80's Rewind South

Guest Glastojonnyboy

So after years of going to Glasto I'm going to try Rewind. Not sure about the set up so I need a few hints and tips.

Is there water taps in the camping fields and village areas
Can you take booze into the village area
Is there a site map I can view
Does it take long to get from the carpark to to the campsite

Thanks guys you rock

Water taps yes to both.

They don't allow you to take ANY food or drink (inc soft drinks) into the arena, and they search people's bags at the entrances. I kid you not. You can try smuggling it in, but it's hit and miss - you might get lucky and not be searched. Forcing people to buy their limited choice of grossly overpriced drinks. It's disgraceful. Rewind got too successful too quickly and they got greedy.

I don't think there is a map available. They are pisspoor at giving out information. Still no running order for the acts, and not even any indication of which ones are headlining!

Not too bad getting from car park to camp site, although obviously the earlier you get there, the closer you can park.

You can take drink etc, into the camp site, but no glass allowed, so make sure it's cans or plastic bottles.

Glastonbury it ain't. Only one stage, and there's not much to do after the bands finish. Everything's closed down about an hour later. I camped once, and that was enough. As we are fairly local (30 miles), we just go for the day now. Usually 3 or 4 good acts each day, and often one or two that turn out to be unexpectedly good. So it can be enjoyable, but it is what it is.

That's what I meant by the arena - no, they are complete fascists over taking food & drink in. You are only allowed to consume your own stuff in the camp site. I personally don't mind so much about the food, there is loads to choose from in there. But I'm fussy about what I drink and the choices are always very limited.

I am just going on Sunday this year. Hope it stays dry for us!

One other thing - it can get very damp there at night because it's right next to the river, you get a lot of dew in the air, so if you want to sit around your tent drinking late at night, pack a wooly jumper and a Poundland poncho ;)

Edited by Damsonz

It is what it is like has been said. A lot smaller that Glasto but so is everything, only 1 Glasto. I have been to the last 4 Rewind's and I really enjoy it. I camp every year too. Just a small selection of booze in the arena on offer but other than that it is spot on. Lager wise you get 1 choice, if you like real ale there is quite a bit of choice.

At last they have published the running order (first to last).

Really don't know what they are thinking. :mda:

Saturday

From The Jam
Nick Heyward
Mike + The Mechanics
Level 42
Johnny Hates Jazz
Wang Chung
Martha Wash The Original Weather Girl
Jason Donovan
Sister Sledge
Marc Almond
Rick Astley
Holly Johnson

Sunday

The South
Howard Jones
UB40
The Boomtown Rats
Hazel O'Connor
Hugh Cornwell
A Flock Of Seagulls
Bonnie Tyler
Roland Gift
Jimmy Somerville
Tony Hadley
Tom Bailey (Thompson Twins)

At last they have published the running order (first to last).

Really don't know what they are thinking. :mda:

Saturday

From The Jam

Nick Heyward

Mike + The Mechanics

Level 42

Johnny Hates Jazz

Wang Chung

Martha Wash The Original Weather Girl

Jason Donovan

Sister Sledge

Marc Almond

Rick Astley

Holly JohnsonSunday

The South

Howard Jones

UB40

The Boomtown Rats

Hazel O'Connor

Hugh Cornwell

A Flock Of Seagulls

Bonnie Tyler

Roland Gift

Jimmy Somerville

Tony Hadley

Tom Bailey (Thompson Twins)

Good lord. That's horrific.

I've been a few times as I'm fairly local (Reading) but not going this year.

I have generally enjoyed it every time I've been, taking it as the total cheese-fest that it is - I have eclectic tastes.

One thing that really irks me is the toilet queues inside the Arena area - always really long, for men and women, all the time.

In the past I missed an entire set of somebody I wanted to see but was busting for the bog! They could probably do with 50% more Portaloos.

Likewise food queues can be massive at peak times. Bars are always well organised though.

Holly Johnson was brilliant the last time I went, he has a very good live band with him.

Glasto it most certainly is not, but if hen do's togged out from head to toe in neon shit is your thing then you absolutely cannot go wrong! :-)

Yes, what is it with the neon shit? I was around in the 80s and I don't remember anyone ever wearing fluorescent colours.

Anyway on a positive note, I am very much looking forward to the Boomtown Rats and Jimmy Somerville, and expect to enjoy most of the rest. Would have liked to see Marc Almond (again) but wasn't enthused about most of the rest of Saturday's line-up.

(I see From The Jam have a gig lined up in Reading, might go to that.)

Edited by Damsonz

Are you referring to the running order, or just the line-up as a whole?

If the latter, I grant you there are a few dire acts in there, but we all need piss breaks. :cool:

The line up in general. Possibly 2 bands I'd actively make an effort to see and 2 others I would be interested in if I was in the vacinity.

Like a lot of 80's stuff, it's an entirely different 80's to the one I remember.

Still.... you can't beat a really lengthy piss break :)

The line up in general. Possibly 2 bands I'd actively make an effort to see and 2 others I would be interested in if I was in the vacinity.

Like a lot of 80's stuff, it's an entirely different 80's to the one I remember.

Still.... you can't beat a really lengthy piss break :)

Late 70s/early 80s was the best time for me - it started going downhill mid-decade and there was a lot of cheesy rubbish later on in the 80s.

Sunday looks like this for me: :)

The South - meh

Howard Jones - said to be very good live

UB40 - looking forward to (would have been highlight if original line-up)

The Boomtown Rats - highlight

Hazel O'Connor - OK

Hugh Cornwell - looking forward to

A Flock Of Seagulls - set will probably only be 2 or 3 songs, but looking forward to it

Bonnie Tyler - OK

Roland Gift - seen before and was surprised how good he was, so looking forward

Jimmy Somerville - highlight

Tony Hadley - meh

Tom Bailey (Thompson Twins) - somewhere between meh and OK. depends what his band's like

Eta - Bonnie and Hazel were much better than OK, but sadly very short sets. Hazel accompanied by Clare Hirst on sax, a highlight.

Edited by Damsonz