less toilets at both festivals maybe just cost cutting abit...slightly bigger festival Greenman compared to EOTR also same kinda vibe to EOTR which is nice...

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The arena opened early for sure (being a steward I can most definitely confirm this) so I'm not really sure what you were expecting?

It was supposed to open at 5, we (and many other people) were waiting to get in as the stewards were turning us away until 5.45. All the stewards (as ever) were very friendly but had no idea what was happening, just waiting for a radio message to say it was open.

Top 3 for me would be :

- The Gene Clark No Other Band (with 8 Miles High being my best festival moment of this summer, but then the Byrds were my favorite band),

- Andrew O'Neills History of Heavy Metal

- Andrew Combs (who I went to see despite him clashing with Richard Thompson, who would normally be a no brainer to me to see - and I didn't regret missing him one bit)

Other shout outs for Benjamin Booker, Gruff Rhys, The Districts, TRAAMS (which started out with 3 or 4 numbers of standard indie guitar fodder, and just as I was about to move on, they became altogether more interesting), Nick Waterhouse, The Wave Pictures, Israel Nash, British Sea Power, The Rails, Benjamin Clementine, Horse Thief, Tides of Man and Viv Albertine (whose book i will now be buying).

Been to every EOTR and over the last few years it has definitely lost a lot of the magic. Still a great festival though all in all and I guess it was always going to change as it got bigger and more popular.

My highlights :

Both Ezra Furman sets

Israel Nash

Gene Clark No Other Band

Arrows of Love (did he get his guitar back ?)

Theo Verney

St Paul & The Broken Bones

Hookworms

Gruff Rhys

Archie Bronson

Benjamin Booker

Andrew Combs

Tinariwen

White Denim

On a less positive note , running out of beer so early was a joke. Even the Tipi bar ran out on Thursday night. Surely after 9 years someone should be able to get this right ?

The Tipi late night sets were a disappointment generally, and thats not just because there werent any on Saturday, thought they were pretty dull generally this year

The w*nkers and chatters but this is again probably due to growth of festival and chatting at gigs seems to be the norm now

Highlights for me were: flaming lips, Felice bros (but vocal mix in big top not as good as they could be all weekend) and Richard Thompsons outstanding performance on the garden stage, and of course the karaoke shower and ringo bingo.

Very impressed with the security guards patience dealing with some lads overindulgence on mushrooms(??) outside our tent in early hours. Campsite was much more roomy without the pre-erected tents the extra showers were appreciated.

Loved the new flushing toilets but need lots more as queues way too long for us girls - gutted the woods stage ones closed after we queued for 15 mins during Flaming lips??

Maybe Bob log and Pucket could return for the 10th anniversary?

First EOTR for me. My observations:

1. Attracted by the lineup - flaming lips, conman moccasin, ezra furman, british sea power, sweet baboo, cate le bon - in my mind superior to most other festival lineups

2. Sunday's lineup was pretty awful for me though - although Tiny Ruins was sensational.

3. Lack of things to do on Sunday evening - if you don't like White Denim or Wild Beasts you were screwed

4. Comedy needs to be available in the evening

5. Running out of beer is poor

6. Well laid out site with excellent toilets

7. The tent for Mark ellen, Viv Albertine to speak is ridiculously small and having to compete with sound checking bands is a bit of an insult to them.

8. Cafe Dish - lovely people, good prices and great carrot cake!

Most of the emphasis is music and whilst that's great for me (and I came with friends), I'm still more likely to continue to go with my family to Green Man as it has a bit more to it in terms of non music activities: einstein's garden, teenager activities etc

This was my third EOTR and even in that time I've noticed a change. Somethings just aren't the same, I didn't like the new setting for the cinema, and there were definitely less food stalls. And definitely more talking twats.

But the music was still decent enough, tops for me were Andrew Combs (I only popped in for five minutes but stayed for the whole set, just brilliant), St Vincent was fab, Samantha Crain, Gruff Rhys, John Grant, Jenny Lewis, Tides Of Man, Lucius, Deer Tick, Israel Nash, were all great too.

Sadly, I won't be going next year due to it moving back a weekend to the 4/5/6 Sept.

After what was blowing around the week before, it was a relief that the weather proved to be better than OK. I arrived Friday morning and ignored the stewards advice to put my wellies on, and (big plus) there was no real suggestion that they would prove necessary for the remainder of the weekend.

The Good:

Wave Pictures

Robert Ellis (but don't sell your CDs for £15.00!)

Ezra Furman (no surprise!)

Stephen Malkmus

Gene Clark No Other Band (I suspected this would be just an event to have been at, but it was better than that)

Barr Brothers (particularly the late night Tipi slot)

St. Paul & The Broken Bones

Flaming Lips (it would be churlish not to enjoy this)

Yo La Tengo (both sets)

Andrew Combs

The Bad:

Adult Jazz

White Denim (disappointingly tedious)

The Ugly:

Ghost Of A Sabre Tooth Tiger (I heard some people had come from Japan just to see Sean Lennon - seriously???)

