Optimism Is Everything-Caravan Hire?

Guest AiiShotTheDJ

Hi all,

As the title says, optimism is everything! I've stayed away from these forums this year as I failed in getting tickets for this years festival :(

However, I'm hoping I can manage it for next year!

Now, I've camped at festivals for the last 7 years and I'm fed up of creaking like an old (wo)man, the sore back, waking up freezing cold, being woken at 4am with people going past my tent etc. so am looking in to hiring a caravan. I've found some that will drop off onsite and pick up so it's just a case of getting myself there which is great.

However, my dilemma, do I book it now and pay the deposit and pray I get a ticket, or do I wait?

Thank you!

I haven't a clue but would have thought that those with the money will book these before T Day in the hope that they will get tickets then. If you leave it to T Day and are successful then it might be that you go to book one of these camper vans and find they are all booked.

You might want to ask the camper van company if the bookings are transferable. That way you could sell your booking if you didn't get a ticket on T Day.

I suppose you have to decide if you can take the loss of the deposit without feeling too upset, should things not pan out.

Definitely worth speaking to a few companies.

A couple of years ago one of my work colleagues booked a camper van before T-day, he failed to get tickets.

The company said he could either transfer it to another week or he could have his deposit back. They knew they would be able to hire them all out anyway!

Why hire when you can buy? I got my 4 berth caravan in pristine condition (separate washroom with flush toilet and proper shower, fridge, cooker and full sized awning) for £4,500. It's done three festivals and a wedding this year and should be good for many years to come.

If you see it as a long-term investment it beats renting.

The downside is towing it to the fest and I don't know what distance you have to cover. But when we travelled in convoy to Glasto it was every bit as quick, if not quicker, than my mate's old VW camper.

If you buy one and don't get Glasto tickets take it to another festival instead.

I picked one up for a grand this year. My plan was to buy it, use it for Glasto, then sell it on. It was just the job for the festival...dry, warm and clean. It has hot and cold running water, shower, toilet and a fridge to keep the beers cold. There's no way I'm selling it now!! :)

I picked one up for a grand this year. My plan was to buy it, use it for Glasto, then sell it on. It was just the job for the festival...dry, warm and clean. It has hot and cold running water, shower, toilet and a fridge to keep the beers cold. There's no way I'm selling it now!! :)

Thank you both- unfortunately I have nowhere to store one. Renting at the moment in a terrace house with no garden so renting will be the only option! One company hasn't replied to me- this is a promising start!

I can't store mine outside my house. I was able to with my first but this one is much longer. So it lives between fests on a secure caravan storage site near the Severn Bridge. There are plenty of storage sites around. Costs me £200 a year. Still worth every penny.

I can't store mine outside my house. I was able to with my first but this one is much longer. So it lives between fests on a secure caravan storage site near the Severn Bridge. There are plenty of storage sites around. Costs me £200 a year. Still worth every penny.

Thank you- I didn't think about storing it!

If all else fails, I'll just camp and be a bit more on the ball next time! It's my Mum moaning now about how she wants "comfort" and "warmth" yet last year she completely ignored my advice to bring a camping stove to make hot drinks and to bring a hot water bottle (as we all know- camping can get very cold!)