Muse

eldest300

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm just given it a listen and i honestly wouldn't say it's any worse than their last two albums. even the songs that people on here found most offensive (Revolt and Aftermath), whilst not being great, weren't any more offensive to my ears than Muse doing dubstep (The 2nd Law) or Muse being incredibly fucking boring (The Resistance). doubt i'll ever come back to this album as i've pretty much entirely outgrown Muse these days, but if i were still a fan i'd not be as upset as i was when The Resistance came out, that's for sure

still don't entirely understand why they kept up with the 'this is a heavy album' thing for so long, though, as that idea was clearly scrapped very early on

I think the heavy thing was misinterpreted. They said they were going back to basics (those three in a room with their instruments rather than fuckloadsw of orchestral/whatever elements), and that it would be dark (in terms of the theme). I'm not sure they ever said it was going to be heavy.

I have to say although there are some interesting moments with the new material it's very very credible live material. Songs like Mercy that are a little bit "i'm not too sure" I think will work a treat. Let alone Reapers, The Handler, Dead Inside and Psycho!

Dead Inside is really, really bad live. The opening "DEAD INSIDE" doesn't have the synth with it live, so it's just Matt shouting it and sounds really, really weird. Gave me nightmares.

People seem impressed with Mercy live but I didn't think it was great.

Reapers was decent live but I actually didn't think it was that good a song until hearing the studio version.

Psycho's awesome live. Perfect opener.

All IMO, of course.

Psycho and Reapers (and The Handler, somewhat) were heavy and people liked that element so I think they did an okay enough job there. I think the 'back to basics' or whatever was the thing that might not have been lived up to because that sort of cock-rock shit and hiding behind thumping basslines isn't what they used to do. I still haven't listened though, I'll probably wait for an official stream.

But

dead inside is madness part 2

psycho is the 030505066 riff part 2

mercy is starlight/glorious part 2

reapers is hot for teacher/freedom/bombtrack part 2

the handler is in your world part 2

defector is dead inside part 2

revolt is big freeze part 2

the globalist wishes it was citizen erased part 2 but is really explorers part 2

drones is drones part 1, that's not a good thing

I hate using capital letters on my phone it takes so much effort I apoligise

This might explain why I didn't mind Mercy lol.

I think the heavy thing was misinterpreted. They said they were going back to basics (those three in a room with their instruments rather than fuckloadsw of orchestral/whatever elements), and that it would be dark (in terms of the theme). I'm not sure they ever said it was going to be heavy.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/muses-matt-bellamy-promises-to-get-heavy-on-new-album-20140729

Not exactly 'every song will be heavy and full of riffs' but still gave people hope for an album like that, just glad I didn't expect it

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/muses-matt-bellamy-promises-to-get-heavy-on-new-album-20140729

Not exactly 'every song will be heavy and full of riffs' but still gave people hope for an album like that, just glad I didn't expect it

Well it does "get heavy".

The main thing they've been saying is this quote from that article, which they pretty much stuck to:

"I have this strong feeling that the next album should be something that really does strip away the additional things that we've experimented with on the last two albums, which is electronics, symphonics and orchestral work and all that kind of stuff. It will be nice to reconnect and remind ourselves of just the basics of who we are."

Well it does "get heavy".

The main thing they've been saying is this quote from that article, which they pretty much stuck to:

"I have this strong feeling that the next album should be something that really does strip away the additional things that we've experimented with on the last two albums, which is electronics, symphonics and orchestral work and all that kind of stuff. It will be nice to reconnect and remind ourselves of just the basics of who we are."

Yeah I agree they definitely do achieve that, its just I think others took the 'get heavy' quote and expected too much from it and when thats what they didn't get, they just slated the entirety of the album even though it still has a few decent songs. Muse set out to do exactly what they said they would, just very poorly in some parts

Edited by Followill

I have to say although there are some interesting moments with the new material it's very very credible live material. Songs like Mercy that are a little bit "i'm not too sure" I think will work a treat. Let alone Reapers, The Handler, Dead Inside and Psycho!

Mercy when that drum fill and bass distortion kicks in sounds great live.Also as cheesy stadium rock as it is big piano chords in that environment work.

It's not actually as bad as I was expecting... but it's bad and to be fair I was expecting Lulu. There are some good ideas in there but they get shit all over. Overproduced, maybe?

Defector is fantastic. Pretty much all the rest is junk. I couldn't manage more than about thirty seconds of the title track as I got the gist.

I have now listened to the album and my opinion is thus:

It is a bit shit really. I really liked Psycho when I first heard it and I am disappointed. Better than the last album but not a patch on the first 3. All downhill from here I fear :(

Just heard Defector and The Handler.

Defector could easily of gone on Showbiz,sounds very 90's alternative rock to me if you take his vocals out.

The Handler on one listen seemed more of an album track,haven't made a decision on it but didn't really excite me.

Has anyone got a link for the album?I'm pretty shit with stuff like that lol.

First listen...

Ok,no idea what the fuck 'Drones' is all about I'll be honest lol.Pretty shocking.

Surprises me that you all say the first half is the better half though as after 'Mercy' the rest other than 'Aftermath' is heavier than anything they've done in years.

Didn't you all dislike the first half originally and now after a few listens appreciate it more now?

'Revolt' haven't quite made my mind up but I think it will be bouncier live and suit a big venue better.

I think the first half is worse. There's definitely an element of hype being attached to those songs premiering first as to why they are seen as better. If we'd heard all of it for the first time we'd have been rolling around laughing at the way he sings "A FUCKIN' PSYCHO" as much as Drones or that other laughably shit one.

First listen...

Ok,no idea what the fuck 'Drones' is all about I'll be honest lol.Pretty shocking.

Surprises me that you all say the first half is the better half though as after 'Mercy' the rest other than 'Aftermath' is heavier than anything they've done in years.

Didn't you all dislike the first half originally and now after a few listens appreciate it more now?

'Revolt' haven't quite made my mind up but I think it will be bouncier live and suit a big venue better.

Heavy doesn't automatically equal good. I've come around to the album a bit, the only song I actively hate is Drones. The Globalist and Aftermath are less than meh, Revolt and The Handler are meh and then I like the rest. There isn't a single song that I'd say I love though

Shock horror,Metallimuse does like the new album lol.

Listened to it twice now and enjoy it.

I do love 'Mercy',seeing it live tipped the scales that way.

Really like 'Defactor' and 'The Handler',there's elements of 'Stockholm Syndrome' in it I can hear.

Did someone in here liken 'Revolt' to The Killers?I can definitely hear that which does put me off a bit but as I said,I think it will sound better in a big show setting with everyone bouncing along.

'Aftermath' has a kind of 'Brothers In Arms' kind of feel but as an album song does what it should.You needed a slower pace song there for the flow of it to work.

Enjoy 'Dead Inside' as well as I was a big 'Madness' fan after I saw it live as it makes sense.

'Drones' I hate though.Really do.I know it's based on an old symphony piece or whatever but yeah,really shocking lol.