Anybody in the know re further expansion of Glasto?

Guest NorthernScum

2013 was my first Glasto since 2003, so the size of the thing blew my head off just as much as when I first saw it in 92. Car parks had become campsites; fields north of the A361 had become car parks. The east car parks now reached Surrey. Well, not quite. The stone circle was no longer the highest point etc etc.

I've looked at the 2013 and 2014 site maps, and they are nearly identical. As long as it retains that certain special something, expansion is fine by me (in fact, it's so big now that i find its size comical), but does anybody know anything about this?

I was surprised to get out of the gates on departure and find fields of tents outside the enclosure. I assumed there was enough space for everybody inside, but apparently not. Even more surprising were the random tents scattering the roadside in the local area, something I can't imagine the locals were terribly impressed with.

The new licence allows for an extra 25,000 people working at the festival so further expansion of the site must be on the cards. They'll need not just space for accommodation but parking and other facilities. Much of that could be outside the fence but it's likely it will mean that the fenced area will increase as well.

And with the number of punters remaining static, all this will have to be paid for somehow. :(

The new licence allows for an extra 25,000 people working at the festival so further expansion of the site must be on the cards. They'll need not just space for accommodation but parking and other facilities. Much of that could be outside the fence but it's likely it will mean that the fenced area will increase as well.

And with the number of punters remaining static, all this will have to be paid for somehow. :(

I'd suggest saving money by not going for big headliners. It'll sell out anyway, and as the years go by, there'll be a stronger concentration of Glasto attendees who just wanna be there coz they love the place full-stop, which in turn will preserve the uniquely positive ambience, further ensuring long-term punter loyalty, ie ticket sales.

Now where do i collect my £20 fee for this utterly wonderful and flawless idea?

I'd suggest saving money by not going for big headliners. It'll sell out anyway, and as the years go by, there'll be a stronger concentration of Glasto attendees who just wanna be there coz they love the place full-stop, which in turn will preserve the uniquely positive ambience, further ensuring long-term punter loyalty, ie ticket sales.

Now where do i collect my £20 fee for this utterly wonderful and flawless idea?

That'd suit me down to the ground. In recent years I've only seen two Pyramid headliners (the Stones and Stevie Wonder) and both times cleared off after 20 minutes or so because I was less than impressed. I don't see it happening though, for the near future at least. In recent years they've been pushing for some of the biggest acts out there and with Fleetwood Mac and possibly Prince in the frame for next year that looks likely to continue. Maybe when Michael retires?

• 2 weeks later...

I was surprised to get out of the gates on departure and find fields of tents outside the enclosure. I assumed there was enough space for everybody inside, but apparently not. Even more surprising were the random tents scattering the roadside in the local area, something I can't imagine the locals were terribly impressed with.

I think they would be crew tents as all punters have to camp inside the fence due to problems pre 2003......

Crew is expanding over the next few years but ticktes are to remain the same number