What Festival comes close....

Guest Swine_Glasto2014

To Glastonbury?

U have only ever been to Glastonbury Festival and feel that everything I want is catered for there. Never really felt the want to go anywhere else.

If the I'll fated day did arise where enough was enough and it stopped, where woukd you go??

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None. Though my Glasto relationship is somewhat subjective in the sense that I was bought up in the area and therefore have a historical and personal connection with it.

I have been to other festivals, though comparatively few compared to many on these boards. Enjoyed them all in their own way, but none quite tick all the boxes that Glasto does for me.

It could never stop, though it might change hands....

I've had enough of Glastonbury for a while, so am not trying for tickets for it in October (although I will be trying for tickets for someone else off this site on T Day). Me and the misses want a change. Our current plan is to go for Green Man tickets with the camping a few days before the festival starts option. As neither of us go to festivals specifically for the music, then we should be OK with the Green Man festival. I believe the setting is stunning and the crowd friendly.

It depends entirely on which aspects of Glastonbury appeal to you the most.

Everything from the ticketing process, the south east, main stages, green bits, the community feel in some areas, the food, the set up, the lay out..the lot.

Just can't see Reading, iow or anything ever coming close.

I don't think there is another Festival in the UK at least that seems to really cover everything that Glastonbury does? Maybe a smaller one but on the smaller scale so you miss out on the big stadium act aspect?

If you like the Pyramid /other stage stage aspect, Reading is fine if more limited in act choice, but if you want fancy a break from it there isn't anything else to do but it is easier to get around and see alot of bands!

I am trying Bestival this year, which seems to have taken alot of queues from Glastonbury with themed venues and having more stuff than just the main music stages.

Boomtown is meant to be like the South East corner/late night stuff.

So yes it really depends on what you like most about Glastonbury.

Edited by LondonTom

Sorry to hear you'll not be returning in 2015 Yog, but I can totally understand the desire to go to a smaller festival which is concentrated on the aspects you enjoy the most.

I enjoyed Croissant neuf summer party last year, shame it wasn't back on this year.

I try to do around four fests a year including Glastonbury. But the others can't be compared as they are so different.

Like Yog, I'm not sure about Glasto next year.

At the moment my festival of choice for next year will be Farmer Phil's Festival at Ratlinghope, a tiny village near Shrewsbury. http://www.farmerphilsfestival.com/

I fell across it by accident this year and it ticked all the boxes. About 2,500 people, very much like Croissant Neuf Summer Party - small, intimate and family friendly. Even dog friendly. There must have been over 100 dogs there that people had taken (all on leads and well behaved and dog owners had to pooperscoop so no mess).

Food was superb - excellent African and Caribbean stalls - beer, including real ale on draught and good ciders, all £3 a pint.

The whole festival, including camping, caravan or motorhomes, was just £75. And you could camp there for a week and either side of the festival use it as a base for hillwalking or visiting the local area.

My start of the season, and again now nailed on as a regular for me, is Wychwood at Cheltenham Racecourse.

Edited by grumpyhack

I went to Somersault in July a new festival in North Devon. Lovely site with a river running through it. Good music and interesting stalls and other stuff. Parties in the forest at night after the bands. Very clean, no litter. About 13000 people I think. Loved it. Will definitely go again next year. A bit like a mixture of Avalon, acoustic area, with a bit of healing/ green fields

Edited by Spacey

I'll probably choose Latitude next year if I'm not successful on Glasto t-day, although Suffolk is an arseache to get to. And I'll be working Towersey and Truck next year, I hope, having deferred from this year because of the busted ankle. There's not enough folk music at Glasto so Towersey ticks that box nicely.

I'll probably choose Latitude next year if I'm not successful on Glasto t-day, although Suffolk is an arseache to get to. And I'll be working Towersey and Truck next year, I hope, having deferred from this year because of the busted ankle. There's not enough folk music at Glasto so Towersey ticks that box nicely.

What area of the country are you travelling from? We drive from Manchester, and it's long drive, but I've never found it arduous, and the festival is chilled enough for the return journey to be taken leisurely. Latitude is always a pretty much stress-free event for me, there's no pressure on when turn up or a battle to get out like Glastonbury.