Your Journey Home

Guest kalifire

Had a bad experience with the train queues last year because we left camp mid-morning, so this year we were up at 5.30am, packed and moving by 6.45.

We were on a shuttle bus to the station by 7.45, on a train by 9.30am, and home in London for about midday.

Overall, a pretty painless experience both ways this year by train.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Note: The coach on the way there was fairly uncomfortable by managable.

Okay so woke up at 9am, started putting stuff away at 10am and got to the Coach Car park at 11.45am. The Coach left at midday, 45mins earlier than I expected which is fine by me.

Traffic out was quite bad but not heart breaking, the coach on the other hand had negative legroom. I was astounded how little legroom they could give people and anyone north of the 6foot mark were royally fucked and by the 2nd leg of the journey (after the rest stop) my tailbone begun to ache and I got plenty of Cramp the journey back. It made me quite miserable, considering I went to bed at 11pm on the Sunday having not drunk the day before to try and make my ride back as comfortable as possible. The driver was nice, the traffic going into Brighton was pretty bad and Worthing continues to make it's self my worst enermy as it's a town that only seems to exist to create traffic jams as I never see anyone walking around there. We got back at 16.55pm which was only 10 minutes later than expected but the coach had left 45minutes later than expected.

Ride to Glasto: 3hr 30mins approx

Ride back from Glasto: 5hrs approx

Though we didn't have a rest spot on the way there so I guess it was only an hour longer.

Edited by Yesiamaduck

Managed to get off the site within about 10 minutes of getting to the car at around midday and got about 20 miles away before the trouble started including about a 10 mile traffic jam around Stonehenge. Got home in about 6 and a half hours when it should take about half that! Still, showered and takeaway curry now inside me so all good.

Woke up at 9am, bacon sandwich Etc then got in the car at 12.30pm. Managed to get out of the carpark pretty fast and after an hour of winding through Shepton mallet etc was on the A303 by 1.30pm. Had a smug smile on my face until I hit the Stonehenge jams. 2 hours on gridlock there followed by a bad crash on the M3/M25 meant I didn't get in til after 8pm. Exhausted.com

Was hell! left he car park at 12, after 10 min if that queue. Got home at 19.30.... Had 45 min break in a service station and 1/2 at mates house...

Traffic on A303 was evil :(

I'm still awake after 4 hours sleep last night...

We broke down too, in a hired Vw California... Had a three hour wait on the A303 and arrived at the mrs' parents on Hampshire at 5am (having left at 12:30 after London Grammar). Then had to have the van towed back to the hire place where our car was. Finally back in London at 18:00, nightmare!

Didn't stop it being a brilliant festival though...

Pulled out of the Pink Car Park at about 11.30am, back in Manchester around 7pm. Only had 1 stop (spent about half an hour in Michael Wood services, around 2.30-3pm). It was no problem getting out of the car park but the a-roads were slow to a crawl as were large sections of the M5. Same as the last couple of years really. I didn't want to cut Sunday night short and needed to be rested for the drive, so I just set off when I was ready. Not the best time to go, but it is what it is.

Edited by kidpresentable

Left at about half four and a two hour journey took nearly 5. Horrendous delays on the red(?) route from west car parks up to A361/etc - looked like a horrible accident had happened earlier and someone had lost control on the steep hill and gone through the hedge, hope noone was hurt too badly

reasonably smooth after that give or take stonehenge. wish they'd put a gawping barrier up around the damn thing for that one day

Had a campfire and coffee after Kasabian to let initial rush die down and headed to east car park via gate b at 1:30am ish. Straight out of site at 2:15am.

Food/coffee stop at sparkford mcdonalds on A303 and again at Fleet services on M3. Back to croydon at 5:10am for shower and 6 hour sleep.

Perfect.

Awful! Left East 9 at midday Monday, took a left up the A37 to Bristol, ended up in a 4 hour queue :( stopped at a Toby Carvery somewhere after about 3 hours. Got to Bristol, and got lost (damn phone had no battery!) but got onto M5 and plowed back to Sunderland via M62 > M1

Stupid Average Speed Cameras all the way, which was annoying. A huge 1hour delay on the M5, not sure what was going on, then, the M1 was closed so had to divert via Leeds.

Got home, after dropping a friend off, at approx 11pm. Horrendous :ok: haha

Coach was at 3pm, but there were delays so didn't leave until past 4. Lots of traffic leaving the sight so didn't move much for an hour or so. I live about 4 hours from the sight but it took us five and a half last night and didn't get back home until 10pm.

Staggered back to tent at 6am yesterday, and waved goodbye to my fellow workers who were heading off to catch their coaches. Woke up around midday, took the tent down and carried all my kit back to the car. Saw that the West car parks were a gridlocked nightmare, but that wasn't a problem as I was heading back in to collect abandoned stuff from the campsites. I was listening to Worthy FM on my headphones, and the traffic updates weren't particularly informative as usual, but did confirm there was a major problem on Orange Route, as well as the Blue route in East campervan fields.

Left site just before 6pm, with my car loaded down with loot - drove straight out with no hold-ups. This year, I concentrated on collecting booze (although I did pick up three particularly nice tents) and my porch is now virtually impassable due to the mountain of cans in there. It's mainly cider and lager, which I don't drink, so I think I'll do the same at Latitude and Reading, and then have an 'end of festival season free booze' party round mine.

We got to our car in orange car park at 12.30. We were off site by 12.50 but had to go in the wrong direction around the one way system they put in place. Got to Mcdonalds in Melksham at about 3pm, dropped our friend in Chippenham at about 4 and got home to northwest London at about 7.30. Had a puncture just as we came off the M4 so had to unload everything and change our tyre and then there was an accident on the north circular so the London bit of our journey took about 1.5 hours! We were exhausted but had to go and collect our cat in southeast London last night so got bathed, dressed and collected the cat at about 10.30pm then got back home again at about midnight! Had an amazing 7.5 hours sleep and been Glastobating all morning!

We were on the See Ticket coach back to Manchester at 8:30 am. it turned up about 9 set off around 9:30. Then drove to Worcester, we had a stop for food then when we were getting back on the coach the driver told us he had a fuel leak the day before and its not been fixed properly so had to wait. At the prospect of a massive wait of "at least 3 hours" we decided to go it alone. Got a taxi from the service station to Worcester, Train to Birmingham, train to Manchester. Home for about 5pm, proper nightmare but its a story to tell. No idea how long the guys on the bus were stuck at the service station.

We got the coach around 8.30am and it took about 20 mins to get away from the site. We passed the orange car parks and there was a very angry man shouting in his car. The queue which he was near the front of went as far as I could see, but weirdly there was another road also leading to the same exit which had all of 4 cars in it!