Trading at Festivals

Guest j_mcg

Hello All,

I am starting to look into trading at festivals with my GF, I guess there will more posts like this on the forum but I have only just signed up. I was wondering if people find a tent/tepee or a van is easier to trade from?

I like the idea of trading from a Tepee but would it be too hard to setup/down transport every time?

I am in very early stages at the moment so any information would be greatly recieved.

regards

Jas

Yeah I understand that might might also make people want to see what is inside, ive seen these that would not have this problem.

http://www.nordictipi.com/Products/Nimbus-16

but I was thinking more like this one as it is better for British weather

http://www.nordictipi.com/Products/Cirrus-40

I'd say either of those would cost a bit. As what you propose is a gamble then you might not even recover the cost of the tipi's until you had a few festivals under your belt - and that's assuming you were successful.

I would recommend looking at traders stalls in your area on ebay, like the one below;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/used-Market-stall-8x6x7-and-2-feet-over-hang-Market-trader-/121401311472?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c441500f0

All you need then is a cheap large tarpauling to go over it and you and your products will remain dry if it rains, as well as partially sheltered from any wind. If you do go down this route then you'll also need some clamps like these (see below) in order to secure the tarpaulin;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Market-Stall-Metal-Clamps-/181505186524?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a428d5adc

I have recently bought both of the above items off ebay second hand for £120. I have still yet to get a tarpaulin, but these are easily obtained cheaply.

I would think long and hard about what you want to sell. There's millions of food outlets at festivals - what could you do that hasn't already been done?

I once had a doughnut stall. The person I bought it off used to have (and may still have) massive rigs at Glastonbury, the Highland Games etc. He advised me to try out smaller venues like large dog shows, horse shows etc before trying festivals ie cut your teeth on something you can manage first before jumping into the big league. According to the taxman he earned about £17K at the employers I used to work for. That didn't stop him from owning a country pile and driving around in a Rolls Royce - just trying to say that if you get it right it can make you a mint.

I wish you well.

I'd certainly try cutting your teeth on a few small fests first. The cost of a pitch at major festivals can be huge - you're looking at £10k plus for Glasto - which is a big outlay to have to cover. Be aware that you may also need hygiene certificates, another cost.

Have a look at www.galatent.co.uk for commercial tents that can stand up to the weather.

Good luck

Thank you for your advice. The only foodstuffs I was think of selling would be sweets and pos jams/sauces so not main food stall.

I was thinking of some local festivals/shows near me which I have been too before.

If I was to sell boxes of sweets would I need public liability and food hygiene certificate?

that is true, would you use a van then?

Not necessarily. It depends what you're selling, and how important 'look' is.

Judging by the fact that most other festie traders don't trade out directly from their vans (and if they do, they normally have a big tent behind it), a tent structure is probably best. But it depends what you're doing, and how you're wanting to do it.

Hello All,

I am starting to look into trading at festivals with my GF, I guess there will more posts like this on the forum but I have only just signed up. I was wondering if people find a tent/tepee or a van is easier to trade from?

I like the idea of trading from a Tepee but would it be too hard to setup/down transport every time?

I am in very early stages at the moment so any information would be greatly recieved.

regards

Jas

The other question Jas is where in the UK are you based? We then may be able to suggest 'not far from your base' festivals to kick off.