Your Journey Home

Guest kalifire

So it's 11:30am, I'm home, showered, clothes are in the washer, boots outside to dry. I was up at 5:30am (had an earlier night on the Sunday due to physical exhaustion and lack of cash) and rather than take it all in, I decided just to go. The leaving process was incredibly efficient, particularly at Castle Cary station, despite the woeful lack of trains (I felt very sorry for the Londoners who arrived to no train for over two hours and repeated instructions to keep moving down the line interrupting their sleep). I was back by 10am in the end, and can now watch everyone else pack up on the cams.

Logging on to eFests is the moment it's hit me, Glasto 2014 is over. All that planning, speculation, excitement. Gutted. I'm still digesting the enormity of my first Glasto, with various highs and a few lows thrown in to boot. Right now I'm re-adjusting to 'real life'.

What about your journey home?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Up at 2.30am, last bit of packing done by 3…seriously long walk to the car…up to Bristol airport by 5.30, on the plane by 8, home and hosed now…got the red eye home one year previously and somehow had managed to forget how painful it was…never again, back to staying in Bristol for the Monday next time!

I left at 7pm last night, we'd seen who we wanted to see and my nephew has to get a train shortly back to Scotland. What a difference. I will happily leave on the Sunday night / early hours of Mon morning every year now - I can't be doing with 10 hour traffic jams like I suffered last year and 2011.

We ended up leaving about half 6 Sunday night. We were knackered, not interested in the headliners and had found out that morning our new bathroom that was supposed to be completed while we were gone was still missing a shower. So we wanted to get back in time to use family's shower rather than risk no one being home Monday. We got back about 9. Even being standstill on the A303 for 15-20 mins. Apart from that a pain free journey.

Left site at midnight - a few problems getting the car up the hill in Purple 2 (most cars were struggling so gave a few a push).

Bit of a queue to get out of the controlled traffic area but plain sailing back to London after that.

First time I'vd done the immediate exit but, having arrived at 7am on Wednesday, it worked for me.

Left from the camper van fields/orange route at 01.30am and after a few minutes of queuing, made great progress until 3.45am when we broke down, just half an hour from London. Recovery truck didn't arrive until 6am and we finally got home, knackered at 7.30am.

In retrospect, knowing there was a potential problem with our VW, it would defo have preferred to have been waiting by the roadside during the day but, hey ho, we're home and watching the coverage under a duvet now...

We got up at 5am this morning, packed up and on the road at 7.45. Hit Bristol at 10am where we had some breakfast and enjoyed a flushing toilet then I got the train to London while the rest of the family continued the drive north of the border. I was home at 1.30pm - they're still driving.

I haven't even thought about emptying my rucksack. I'm too knackered to contemplate it and am enjoying lounging around in comfort.

No problems at all really. In the car at 9am, back to Birmingham at 1pm and that was with a stop off at services nr Bristol and some really bad traffic on the M5 approaching Junction 4. Only took about 20 minutes to get out of the car park.

In the car at about 7:30 and home in London (with a break) at 11:30. Best "get out and get home" I've had in 10 years going - very pleased. Some years we'd be 14 hours in the queue to get out of the carpark so I'd have this years fluidity any time again!

Wow, you all had great experiences getting home. We got to our car at 7.15, packed the car and started moving at 7:45 straight into a car park gridlock in yellow car parks. No marshals around bar one, so was chaos. There was about 9 lanes of cars trying to get on a single lane track. Eventually at 10 all the marshals appeared and we started moving. They reversed some of the traffic and we were out of the site by 11am.

Stopped twice on the way as we have a toddler and arrived home at 5pm in Manchester. Just finishe unpacking the car and sitting on a real sofa