'This has been the highlight of our careers' etc

Guest Midnight Man

All three headliners, and other acts I saw at the weekend, made out that playing Glastonbury was the best thing that ever happened to them - or a variation of it. This never used to happen so much, did it?

I realise it's stagecraft, but maybe they could turn it down a notch.

Did anyone see any instances of any performers being provocative, controversial or downright rude to the audience?

Quite a few bands I saw on the smaller stages were made up to be there & at least one of them JJ Rosa, was surprised at the size of the audience. I'm pretty sure it was a genuine reaction.

Given the amount of options available to the paying punters, a crowd size is a good indicator of people who selected to see a particular artist/band as opposed to people just being there because.

I've seen metallica play quite alot of times, and you can tell each time they play they love playing, but i've never seen them enjoy playing as much as they did at glasto, you could tell on their faces they knew it was a special place and very special gig.

It was probably the best i've ever seen them play as well

It's a fairly glib thing for bands to say to be sure. But I don't underestimate that most if not all bands recognise the importance and significance of the exposure it gives them and therefore they are so much more up for it than other gigs.

I remember first time Klaxons played (2007? 2008?) they said they'd met each other at Glastonbury and it was clear (at least to me) the importance it had for them to now be there playing. Feck - they were smashed that day.

Arcade Fire - Nah. It was a big gig, but no more special than coachella.

Metallica - I think it was a big deal. They proved their point. You could tell by the speech about "this is for all uk heavy bands who dream of this etc..." Whether it was the night if their lives, Im not saying that - but a very special one? Certainly.

Kasabian - I don't think sunday will ever be topped for them to be honest. Me and my mate weren't going to go to see them, but nothing really appealled. Pleased I ventured to the Pyramid.

First time Ive ever seen all 3 Pyramid headliners.

The best Pyramid atmospheres Ive ever been in too.

I have no reason to doubt Metallica's sincerity - especially Lars'.

They had a lot to prove at Glastonbury; a lot of controversy surrounding their inclusion on the line-up from fellow acts as well as the media, Glastonbury attendees, you name it. I saw the interview Lars did on the BBC afterwards and, bearing in mind he's 50 years old, has just come off stage playing drums for 2 hours in a Metal band, was knackered, the last thing he wanted to do was have an interview, the guy could not only name some of the smaller acts playing the festival but for 30 hours before Metallica took the stage, he properly soaked up the vibe of Glastonbury. The impression I got from him was he didn't want to leave, which is an attitude both you, I and thousands of other people share hence the reason we're still on here talking about it. He knew the importance of the place and he was aware of the controversy that surrounded Metallica's inclusion, so it was important for them to respect it.

The reaction they got from the audience when they played - the singalong to Memory Remains, the chants to Master of Puppets, the reaction they got from the crowd to Enter Sandman and Seek and Destroy... for a distinctly Metal band to play to an audience like the one at Glastonbury which has a completely different psychology to one you'd find at any Metal festival the world over, the reaction they got would have been a genuine shock, and would have elicited some genuine emotion there.

For me Metallica were amazing - I've seen them 5 times now and that's the best gig they've ever played. Why? Because it was Glastonbury, and everything that comes with Glastonbury. I can only imagine it's the same for them.

I saw a few up and coming artists that seemed totally and genuinely overwhelmed by the size of the crowds they had attracted. Kate Tempest at the Rum Shack and Wolf Alice at John Peel were the 2 most notable ones. I only saw Arcade Fire but they did seem to be genuinely loving it.

I laughed when the stones said this last year.

Arcade fire have done coachella twice. I'd say to them it's probably more important than glasto as they still aren't universally liked here.

Kasabian, this is probably the peak in their career unless they break America. Can't see much else for them on the horizon...

I laughed when the stones said this last year.

Arcade fire have done coachella twice. I'd say to them it's probably more important than glasto as they still aren't universally liked here.

Kasabian, this is probably the peak in their career unless they break America. Can't see much else for them on the horizon...

If Arcade Fire don't think they are universally like here then it may well have been a highlight as they must have been feeling the love.

I think the young bands just making it do get overwhelmed though as it's their first sign of their success.

I would say Arcade Fire were genuine, watching the gig back the smiles between the band, the umpteen thank you's at the end and the interview on the BBC after points to them being sincerely humbled by the occasion. Win even makes reference in this weeks NME (I think it was, can't remember where I read it now) about how Glasto was so much better than Coachella.

I only saw a few bands over the whole weekend but two bands I saw, you could definitely tell it meant a huge amount to them. One was Lily Allen, Glastonbury is close to her heart, she's not missed a single one since she was only 6 weeks old, Joe Strummer was her godfather and she also met her husband at Glastonbury. You could just tell from her face that she was so happy to be there again and felt honoured to stand on the Pyramid stage once more.

Skinny Lister were the other band, they were on the Avalon stage. Maybe it's because I know two of them personally, but they really made the most of it and you could tell they felt slightly overwhelmed (in a good way) at the numbers that turned out to see them and the atmosphere. It really was the highlight of their career so far I believe. They've got bigger and better things coming their way for sure though.

Nothing wrong with the bands enjoying themselves, I just meant it all seemed like a big love-in (fine) but at times I was craving a bit of edge or something!

Blur in 09 was a genuine occasion where Damon got overwhelmed with the emotion of it all, and it was an unexpected triumph, but since then it seems obligatory for everyone to make some similar claim about how special their experience is going to be/was. It's beginning to make Glastonbury look like Wimbledon...