Rock Werchter 2015

foolee

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 June - 3 July according to Studio Brussel website. So back to the old weekend.

And let's already write down Foos, viewing as they're coming back for Pinkpop and Glasto.

I'm betting indeed on the Foo's but also Editors (unfortunately) and probably Coldplay again.

Anyway, I had a great festival. I couldn't see all the band I wanted but I had some nice surprises.

Foos aren't confirmed as playing Glasto next year, the bookers said something like 'hopefully in the next few years' for getting them which might hint they don't plan on being around for festivals at that time

They do have an agreement with Pinkpop, which is mid-June. It would make a lot of sense to catch up on all (or most of) the other cancelled dates as well then. Especially Werchter, since they made 3 big Belgian festivals move their dates for that gig. 

I can see The National and/or The XX getting a coheadliner slot too. 

Gutted last October when I didn't get glasto ticks and booked up for RW instead. What a fantastic way to spend a week. Absolutely fabulous festival.

Patti Smith set was something special as was War on Drugs. Muse we're pretty amazing last night. And the weather ...........

Going to be hard choice for 2016.

Hopefully they do get Foos next year, but yes still a fantastic weekend without them!

Thought we could do some ratings so:
Thursday
Marmozets: 8/10 Great energy to start the festival off
Years and Years: 8/10 Very catchy and the tent was fairly rammed for them
Royal Blood: 9/10 If they can pull off another big album these guys will be headlining festivals very soon, massive crowd that was up for it
Rise Against: 5/10 Was shattered by this point due to travelling so might have influenced but found them boring, never really been a fan of their vocals either
Florence and the Machine: 9/10 Great setlist, all the hits
Faith No More: 7/10 A solid set and the Foo Fighters troll was pretty funny, even as a replacement I still don't think they deserve that kind of slot on the lineup
Chemical Brothers: 6.5/10 Started off great but the middle section got very weird and hard to enjoy, lots of the crowd left early and so did we, it's evident they are the type of act you can only fully appreciate with some kind of substance in you

Friday
John Newman: 7/10 Enjoyable but cringey how we was saying things like 'cheer for me'
Of monsters and men: 5/10 Pretty dull, don't think they're a great act for a festival really
Mumford and Sons: 8.5/10 Only downside was the changeovers between songs, took too long and killed the flow a bit
Pharrell Williams: 8/10 So many hits and good fun but the blatant Adidas product placement and section with the backing dancers was unnessecary

Saturday
Fidlar: 8/10 Solid set
Royal Blood(second set): 8/10 Point lower for being identical to Thursday but still enjoyable
Hozier: 7/10 Sounded decent from a distance
War on Drugs: 7/10 Last few songs sounded good
NGHFB: 9/10
Lenny Kravitz: 8/10 Only downside was some songs dragged out a bit too long
Prodigy: 9/10 Crazy, moshpits everywhere and I think they were getting told to stop the gig early on by a stage crew

Sunday
Enter Shikari: 8/10
CATB: 8/10 Similarly to ES, deserved a longer set and a bigger crowd
Vaccines: 6/10 Very average, only picked up for If You Wanna and Teenage Icon
Circa Waves: 7/10 Last bit of set sounded good
The Script: 7/10 Enjoyable
Kasabian: 9/10 Brilliant, should of headlined the Thursday
Muse: 10/10 Flawless, first time seeing them and they played Citizen Erased! Great end to the weekend

Weather was great, not happy with the fact I couldn't get in the tent for Elbow, putting them in their not clashing with anyone else was just dangerous. Wish there'd have been news on the screens about cancellations and lineup changes as missed Death Cab because of it and had no clue what was happening with Ben Howard. Aside from that festival was spot on everything else was really well ran.

May end up here again, but certainly not travelling by National Express as I'm currently stuck in traffic in London for 2.5+ hours :(

Oh and those signs that people hold up are annoying as fuck, they need to get rid of them and ban them. Someone was in front of us right down the front at Muse holding a pizza box saying 'it's my birthday' blocked about 5 people's views and they clearly weren't there for Muse as they didn't sing/move at all. Soon stopped once people started bottling them lol

Edited by Followill

Best act of the festival for me was Faith no More. I can't believe that anyone could ever want Foos over them, what a band! If it wasn't for Pearl Jam in 2012 and 2014, they would be the best act I've seen in my 7 times at RW.

Others worth a mention: Eagles of Death Metal, Muse, Royal Blood, Lenny Kravitz, The Prodigy and Florence.

Worst band: Mumford & Sons, they were even worse then in 2012. The Script was also horrible.....

I watched last internationale on Friday and then cleared off to Brussels and stayed overnigh to get away from shocking Friday line up.

Patti smith in the Barn was utterly sensational. Seldom witness something that good. War on drugs were also top notch

Here is that I thought of RW:

Thursday:

Patt Smith:  9/10 Only saw 10 minutes but it was utter genius.

Florence: 5/10 Contrary to most people I was not so impressed with her performance. Sure, she rolled out the hits but I didn't feel it.