In other news:

Quite a few nice tweaks including: wooden platforms by the standpipes; the new building for the cinema (but same problem of screen too low, so if you're not at the front you still miss half the film; great new chilling and eating area by the cinema; dedicated tent (but too small for Viv Albertine) for library talks; that new bar on the right on the track near the Garden Stage which we only spotted too late on Sunday night.

Larmer Bell Award for dedication to public service:

At 10.30 am on Saturday, I said to my friend Hilary that she should look at the face on the t shirt hanging behind her in the Rough Trade tent and tell me if that wasn't the face of the guy checking out the stock just to her left. He was still there at 3.45 pm signing and talking for a signing session that started at 2.00 pm: Wayne Coyne. I have no idea what all that stuff with the toy baby was about at the FL show, but who cares?

Food & Drink awards:

Largely same old, same old. Paellaria (new) was stodge. Liked the salt beef bagel place, liked the (new?) tea & crumpet place, but the award goes (again) to the bacon and egg sarnies at the Tea Stop. Beer award goes to North Star mainly because I really really really really needed it after two hot tent equipment hauls.

To sum up therefore, whilst it was no Loxfest - few things are - all in all, I rather think I may have had a blast.

Edited by RedRockRick

First EotR for my mate and I and we both had a great time. We were one of the first cars in the car park just after 1pm on Thursday (they opened the car park early), then got in just after 3pm following 5 minutes queuing.

So many nice things about the festival for us, including nice friendly tent neighbours and people generally, plenty of space around our tents, the cleanest toilets I've seen at a festival so far, good range of food and drink, and a lovely woman I met on Thursday evening at the Peacock Bar who thought I was 35!! (I wish.)

Music was not the most must-see line up I've ever had but it was nice to be able to wander around and have plenty of time to do other things too. Highlights included The Horrors, John Cooper Clarke, Drenge, Radiophonic Workshop (Doctor Who theme gave me goosebumps!) and Lucius.

Not-so-goods included Flaming Lips (was expecting better music, although the visuals were great), Mark Watson not turning up (we left 25 mins after he was due to start on the comedy stage), and the Big Top generally: The ventilation was virtually non-existent, so we had to leave 2 of the acts earlier than we'd intended on Sunday as it was so stifling inside, and we also thought the acoustics were crap, particularly for vocals on Friday.

Thought the postcard idea was brilliant. My mate received a card addressed to "The Most Interesting Person You Can Find At The Festival" after chatting with the posties for a few minutes (he is actually pretty interesting as it goes!) Turned out it was from the staff at the pie stall, so we both got a free pie out of it!

Having not been drinking all day yesterday we made a spur of the moment decision to pack up and leave just before it got dark in order to miss the traffic and weather this morning. I'm disappointed about missing White Denim as a result, but we're still happy with our decision.

I'll certainly be trying for early bird tickets for next year.

Second year, and better than last (probably?).

Musical highlights:

The Flaming Lips (after the set I said that it was lifechanging. Hyperbole, yes, but bloody hell how great was that!)

tUnE-yArDs (fourth time I've seen her but she was absolutely sensational. What an amazingly fun dance party)

Kiran Leonard (good pal of mine but I'm not biased, I swear! His second set was mindblowing. Best "young act" in the country)

Black Lips (just awesome)

Yo La Tengo (Freewheelin' was hilarious but the main set was gorgeous. Loved them both)

Mazes (saw them a few years back, but was pleasantly surprised by their progression. Great sound)

Musical lowlights:

Adult Jazz (utter trash - all gimmick and no substance)

General highlights:

Come Heckle Christ (hilarious and totally unique, great atmosphere)

Lego Movie (as above)

forest disco (great song choices, such a lovely friendly vibe, so much fun!)

games area (that curved bowling was great)

food stall staff (the lot of them: so lovely!!!)

St Vincent Q+A (a nice secret slot)

General lowlights:

stag/hen dos (eh!??!? at eotr!??!?)

food prices (seemed higher than last year?)

Mark Watson did turn up, he started 45/50 minutes late, did his full allotted time and was very good. He was held up by train problems then Steam Fair traffic. His first 15 minutes was a very funny rant about it. He then did 10 minutes of material from half way up a tree after chasing a man who was leaving during the set. Worth the wait imho.

NS

So this was my third year, I had a great time so I don't really want to nip-pick, but I'll do the done thing with highs/lows...

HIGHS

- The Flaming Lips, I've seen them a bunch of times and they are still the best live band on the planet. Particularly enjoyed getting up close for the soundcheck. Very similar set to I what I got in Manchester earlier this year, but I was delighted with the addition of 'The Golden Path'.

