Your Journey Home

Guest kalifire

Got out of Pink 53 around midnight Sunday, and although I had planned for us to go back through Glastonbury and Street to get on the M5 we ended up directed onto the road heading north to Bristol instead (just like last year).

Got to our Premier Inn in Cheltenham around 1.30am, and set off for Glasgow around noon. Finally got home around 7pm and back in work today.

Agree with the comments regarding the temporary 50 limits on the M5 - what a pain in the arse!

Edited by Jie Bie

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were on the See Ticket coach back to Manchester at 8:30 am. it turned up about 9 set off around 9:30. Then drove to Worcester, we had a stop for food then when we were getting back on the coach the driver told us he had a fuel leak the day before and its not been fixed properly so had to wait. At the prospect of a massive wait of "at least 3 hours" we decided to go it alone. Got a taxi from the service station to Worcester, Train to Birmingham, train to Manchester. Home for about 5pm, proper nightmare but its a story to tell. No idea how long the guys on the bus were stuck at the service station.

Edited by verrymerry

Yeah it was a bell vue coach, they all arrived together but ours was the last to leave. The worst part was the driver knew about the problem beforehand, I wasn't sticking around as i'm in work today and he couldn't give us any idea when we'd be back on the road, took us about 2 and a half hours from leaving the coach so made good time really.

Missed my last connection due to traffic in which they held all the buses except mine, had to wait 2 and a half hours for the next one and just rub a bit of salt into the woulds I accidentally left a chocolate bar inside my pocket which melted and went everywhere, I suppose it serves me right for having such a good journey down there

Watched Pronghorn in the Rocket Lounge until they finshed around 315am ish then walked to Rivermead to sleep. Woke up at some point, packed and walked to one of the Purple car parks with the massive steep hill. Drove out the car park and joined a queue which took about an hour to get through then on the road and back to Winchester by around 4pm.

Yeah it was a bell vue coach, they all arrived together but ours was the last to leave. The worst part was the driver knew about the problem beforehand, I wasn't sticking around as i'm in work today and he couldn't give us any idea when we'd be back on the road, took us about 2 and a half hours from leaving the coach so made good time really.

Left at 10.30am Mon - East car park 2......took 45 mins to get off site, and got directed in the direction of the A303.

Took nearly 3 hours to get to Stonehenge, wasn't until got to the M3/A34 interchange that it cleared up. Got back to Oxford at 4pm. Journey home took 4 1/2 hrs......was pretty uncomfortable as the heat in the standstill traffic was at 31 degrees at one point!

Might try leaving earlier next year as can do that journey in 2 hrs if its quiet.

Took us 7 hours to get back to Exeter, our longest ever journey home, but also our nicest, as first time glasto cyclists.

Left the pristine cyclists campsite at 10am. Dropped off our luggage and picked up the bikes a two minute walk from the campsite at Gate A. Breezed passed queuing cars on the way out. Brunch in Glastonbury, pub lunch in Bridgwater, ice-cream stop on the Taunton to Bridgwater canal, and all the way along the lovely, picturesque, clearly marked and most importantly flat, NCN3. Picked up luggage in Taunton and short traffic free drive home for showers and curry.

Having used cars, buses and trains to get to the festival over the past 20 years I can honestly say that if you're able to, cycling is the very best way to get to Glastonbury!

Left Worthy View at 11 - followed a sneaky back route that popped us out at Street, then followed A39 / M5 / M4 back to London. Back home by 3:15 - and that included a stop at the services and at Tesco to pick up some grub for dinner. Can't complain!

Took us 7 hours to get back to Exeter, our longest ever journey home, but also our nicest, as first time glasto cyclists.

Left the pristine cyclists campsite at 10am. Dropped off our luggage and picked up the bikes a two minute walk from the campsite at Gate A. Breezed passed queuing cars on the way out. Brunch in Glastonbury, pub lunch in Bridgwater, ice-cream stop on the Taunton to Bridgwater canal, and all the way along the lovely, picturesque, clearly marked and most importantly flat, NCN3. Picked up luggage in Taunton and short traffic free drive home for showers and curry.

