Convincing friends to attend

Guest Mouseboy11

How have people overcome this issue? It's frustrating particularly as I have a group of friends who I know if I could convince them to step out of their comfort zones they'd really love it. I just need to push them into coming! We had a group of six trying for tickets last October and then come April in the resale I was the only one left with an interest in going. So, how has everyone convinced those on the fence to into going?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't try to convince people either. If they really object to certain aspects of the festival and you tell them it's fine and they don't enjoy it they will just make you miserable while you are there. I have a few friends and family who based on watching it more and perhaps because of my Glastobating for the majority of the year have decided they want to come. If anything I am making it clear to them just how hard it can be to make sure they can handle it, not because I don't want them to come but because I don't want them to come because they think it is all amazing and then be really unhappy about the tougher parts of the festival like all the walking, the possible mud (NFR, NFC,NFES obviously!), carrying stuff, toilets etc. I hope my honest conversations don't put them off because it would be great to share the experience with my sister and her boyfriend and our friend but if it does then it's probably because it wouldn't be right for them.

Selfishly it would be good for me if they come because then 5 of us are trying for tickets rather than the 2 of us that normally do but remember you will be there with them and if you dismiss their concerns and those concerns are things that exist then they will definitely moan when they are there.

When I was eighteen I was really frustrated by my mates, who would never get out of their comfort zone or do anything new. I really wanted to go to Glastonbury - they said they would, then backed out at the last minute (those were the days when you could just rock up to HMV and buy a ticket - imagine!).

I was trudging home at about 2 in the morning in a foul mood the day before the festie, and in the distance came walking this girl I had only ever gazed at from afar across a hazy pub we both frequented. I had a stupid teenage nickname in my head for her, which probably tells you how I felt about her - 'The Most Beautiful Girl in Hackney' (lol - *cringe*). Anway, as she passed I was amazed to hear her say 'Hi!'. I didn't know I was on her radar, let alone someone she'd say hi to. She asked what I was up to, and I said I was pissed off with my stupid friends cos there's this festival I wanted to go to... blah, blah, blah...

She was like, 'oh me and mates are all going, and we're leaving in a few hours time, and you can jump in the van if you want, oh and we might have a spare ticket...'

Needless to say I ran home and got my stuff. There were about twelve of us packed into a transit van, and over that extended weekend I met an amazing bunch of people, all into the squat / hippy / punk scene, many of whom became good friends (some of whom I'm friends with to this day). I never wanted for company at festivals again, and I did other stuff with my other mates.

Dunno if there's a universal truth in this, other than - don't let your mates hold you back.

When I was eighteen I was really frustrated by my mates, who would never get out of their comfort zone or do anything new. I really wanted to go to Glastonbury - they said they would, then backed out at the last minute (those were the days when you could just rock up to HMV and buy a ticket - imagine!).

I was trudging home at about 2 in the morning in a foul mood the day before the festie, and in the distance came walking this girl I had only ever gazed at from afar across a hazy pub we both frequented. I had a stupid teenage nickname in my head for her, which probably tells you how I felt about her - 'The Most Beautiful Girl in Hackney' (lol - *cringe*). Anway, as she passed I was amazed to hear her say 'Hi!'. I didn't know I was on her radar, let alone someone she'd say hi to. She asked what I was up to, and I said I was pissed off with my stupid friends cos there's this festival I wanted to go to... blah, blah, blah...

She was like, 'oh me and mates are all going, and we're leaving in a few hours time, and you can jump in the van if you want, oh and we might have a spare ticket...'

Needless to say I ran home and got my stuff. There were about twelve of us packed into a transit van, and over that extended weekend I met an amazing bunch of people, all into the squat / hippy / punk scene, many of whom became good friends (some of whom I'm friends with to this day). I never wanted for company at festivals again, and I did other stuff with my other mates.

Dunno if there's a universal truth in this, other than - don't let your mates hold you back.

That is a great story, but what happened to the most beautiful girl in Hackney ?

Back to the OP, I bang on about how brilliant Glastonbury is ALL the time. I know my friends get annoyed with it. I also point out that it is hard work, there is so much walking, lugging stuff, its a commitment.

If people really want to go, they'll go. If they sort of want to go, and go, they'll be moany ALL the time!!!

As HMV said, leave it for people who really want it!

(I also want toknow what happened to the most Beautiful Girl in Hackney!)

(I also want toknow what happened to the most Beautiful Girl in Hackney!)

I reckon she got priced out of Hackney, due to the redevelopment and gentrification of the area. She's currently the third most Beautiful Girl in Thamesmead.

If your friends need convincing then they will be hard work at the festival. I recon you should leave it to the ones who really want to go. If you pay for there tickets and they drop out you end up out of pocket and also deny someone who really wants to go.

It's quite hard work but in a way what's nice about Glastonbury - given all the ticket trouble and convincing required - is that everyone who's there is there because they want to be.

I don't want to fill Glasto with people who need to be persuaded too much. Curious, yes. Unsure - of course. But be ready to go.

There's a woman I work with who is talking of going next year. I asked her if she had registered and she asking if that means she can pay a deposit now. Her questions have been quite amusing but I know if she does go through with it, she'll get a ticket, I won't and she'll have a lovely time sitting in a chair at the Pyramid all weekend.

Each to their own and all that but I'm trying to convey to her how much hard work it can be but am getting nowhere.

How have people overcome this issue? It's frustrating particularly as I have a group of friends who I know if I could convince them to step out of their comfort zones they'd really love it. I just need to push them into coming! We had a group of six trying for tickets last October and then come April in the resale I was the only one left with an interest in going. So, how has everyone convinced those on the fence to into going?

Get someone else to do it. You are obviously rubbish

You're probably right and I should just leave them to it as if they need that much convincing they're probably not that arsed about going in the first place. Off to Uni come September so hopefully I'll meet a good group there!

Edited by Mouseboy11

I found it tricky because most people had already been to Leeds fest etc, had "grown out of it" and expected Glasto to be more of the same.

I went with 1 friend in 2011 - we came home, raved about it for months, and finally convinced a bigger group to come down this year - they loved it. So I wouldn't give up on your friends just yet!

Unfortunately I am now back at square one as a few of the group are now teachers and wont be able to get the time off.

Ask once or twice if they want to go, a quick reminder before registration and then thats it for me!

I got a friend a ticket last year, they backed out when it came to paying the balance for no particular reason and left me to go as a soloer (had a fantastic time anyway and met/camped with fantastic people) and 15 quid down on the admin fee as they hadn't paid me the deposit!

Edited by LondonTom

myself and the wife will be on 2 different computers trying to get tickets, our mates are registered and saying they want to go but i wont push it. I may push them to try and get us a ticket for more of a chance but im quite prepared to just try the refresh game, didnt work last year but ill try again. it worked for the stone roses reunion gigs in manchester in 2012 though. the sudden shock when i got onto a ticket page was unreal, id imagine seeing the ticket screen for glasto will be amazing