The Verdict

Guest gary1979666

What did everyone reckon to it then?

We only went yesterday, but had a great time, though a little sunburnt. I seemed quite quiet though - no queues or massive crowds really until Metallica came on. But made for a great atmosphere, really friendly and just a lovely vibe. The screens on the main stage were shocking though - couldn't actually see anything until it went dark!

As for the bands:

-Devin Townsend - was ok, but first band of the day for me so a bit difficult to get into.

-Airbourne - great stuff, lots of energy and fun to see him climb the rigging.

-Reel Big Fish - one of my highlights - bar the sound cut - lots of good sing a longs and skanking

-Dropkicks - Again really enjoyed

-Therapy? - Love this band, but Infernal Love was perhaps not the best album to play in full. Still loved the faster tracks.

-Metallica - great set list for me and as tight as ever. Seemed to skimp by lack of pyros. Also to play the txt song vote near the end seem odd - as these were the 3 songs at the bottom of the pile.

I happen to know why the screens were shocking, they were set up as you saw them, but with black polythene behind them, so you couldn't see through them, however rather soberingly whilst the photographers were waiting to go into the pit, a strong wind hit the tarp and knocked all the freestanding vertical light rigs over (the ones in the gaps between the long vertical stripes) - fortunately they didn't land on anyone, but this meant they had to remove the backing from the screens or risk it happening again.

After it had happened I couldn't help but look at the mammoth rig of lights above the stage in a whole new light.

Edited by 5co77ie

I thought it was good but as said above the screens got terrible without the backing - pity because I love Alice In Chains and couldn't see much. I also agree with the introductions idea being a bad idea, and I wasn't really bawled over by Metallica. Also I have been to Glastobury as well as Soni this year and I have to say that as a woman the toilet situation is pretty terrible - never had any problems at Glasto but the ques in the arena and campsite on mornings for toilets at Soni were ridiculous.

It was however a lovely more chilled atmosphere and I really enjoyed Prodigy, Chas and Dave and Alice In Chains in particular.

My first Soni. Overall really good. I don't like the 1st/2nd flip flop thing, you just don't have time to get from one to the other so you end up standing at the back amongst all the chair turtles who I just don't understand but that's another matter entirely. Sound interference is bad at Soni too during sound checks and from 3rd. I thought Metallica smashed it. It was amazing. They completely blew everyone else away.

As for the toilet situation why were so many men queuing? There were crappers in all the urinal bits which I thought was a brilliant idea. There was never much of a queue so a lot of girls clued up and just went in them.

The screens were a very expensive waste of time on Sunday, fine the rest of the time though. How can such a dangerous mistake be made? Food was good and I really did like the fact I could stand at a bar in the sun and still get a good view and sound from the bands on main. The bands I saw:

Gary Numan - meh.

Band of Skulls - great, really enjoyed.

Limp Bizkit - Excellent and loved the RATM cover.

Prodigy - sounded like they were shouting over a backing track and not in a good way. Bailed to see.......

Electric Wizard - Stoner rock done brilliantly. Awesome.

Ghost - Very good

Anthrax - Meh, there needs to be relegation and promotion into the "big 4" league.

Deftones - not as good as Leeds last year but still a good set. In my top 3 of the weekend.

New Model Army - WOW!! Smashed it, what a surprise. Brilliant crowd and atmosphere.

Maiden - Yeah they still got it.

Sisters of Mercy - I love this band but that performance was shite.

Airbourne - What's not to love?

Mastodon - Not as good as Download last year but still had me going.

Dropkick Murphys - Good but never seem to get the atmosphere the music deserves outside in the sun. Needs to be in a tent I reckon.

Alice in Chains - Great. Nailed it.

Metallica - Best by a mile and I'm not even that much of a fan.

Also saw Glamour f the Kill, good energetic set but heat in that tent was overbearing.

Virgin Marys, think I may have had too much to drink as this one is very hazy.

Nirvana Defiled. Nearly shat out a kidney. Man they were funny and played a great set. Brilliant.

I did the hotel and shuttle bus thing. It was super smooth and efficient apart from going back sunday night. Had to wait nearly an hour I think but that was down to the traffic and there wasn't much they could do about that. Overall a great weekend.

I thought it was excellent, mostly really well organised, and I hugely appreciated the surprisingly broad music policy which had us dancing to r'n'b and dancehall into the early hours of Monday morning.

Atari Teenage Riot and Mixhell were probably my top performances of the weekend, most of the comedy was great, and 90s me was well catered for with the triple-whammy of Kerbdog, Alice in Chains and Therapy? on Sunday evening (and "Nirvana" later on).

One bad thing: all the pickpockets. I got my wallet swiped on Friday night, and it seems the arseholes were out in force all weekend. Also, that guy who got beaten up and left for dead. What the fuck's that all about?

Yeah the late night dance tents were absolutely ace, agree ATR/Prodigy on friday topped the weekend for me, followed by some funfair rides when I was off my tits.

I was camped with a proper large group of people so didn't really witness any theft for once, apparently crime was down on previous years though so overall things went well but stuff like that with the dude left for dead is proper depressing.

Will be interesting to see if they make a return next year, with DL doing pish this year they'll surely be on the warpath to make sure it doesn't, but if it does happen I'll be glad, was so good to have it back again.

Slipknot's connection to the fest make them a safe bet as a return, and with a new album coming could go down pretty well. Stick SOAD/Tool/RATM or someone of that ilk next to them and it could be fairly successful with a good undercard. Depends whose elsewhere as well though if DL do go all out and get a massive line up to try and make up for this year and harm soni again then it'll be tough, if DL has another weaker year then the job is going to be easier.