Are you a camper or is it just for Glastonbury?

Guest bexj

Some friends we went with this year have never been camping outside of Glastonbury, yet I would prefer to camp on weekends away rather than stay in a hotel... Are you purely a festival camper?

My caravan was bought for festivals but I'm always looking for excuses to use it. Took it to a wedding the other week as an alternative to staying in a hotel. It was Mrs GH's first night in it. But she wasn't impressed so it looks like largely remaining a lad's festival vehicle.

I was brought up camping, I find festival camping hard work to "normal" camping My parents use to set up camp in a field with just a tap! I do however enjoy both festival and normal camping.

Would love a upgrade to a camper van though...

i love wild camping . i used to cycle tour but am to old for all that now lol [ not 21 no more you know ] now i have my 2nd Beddie an old 32 year old Bedford CF which i love i was out last week and am off tomo but as its like [about] £20/25 to camp i prefer to wild camp finding a nice outa the way place its great and as long as you dont leave shit behind i dont see a problem ....unlike some landowners and old bill lol

I was a Guide so I am used to camping. We were "lucky" enough to not have reached the 21st century when it came to tents though. We had the old 3 pole ridge pole tents with massive heavy canvas and no floor when we went on Guide camps. I've also camped under a groundsheet held up with sticks from the woods. My head was outside and the cow in the field got alarmingly close at one point in the night! That's enough to find a nice 4 man tent at Glastonbury a complete luxury.

I can't say I'd make a point of going camping any other time though. That's not because I don't like it, it's just because I can't be bothered. I was thinking about taking my younger stepbrothers camping over the summer but I seem to be running out of weekends so it probably wont happen now! I would've liked to have had the opportunity to show them how to build a fire after collecting wood, how to cook on a fire, how to make things like bananas with chocolate centres on a campfire etc. It's the kind of thing I have many fond memories of :)

We use the cv through the year when we can, like cheaper accommodation for weddings, and family camping, then 2 weeks in France in August. We also use tents, I've used bell tents, ridge, canvas and now pop up.

My favourite is to park up at a certain North Yorkshire venue, watch the band and crash for the night before leaving next morning. Beautiful countryside to walk round.

I enjoy camping outside of festivals - the other year we did a few festivals and with weekends and bank holidays away I think we clocked up 20 or more nights under canvas.

We would love a camper van but I would still leave it at home for Glasto and camp in Big Ground !

I'm camping 7 times this year. Once a Scout.... Always a scout.

Last weekend I wide cycle camped in the most amazing thunder storms. Once had a VW camper for 3 years.

I've just loaded up the family tent as we're off to a craft camp this week.

Am planning to convert a minibus to a camper in the next 5 years or so.

So no, Glasto is just one of my camps each year.

Used to go camping all the time up in the lake district and north wales when I lived in the UK.

Moved back to Ireland and was storing all my gear in a friends shed and it all went up in flames. Was devastated.

So back to building it all up again, clean slate so hoping to invest in a nice canvas tent. I'm not a morning person so the worst part of camping for me is getting boiled out of the tent first thing.

Glastonbury is only the second time camping at a festival and most definitely harder. Just the distance to toilets and cleaning facilities alone make it a chore. Worth it but a chore nonetheless.

I've always been camping, festival wise took a caravan for a few years, second time I took a tent as well so I could camp. Found the CV fields to be a bit too quiet, prefer the atmosphere of the camping areas... HMV cleaning facilities? Isn't that what wet wipes are for ;-)

Love camping,there are some amazing camping sites around the uk with stunning locations with sea views etc.

If you have a good set up you can be very comfortable,proper pillows and duvets etc and getting back to nature and eating al fresco is a welcome break from concrete central.

Spent a weekend with some friends in a travel lodge recently,we were all in one room and after a few days it was depressing and claustrophobic,would of much rather gone camping,yes you can stay in nice hotels but they cost a fortune in this country and I don't like people fussing round me,I feel as though I should help with the washing up or something.

I used to go camping regularly with my family as a child. Happy days. I still love camping with friends but that's only ever done at festivals nowadays. I'd love to do some more non festival camping with friends. As friends we use to go to Shell Island quite often. I'm not sure what the rules are there now, but we used to be able to camp in the isolated spaces between the sand dunes and have large fires. There's nothing like having a real fire going when you are camping.

All that said, we have now got a camper van with the most comfortable bed in the world in it. I suspect this means my camping in a tent days will get even fewer than they used to be. No worries though - as long we can get out of the city every now and again then all's well.

I used to hate camping being a bit of a whinging c**t but got into it recently...good sleeping bag, earplugs, valium and booze are my tricks of the trade..

I agree with Thearg, there's some incredible camping sites around the UK..does make one appreciate how beautiful this country is. I think as long as your bed is sorted and you can have a number two in reasonable comfort it's quite good.

Its funny how different folk are! I love camping, would camp in my garden if the neighbours didnt think we were freaks! But then I've camped since before I could walk, it amazes me how many go to Glastonbury that arent hardened campers....really thats thevtiugh end and normal camping tends to be a lot easier!

Festival camping only for me....I don't think I've even actually been outside of the festival.

I'd quite like to, not opposed to doing camping or anything, just haven't for various reasons, lack of other people wanting to do I'd guess would be the main reason :P