Future headliners

Guest swede

I was at a friends last weekend having a few drinks, watching some Glasto sets on BBC, and generally having a catch up after Glasto and the topic of future headliners came up. I know its been discussed to death on here over the years but one thing that came out of it was potential first time headliners within the next 10 years, bands that arent headliners right now but have the potential to top the bill one day, my suggestions were....

Foals

Disclosure

Haim

Paulo Nutini

Paolo is doing it on his next album I reckon, only explanation I can think of for him accepting that lower slot this year. Elbow next album too.

Massive fan but think Haim's next album is really important for then, if it's the same as Days Are Gone they're too 'fun in the sun' for a headline slot for me.

Edited by Zac Quinn

I think the reason Metallica worked so well is because of the size of them, they have at least a couple of songs that the vast majority of the people at the fest would already know and are legends in their own right. I'd love someone like Alter Bridge to take a high pyramid slot at some point but it'll never happen because generally people who go to glastonbury won't be familiar enough with the genre. Whilst Kanye and (unfortunately) Eminem are both plausible headliners, the other metal giants like Iron Maiden are not. I wouldn't fully rule out Sabbath doing it eventually but I'd say it's very unlikely.

Foals

Bombay Bicycle Club

Rudimental

Ellie Goulding

Adele

Ed Sheeran

Haim

The National

Don't necessarily even like all these but I can see them all being big enough to headline one day if they have a couple of other hit albums under their belt.

Edited by Ruwise

That isn't headline sized already I can see very few that are around right now. Foals, Florence, Disclosure and Royal Blood are the surefire ones. Perhaps Sheeran, Bugg, Vaccines, Rudimental, Bastille and The 1975 if they carry on their upward trajectories but in the musical climate that's uncertain I could only see a maximum of two of those reaching the heights. Royal Blood's rise suggests that there can be bands that we don't know about now but this time next year they could be the next huge thing so it's not necessarily a problem.

I don't really see the likes of Bombay or The National reaching the top so many albums in. There's a cutoff point where bands seem to get overlooked unless they completely sell out. HAIM would surprise me too as their album release after summer offered zero growth and were just playing the same type of slots as last year pre-album. They'd have to branch out a lot.

Don't know how much bigger Ed Sheeran needs to get, his new album just sold over a million in a fortnight. The issue for me is whether he'd be suited to it with no band etc and there's no evidence he can put together interesting sets/graphics to make up for it being just him and his pedal on stage either

Don't know how much bigger Ed Sheeran needs to get, his new album just sold over a million in a fortnight. The issue for me is whether he'd be suited to it with no band etc and there's no evidence he can put together interesting sets/graphics to make up for it being just him and his pedal on stage either

Teenage Girls! The Horror!

Would be amazing if The National made the step up, but I can’t see it. I think a lot of people would question them being big enough to headline the Other stage, even, and I don’t really envisage them having a hit single any time soon. Imagine Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks closing their set on the Pyramid, though.

Hadn’t really considered Paolo Nutini as a potential headliner before, but although I’m not a fan by any means, I quite enjoyed watching his set last night. Reckon he could pull it off.

Edited by bocumaroy