Ticket sale and broadband speed

Guest Uh-Oh!

Quick question, does your chances of getting a ticket improve depending on your broadband speed, if so will those with megafast fibreoptic connections have an advantage over us stuck with ADSL, ie rural dwellers

Edited by Uh-Oh!

Nip this one in the bud. It makes no difference. tbh the See ticket webapp is very lean and probably only amounts to a few hundred Kb anyway.

cheers,thought that would be the case but werent sure, others tell me you need fastest connection blah blah blah but tbh, persistence friends and luck is what you need

Partially. I'd say speed and latency affects your ability to refresh. So you may be able to refresh faster and more often with a better connection.

Very very very slightly with the amount of data you actually download from the SEE servers. It's basically a few lines of text going either direction.

Its just about luck that when you try, there is a connection open at the other end.

The refresh being slow is all at the server, so wouldn't be affected by your connection speed.

I do have one tip though - if you've entered your details and get a timeout, hit Refresh, rather than going back and resubmitting. Well, at least with the way it was set up last time. Might be different in October I suppose.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

They may be confused between speed and latency - in a way they're right.

To keep it simple latency is how long a response takes to be recieved - such as when you ask for a webpage how long it takes to come back with a response. The speed of that connection is how quickly that webpage can be downloaded

The pages are very small so the speed of the connection is virtually irrelevant unless you're on actual dial-up.

The killer is high latency and if your mates play games online etc this comes up regularly. Wi-fi connections are terrible for this as they require an extra step of encoding-decoding to turn your request and response into radio waves and back again, but it's still milliseconds and not really an issue here like it is in gaming/video chat/etc

In practise the servers are usually so busy that THEIR latency vastly outweighs anything at your end as long as you have a half-decent computer and connection. It's all become a bit irrelevant

I've got through using a dongle before and ex had that all singing all dancing Virgin Broadband and he couldn't get through....

Back in Oct I did connect my mac to the router with the cable... I'm not sure if it helped or not, friends laughed when I asked if it would help..... Needless to say I got through :)

Its all about luck....

Don't really think that the internet speed would matter, since it is the See server that handles the requests.

I do wonder though if purchasing abroad matters, I'm from Holland, and got through within 3 minutes or so.

Any thoughts on that?

Not many of the above comments make sense to me except people who think its easier from "abroad" I tried last October from Ireland (republic) and didn't even get a sniff so think you can discount that theory. Got my ticket in the resale when I opted for the coaches.

I didn't even get my own tickets this year - mattyc1965 off efests got them for me ( thank's matt, I owe you one).

I've had an idea. To my way of thinking, it's just the rapidity of pressing F5 that counts ( although my knowledge on these technical areas is akin to that if a caveman were ever given a computer and told to work it out). Anyway, I was kind of wondering if it wouldn't be to one's advantage to lash the one index finger of one's tremorous elderly relative to the F5 button on T Day. You could start them off at, say, 8.30am - just to be on the safe side and to give them a warm up as well as a purpose in life.

They may be confused between speed and latency - in a way they're right.To keep it simple latency is how long a response takes to be recieved - such as when you ask for a webpage how long it takes to come back with a response. The speed of that connection is how quickly that webpage can be downloadedThe pages are very small so the speed of the connection is virtually irrelevant unless you're on actual dial-up.The killer is high latency and if your mates play games online etc this comes up regularly. Wi-fi connections are terrible for this as they require an extra step of encoding-decoding to turn your request and response into radio waves and back again, but it's still milliseconds and not really an issue here like it is in gaming/video chat/etcIn practise the servers are usually so busy that THEIR latency vastly outweighs anything at your end as long as you have a half-decent computer and connection. It's all become a bit irrelevant

Er, latency?

Recalling the various threads about ticket day from last year, there are a number of things you can do to improve your chances - some technical, some not. IIRC, these included:

Be organised - be up in time and test the device you are going to use for getting the ticket the night before (I did last year and my PC caught fire due to an electrical fault. At least it happened then - I was able to get another one going that night in readiness for the day),

Use multiple browser processes rather than multiple tabs (although IE11 now spawns a single process per tab I think - dunno about other browsers),

Avoid a wireless connection - connect a RJ45 cable directly to your router for the device you are browsing from,

Use multiple WAN connections - this is technically achieved my having mates all trying for a common registration pool all as well, however if you have access to other internet gateways, consider using those with a separate browser session,

Hit the site once or twice a few hours or days before ticket day so that the See reputation filter is aware of your IP and doesn't misinterpret it as a malicious DoS attack later on when you are doing the mega-F5 thing. It may even place a cookie on your device as well (remember to enable cookies for See beforehand). There was a lengthy discussion on here last year where the security hardware used by See was identified and its behaviour analysed to ascertain what it considered to be a 'healthy' connection attempt and therefore a legitimate ticket purchasing session.

If I remember any more, I'll add them here.