Would Kanye at Glastonbury work?

mattgimmeshelter

So looking at his wireless set, and his 20 minute rant that caused alot of people to be rather pissed off. Should we be excited at the prospect of him being a future glastonbury headliner?

I personally hope it happens one day, because when Kanye performs he performs well! He's just a very risky booking (as wireless as proven), using 20 minutes of the set to not play songs but to rant about expensive clothes and how he buys these clothes but he's not part of the machine?

I'm conflicted, I'd love to see Kanye at a festival setting - but would it work at glastonbury?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes.

Edit: I don’t enjoy everything he’s done (love MBDTF, hated Yeezus), but he’s an interesting character. Liked this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/10940931/Kanye-West-Hip-hops-David-Bowie.html?utm_source=hootsuite&utm_campaign=hootsuite "Anyone who gets upset by West’s messianism is surely taking pop music way too seriously."

Edited by bocumaroy

I'm torn. I like his music but can't him as an individual. If push came to shove, I'd be thrilled if he was on the bill, but nervous because I don't think he'd ever see his set as anything other than The Kanye West Show. Except it's not The Kanye West Show, it's Glastonbury. That's why Metallica got it, and why Jay-Z got it. They realised they were part of something instead of the other way around.

If Kanye showed up on Pyramid and talked about himself for 20 minutes, I think the majority of the crowd, myself included, would vote with their feet. That's a hell of a risk for the organisers to take, and Kanye thinks far too highly of himself to be given ground rules.

The only person who has any say in if it would work or not, is Kanye...

He could turn up & play a great set (let's be honest he has more mainstream 'hits' than Jay-Z in the UK) or alternatively he could play obscure tracks & rant about himself for 30 minutes. The ball would be entirely in his court, assuming of course he's ever booked to play.

I don't mind his music personally but I would rather have someone headline who doesn't have the high possibility of spitting their dummy out on stage and talking about how awesome they are all night long. If that happened at Glastonbury there'd be a massive shit storm.

Edited by Ipayne

He has an ego, so what? I find his relentless positivity and self-belief actually pretty admirable. He actually engages in and talks about things he cares about, a lot of which are sort of, you know, moderately important in society.

I can see why he rubs people the wrong way, and I wouldn’t call myself a fan of him in any sense, but the way he’s portrayed is just fucking shit cynicism, and ignores a lot of what’s really good and positive about him as a public figure. I know people who could talk about him with a lot more eloquence, with actual points to make, but yeah, there are so many people more worthy of disdain.

He has an ego, so what? I find his relentless positivity and self-belief actually pretty admirable. He actually engages in and talks about things he cares about, a lot of which are sort of, you know, moderately important in society.

I can see why he rubs people the wrong way, and I wouldn’t call myself a fan of him in any sense, but the way he’s portrayed is just fucking shit cynicism, and ignores a lot of what’s really good and positive about him as a public figure. I know people who could talk about him with a lot more eloquence, with actual points to make, but yeah, there are so many people more worthy of disdain.

I'm personally for Kanye at Glastonbury, just on the off-chance it could be the greatest hip hop festival headline of all time.

But there's baggage, West won't be told not to rant or act as he is - he simply will find that insulting, everyone is on thin ice with him all the time!

If any other act ranted on stage for 20 minutes at Glastonbury they'd be pinned as the worst performance ever, so I can see why booking Kanye is a major risk.

I reckon he's one of, if not the best booking that Glastonbury is yet to make. I would worry about them pulling their usual trick of booking a headliner after they've hit the crest of their wave, but I think this is one crazy ship that is too barmy to ever sail off into the sunset.

He's makes outstanding music, and live he's so much of a wildcard that you can pretty much guarantee it'd be a headliner slot well spent. He could smash it and go down in history as a triumph, or he could completely fuck it up, but Yeezy don't do things by half. If he fucked it up, he would do such a spectacular shitstorm of a fuck up, that he would storm into the history books as the most over the top, Spinal Tap, panto, self-parody of a headline set that the world has ever seen. I would take that fifty car pile up over boringtons like Mumford or Kasabian or Kings Of Leon faster than you can blink, any day, any day, any day.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/10940931/Kanye-West-Hip-hops-David-Bowie.html?utm_source=hootsuite&utm_campaign=hootsuite "Anyone who gets upset by West’s messianism is surely taking pop music way too seriously."

[/THREAD!]

It perplexes me that it upsets people, he's not your mate, is he? He's a fucking caricature TV character, it's like complaining that Elton is too garish, or Marilyn Manson is too goth, or Chas n Dave are too cockney. And he makes fantastic music, and says some really interesting stuff once in a while.

He went downhill at a rapid rate after 'Graduation'. His ego became massively inflated after the albums release and the reviews to 'My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy' were ridiculous. Online sites like Pitchfork were adding more fuel to his already overly large head, then he went on to release an album called 'Yeezus'. I've seen comments on the internet of people saying that Yeesus was more grungy, I was intrigued to find out what they meant so I went and listened to it, and found that he's just sampled some Nirvana tunes and rapped over them.

A band sampling another track without any extra creativity is, in my opinion, an extremely lazy thing to do and just shows lack of creativity. He'll probably do Glastonbury one day but I'll be staying well away from that show if he does.

I reckon he's one of, if not the best booking that Glastonbury is yet to make. I would worry about them pulling their usual trick of booking a headliner after they've hit the crest of their wave, but I think this is one crazy ship that is too barmy to ever sail off into the sunset.

He's makes outstanding music, and live he's so much of a wildcard that you can pretty much guarantee it'd be a headliner slot well spent. He could smash it and go down in history as a triumph, or he could completely fuck it up, but Yeezy don't do things by half. If he fucked it up, he would do such a spectacular shitstorm of a fuck up, that he would storm into the history books as the most over the top, Spinal Tap, panto, self-parody of a headline set that the world has ever seen. I would take that fifty car pile up over boringtons like Mumford or Kasabian or Kings Of Leon faster than you can blink, any day, any day, any day.

[/THREAD!]

It perplexes me that it upsets people, he's not your mate, is he? He's a fucking caricature TV character, it's like complaining that Elton is too garish, or Marilyn Manson is too goth, or Chas n Dave are too cockney. And he makes fantastic music, and says some really interesting stuff once in a while.

Was gonna say No but after reading this, watching a massive car crash would be very entertaining.

So yes to Kanye!

I reckon he's one of, if not the best booking that Glastonbury is yet to make.

This statement is so true, after the Rolling Stones, Metallica and (as it looks) Fleetwood Mac next year. Who else is there on the old band bucket list that hasn't done it already?

The shift to more demanded modern artists is imminent, I really hope they do actually get Kanye to do it one year - I just hope it doesn't bomb.