How did they handle the Friday blackout?

Vidsidasta

In the video here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28056363

At around 51 seconds, you can just about see the screens at the sides of the Pyramid stage. It looks like some red writing and doesn't look part of the set. Did anyone see what it said?

I was at the John Peel stage and Crystal Fighters had just finished. They'd started to set the stage for the next band, when "Gandalf" came out and made apologies but they're going to have to turn off the power and get everyone off the stage. He had some choice words to make about the decision, and invited everyone in the audience to just talk amongst themselves, have sex or have a w*nk since no-one will see them.

Was wondering how other stages handled it, particularly those which had acts performing. I see Rudimental were ushered off stage in that video above.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i went to see Parquet Courts just as it started absolutely pissing it down but the whole area was empty - about ten people in front of the stage - and i decided to go to the John Peel for Wild Beasts instead to escape the rain, but they didn't come on either. when the rain died down i went back to the Park and Parquet Courts came on late. seemed like most of the festival shut off during the storm

the red writing that came on the screen during rudimentals set when the storm kicked off read along the lines of 'due to the weather we may have to power down for a bit' or something similar to that

I think it was poorly handled in the sense that they didn't actually give any indication of what was happening initially.

I went to see Foster The People, and like the poster above me, got soaked, drowned rat would have been a compliment, and thought i'd just bail it, after they were 20 minutes late. Using somewhat flawed logic, i thought they'd just be missed out, as they said that they'd try to resume as soon as possible, but didn't actually indicate that the band would actually come on, and not be missed, so sadly missed them, which is a massive shame.

Credit though that Pyramid managed to catch up, and that the John Peel managed to only be 10 minutes slow!

i went to see Parquet Courts just as it started absolutely pissing it down but the whole area was empty - about ten people in front of the stage - and i decided to go to the John Peel for Wild Beasts instead to escape the rain, but they didn't come on either. when the rain died down i went back to the Park and Parquet Courts came on late. seemed like most of the festival shut off during the storm

I was at Wild Beasts, they came on late, as did Churches. Think pretty much every stage just ran late that night didn't they?

Saw Arcade Fire, no idea what time they finished - I was on another planet by then.

You know like in less enlightened times, people would think that storms were the gods punishing them for something bad they'd done? For a moment I wondered if we were being made to answer for the fact that we, as a society, have allowed Haim to exist.

Vintage Trouble played an unplugged set with a great deal of enthusiasm

Yes I thought that was brilliant with the crowd singing along. The band looked really touched by the crowds reaction.

Someone told me that on the acoustic stage the Fishmens friends went into the crowd and carried on singing.

I was at Wild Beasts, they came on late, as did Churches. Think pretty much every stage just ran late that night didn't they?

Saw Arcade Fire, no idea what time they finished - I was on another planet by then.

yeah i totally lost track of time so had no idea how it all worked from then. i remember Danny Brown only finishing like 5 minutes late so it obviously didn't slow things down very much. i didn't know what was going on with Wild Beasts but assumed they'd had to cancel due to it being really delayed. glad to hear that wasn't the case!

You know like in less enlightened times, people would think that storms were the gods punishing them for something bad they'd done? For a moment I wondered if we were being made to answer for the fact that we, as a society, have allowed Haim to exist.

enough of the Haim hate, you!

Fisherman's friends in acoustic were ushered off after 2 songs all the power went off and we were also told to stay at least 15ft from the tent poles which was kinda enforced by stewards, though I'm not sure most of them could judge how far 15ft was.

Fisherman's friends came out into the crowd and sang acoustically although the tent was so packed that most people couldn't get close enough to hear but well played on them for trying. They did manage to get most of the tent singing sloop John b.

After the power came back on they went back on stage and did two more songs.

Judging by the set times above I spent my time in the little tent blaring out drum and bass next to the Jerk Chicken Stall in the Market Area. A great time was had.

Didn't even realise there was a powercut until I read this thread...

Chvrches missed out on playing one song they said in an interview, if it was Strong Hand I'm saddened :(

Speak to anyone in that tiny crowd at Parquet Courts by any chance? My friend claims to have met the love of her life there before being taken around the back of the john peel stage and...

Speak to anyone in that tiny crowd at Parquet Courts by any chance? My friend claims to have met the love of her life there before being taken around the back of the john peel stage and...

ha unfortunately that was not me, but i did get caught smoking a joint and told to put it out. the guy then said 'got anything else on you mate?' and i told him i didn't. he let me off with a warning but said if he caught me again i'd be fully searched. absolutely shit myself as i was carrying a LOT of drugs

Jimi Goodwin returned to the park stage with waterproofs and an acoustic guitar for the few who waited it out! it was a moment i will remember forever! i was going to hang about for parquet courts, but was soaked to the bone, by the time i had reached the glade for Dub pistols at 6.30 i was virtually dry.