Best SE corner area?

Guest Winslow Leach

I was underwhelmed by the venues at Block 9, personally. They look amazing from the outside, but inside you might as well be anywhere. I didn't feel there was anything particularly special about them, especially in comparison to elsewhere.

The concept, creativity and art at Shangri-La gets my award this year. I didn't find anywhere I could stay for very long at but the sheer innovation was incredible. I also enjoyed Unfairground.

Wandered around them all as part of our 'tour' when we arrived on the Thurs afternoon, and again on the Sunday night when it had quietened down a bit.

The only area I spent a significant amount of time in was Block 9 - such an impressive sight. London Underground felt like I was at an underground club in Leeds rather than a field in Pilton which is bizarre in itself. Also queued to get in NYC Downlow which was a hilarious and slightly surreal experience.

2011 was mostly spent soaking up the Blade Runner experience in Shangri-La, so will look to explore the the other areas, particularly the Common, next time.

I really enjoyed Bez'z Acid House, and the Hell Stage, A lot of other times I found it far too busy that I found it less enjoyable.

Also managed to have a speaker in one of the micro venues in Shangri Hell destroy my ear drum on the last night, which sucked

Spent much of each night somewhere on the walk through from Shangri-Hell to Bez's.

My favourite area of Glastonbury this year.

Is that the Rocket Lounge area? We've been there every Thursday for our last few visits. Great music, good people round there. Always end up talking to strangers there.

Bez's Acid House - 03:45 Sunday morning in time for DJ Sneak. Get in and start dancing. About 04:10 I look up to see someone that isn't Sneak in the DJ booth. Realise we're in the wrong part of the acid house. It's got two rooms divided by a drinks bar. Look through a gap in the tent to outside and the bit we want to be in - huge queue. Duke's of Hazzard it over the bar in the middle into the other bit nearly breaking my ankle as the floor appears to be lower than the first side. Wary of being thrown out by unseen security so shimmy into the crowd immediately like a rave ninja.

Proceed to talk codshit to strangers and funk on down until six am.

Good times.

I didn't like Shangri La as much this year, I felt that the red block divides weren't as visually fun as the previous market corridoor feel. It is way too busy and I feel like you are constantly having to queue for everything! The Temple was awesome, London Underground is always good to find space under the lazers and Bez's acid House is always brilliant! They have got the Madchester design perfect in there!

The Common, Glasto Latino was a welcome break from electronic late night music and real quality artists late at night. i had a ball there on the Saturday night.

For me Block 9 has reached a point of less enjoyment, i do enjoy the downlow but this year the queues where way to much most of the time.

Shangra La? i didnt feel it this year, i didnt think the theme worked.

unfairground i never spent much time in this year..

The Common, Glasto Latino was a welcome break from electronic late night music and real quality artists late at night. i had a ball there on the Saturday night.

For me Block 9 has reached a point of less enjoyment, i do enjoy the downlow but this year the queues where way to much most of the time.

Shangra La? i didnt feel it this year, i didnt think the theme worked.

unfairground i never spent much time in this year..

I do really like Block 9 but its relatively small size works against it. You can feel like you've exhausted it pretty quickly.

Edited by Winslow Leach

Absolutely loved Shangri-La this year - yes, the alleyways were better than the hexagonal micro-venues but I threw myself into it like never before and got a lot out of it - 66Sick especially was a fantastic venue. I also liked the addition of the space with the filing cabinets to chill and get away from the mentalness and meet new friends.

London Underground is a favourite of mine - the exterior is stunning and inside is just my kind of thing - dark, hot, dingy and grimy. Beautiful.

I really like the Common, but was underwhelmed when I got inside the Cave - looks great outside but was a bit shit inside. Still haven't managed to get into the Temple - it looks amazing, but the queues were always mental. Do they move fast or is there a decent time to get there? Rum Shack, again, was fantastic, with some really good artists - no clue who they were though!

Bez's Acid House gets another shout out, along with Salon Carousel.

SE Corner overall was definitely the best bit this time around.