Faith No More: 8/10 I am no fan but I was impressed with their performance. What a frontman=)

Friday:

Archive: 7/10 Cool psychrock.

Death Cab for Cutie: 7/10 A decent band that worked well in the Barn.

Saturday:

Royal Blood: 8/10 Really good band. The drummer´s stoneface was priceless.

War on Drugs: 4/10 To be honest I thought they were kínd of boring. I guess I don´t like their music.

Noel Gallagher: 8/10 Well, you can´t go wrong with this guy.

Lenny Kravitz: 9/10 I was surprised how good he was. I know some people complained that the songs dragged on for too long but I really like when artists do solos for ages: just like in the 70s.

Prodigy: 7/10 Again: not my style but great Music to get drunk to.

Sunday:

The Script: 2/10 This pretty much felt like a boy band for the teenagers ( no offence to all youngsters out there)

Kasabian: 8/10 Powerful performance. Bonus Point for the Doors cover.

Muse 10/10 What can I say? This is what I call a headliner.

Well, Rock Werchter is one incredible festival. I had an amazing time and will be back in the future, especially if Foo's headline next year.

My personal highlights would be; Royal Blood, Muse (one of the best live bands ever), Fidlar, Marmozets, Faith No More, NG, Kasabian and Rise Against.

Great great weekend but what a poor friday, only Damian saved my day. I gave a try to Mumford but the set lacked energy and the guitar changes took AGES. And then Pharrell was lame as fu*k, surely the worst performance of the weekend

Did any of you see Damien Rice? Beyond incredible concert.

This was the best concert of the edition by far !! I totally agree with you ! My second favourite show was a big surprise for me : the Cat Empire !! What a fantastic show !!

Many bands gave an awesome show and it's hard to pick a show better than the others (Muse, Die Antwoord, The Prodigy, Kasabian, Mumford and Sons, Faith No More...).

But Damien Rice was the best. For sure.

Edited by Tremousse

Oscar and the wolf were far and away the best performance of the festival for me!

Really hate how crowded the tents get for a lot of acts, they should really look into a better system or put screens on the outside of the tent so people can watch from the grass if it's full instead of fighting their way in.

Anyway I had a blast.

Any predictions for next year other than Foos? :)

Oscar and the wolf were far and away the best performance of the festival for me!

Really hate how crowded the tents get for a lot of acts, they should really look into a better system or put screens on the outside of the tent so people can watch from the grass if it's full instead of fighting their way in.

Anyway I had a blast.

Any predictions for next year other than Foos? :)

Coldplay has been mentioned earlier in the thread. Other than that Kings of Leon and Editors are extremely regular visitors at RW. I personally hope for Radiohead next year since they are currently recording a new album.

What an incredible festival! Will definitely be back at some point in the future. Thought that Muse, kasabian, faith no more, royal blood and marmosets all smashed it. Honourable mentions going to FIDLAR, EoDM, Rise against (despite the dodgy sound) and the war on drugs.

Mumford and sons were disappointing and the tent for elbow was far to busy but overall that was a fantastic 5 days.

for me:

++++ (outstanding)

1 Damien Rice

2 The War on Drugs

3 Oscar & the Wolf

+++ (very good)

Kasabian

Balthazar

The Prodigy

Caribou

Elbow

Muse

Ibeyi

Angus & Julia Stone

Archive

Alt-J (but too crowded)

have expected more: OMAM (the energy has gone somehow)

Edited by branvan

Damien Rice concert was absolutely amazing! 

I also had outstanding time with Elbow, Ryan Adams & DCFC.

Another great performances were FNM, FATM & The Vaccines.

Muses' show was extravaganza, good way to close the festival I guess. 

There were some disappointments too:

*Chet Faker - I know he mostly perform alone but if u already here with a guitarist and a drummer - why not use them???

*The lack of crowd during FNM - I understand the disappointment of people with FF absent  and the debate whether FNM deserve their spot but come on, they're a legendary band with a huge performer! I was hoping to stand in the middle, but when I go to that middle spot,  I found myself alone way in the back...

*Lineup changing notifications - maybe there is way to get the info at the festival ground but I dont know where to get it. if someone knows I'll be glad if he can share it. we didnt have wifi so we didnt know anything about the Friday changes so the adjustments took us some time (I went 3 times to the Barn to hear DCFC until it was actually their turn to show up).

My guess for headliners and co headliner/subs next year:

Thur

Foo fighters

Volbeat

Fri

Coldplay

Editors

Sat

Rammstein

Avenged sevenfold

Sun

Pearl jam

Bjork

Gosh if we got Pearl Jam + the Foos... Well I hope so.

I bet on Foo Fighters, Editors, Coldplay, System of a Down, Ben Howard, Frank Turner, The Gaslight Anthem, Future Islands, The National.

Gosh if we got Pearl Jam + the Foos... Well I hope so.

I bet on Foo Fighters, Editors, Coldplay, System of a Down, Ben Howard, Frank Turner, The Gaslight Anthem, Future Islands, The National.

Pearl Jam played last year, that makes them rather unlikely.