- Getting re-acquainted with Archie Bronson Outfit (sounded great where I was), Stephen Malkmus and Jenny Lewis.

- A few other sets, Peggy Sue, Stealing Sheep (the Tipi one, particularly), Drenge.

- The Mark Ellen talk and stumbling across Mark Watson's gig just as he arrived (late).

- More white toilets (but not enough - see lows)

- The first half of St.Vincent (also see lows)

- The Tea Stop! My favourite.

- Also lots of good veggie food, particularly the Pizza Tabun, Dorset Blue Soup (Toasties) and Grande Bouffe (crepes).

- Those pint glasses were nice, I'm using one at home right now.

- Generally, it's just a lovely festival. Great atmosphere, no getting frisked, good line-up, BYOB... even the weather is kind to us (colder this year but mostly dry).

LOWS

If I must...

- Getting on site. They seem to have decided it ran too smoothly in previous years and made it a right mess this year. Certainly if you arrived between 4-5 on Thursday, as I usually do.

- Nowhere near enough toilets for the girls. This seriously needs attention for next year.

- 2nd half of St Vincent. I've always liked her and enjoyed the early "hits" half of the set (Marrow, Cheerleader, Cruel etc) but the performance and wig-out and the end just comes across as contrived when you're familiar with her earlier work. I really wanted to enjoy it, but I just don't think the sudden change in how she presents herself works. (Not for me, anyway.)

- Missing John Grant - bad clash!

- The people who monopolise the piano room. Always seems to be someone hogging the chairs acting like they're in charge.

- Non-existent 3G coverage. It's not that I wanted to check my email, I just wanted to find out about the "secret sets" on Twitter! Eventually found where the Best Fit signs were, but missed a few.

- Do the 'Information' box people have any info, beyond what's in the programme'? I asked one morning who was in the Uncut Q&A and they had no idea as it wasn't in there. No offence to the staff, they were very nice, just doesn't seem like they're told much.

As I say though, that's only nit-picking. I had a great weekend, will definitely be back!

5th EOTR for us - 2 with me & wife, 3 now with kids (this was first with 2 kids). This is also the first year I've FINALLY accepted the increase in capacity. It was better smaller, but I am now over it!

Enjoyed it immensely, and will def. be back. One problem we had is that we stood in a field with loads of bands but didn't feel I watched actually anyway. But that's having kids with you I guess. I think next year we will be back but perhaps on our own. That said, they had a FANTASTIC time. The Wonderland area was fantastic, and all the stuff put on their was really well put together and thought out.

General positive oberservations:

• The toilets were immaculate all weekend.
  • Food was ace - no skanky burger stalls, but don't expect anything less.
  • Great bands - and I felt abit more variety in genre this year.
  • Watching the Flaming Lips soundcheck was great fun.
  • Still me favourite festival.

Not so great things:

• The patronising I would guess 20 yr old steward who said to her colleague as I walked off trying to find a water point on Friday morning as at that point there were NONE in family camping until later - "what does he expect, it's a festival!'. Er, a water point in family camping not about 1/2 a mile away!
  • Increase rise in hipsters - actually, not necessarily a bad thing, but less beardy ale drinkers proportionally, which is more my thang.But I guess people are people (excuse ramble).
  • Talkers at the front. To be fair, I'm sure most of us chat occassionally but atleast do it at the back.

That's it really!

Not sure about next year - after 5 I feel like trying something new (GreenMan?) but have the fear it wouldn't be as good as EOTR. Maybe I'll wait for the line ups.

Hope everyone had fun! Still very low amount of idiots which is great.

;-0

First EOTR, and I had a really good time. Nice friendly crowd- maybe I was just lucky but I can only remember twice being annoyed by people in the crowd talking, and it wasn't that bad even then (once it was someone taking a small child to the comedy stage who was bored out of her mind as she was too young to understand any of it).

Glad I wasn't a woman regarding the toilets- I barely had to queue all weekend. I've noticed that some people think that there were less compared to other years? But the situation was much better than the last Green Man I went to. Same with queues at the bars- never really had to wait that long.

It was a really hassle free festival, which I greatly appreciated. I notice some people complaining about the queuing to get in on Thursday- compared to some festivals that was nothing.

Small worry- lack of a stall for things like camping equipment and practical clothing- stupidly, I noticed when I'd got there that the walking boots I'd bought with me had a hole in them- wasn't a problem in the end but if the weather had been a bit worse it may have been. I know you should come prepared and I do, normally, but things break or get forgotten. It would have been nice to have been able to buy a paper as well.

I'm not going to list all my highlights, but did anyone see Sam Lee in the Tipi? Totally amazing. Just went to it on the off chance and I was blown away. Oh, and the Radiophonic Workshop.

Don't know if I will be back next year- depends on finance, getting time off work, all the usual boring stuff, but I'd like to be.