Having used cars, buses and trains to get to the festival over the past 20 years I can honestly say that if you're able to, cycling is the very best way to get to Glastonbury!

We pulled the 7pm - 3am shift Sunday/Monday at West Holts Bar. Packed the car before shift and left as soon as we finished work. Got back to the staff car park around 4am and drove straight off site no problems. Stopped at Michaelwood services and got my head down for an hour or so and was home by 8am.

Easiest journey home yet traffic wise but very tiring.

Left the Lizard Lounge at around 3:30pm. Back to tent up near Park. About 2 hrs kip then packed up and was back at car about 8am. Remained in West 35 for about 5 hours in a stationary queue with no-one dealing with traffic coming out of our field and other fields moving fairly swiftly. Utter crap traffic control who just let people form their own queues anywhere they liked basically, ramming the exit for everyone. Then when eventually back on A361 we are only allowed to go South West so have to take the long way around via Wells and A39 back to Bath (in any case the A361 was said to be blocked in Pilton by the ubiquitous 'broken down bus / lorry' that seems to happen every year there). Got home about 6pm...

Five and a half hours to do the 27 miles to Bristol.

Broken down bus in Pilton village caused the first mega hold-up, then a car that had rolled and was on its side with the fire brigade trying to turn it over and move it somewhere after Shepton Mallet. Looked as if everyone had got out unscathed thankfully.

I was parked in West 49 as well. I got to my car at 7:30 and joined a queue that was not moving at all. Someone in the queue turned around and tried going a different way, so I thought I would follow. That ended up cutting out a huge chunk of the queue, but we were still stuck. The pink exit gate was shut for some reason, so we asked why, the steward said it would be open at 9am.

Loads of people turned round to start queuing at the pink gate, and lo and behold, it opened just after 9. Drove straight out and had no problems after that. Was home at 1:30pm. If I'd have stayed in the other queue I think would still be there now. It wasn't moving at all. Why they couldn't open that gate before 9am was a bit of a mystery.

There's always a traffic jam around Stonehenge, regardless of whether there has been an accident or not. As much as I love the A303, I avoid it like the plague now.

We left at 12.45pm on Monday afternoon and it took us 8 hours to get home back to Kent. The traffic on the A303 and then on the M25 was horrendous. Still beats 2005 when we spent 6 hours sleeping in our cars in the car park from 1am on the Sunday morning as nothing was moving at all.

I started the car in Pink 51 at exactly noon. It took 2hrs to get from the car park to the M5 at Weston-super-Mare, via Wells and Cheaddar. After that it was plain sailing up the M5/M6/M74 to Glasgow. There was the occasional delay around the Worcester roadworks, but apart from that it wasn't bad at all.
We arrived home just before 9pm, which wasn't too bad considering the daytime/rush hour traffic on the motorway/stopping twice for 20 mins. In comparison, it took 7hrs 45mins driving down overnight on the Tuesday, so in the grand scale of things, it wasn't too bad getting home.

We packed up and lefty the big ground at 6am and arrived at our car in West 32 at 7.30am on Monday morning but by 12 noon had only moved about 40 yards. It did improve somewhat after stewards came on site but before that it was a bit frustrating and definitely a free for all. When we did eventually get moving we were out quickly and by 1.30 were in beckington about 20miles away where we'd arranged to meet the In laws to pick up the dog. All three motorways had pretty jammed sections and we arrived at the ferry terminal at Liverpool docks a few minutes after check in just after 6.30 (with no other stops).... Thankfully they us through which was a massive relief and we were home by 10pm.

Edited by scaddoo

Got to car in West 37 at 7:50. Left site at around 9:40. Stopped at Gordano services on the way up the M5 and was met with some of the most priceless expressions on people's faces that I've ever seen. Arrived back at my parents in Derbyshire around 14:20, stayed the night, drove back to Northamptonshire the morning after.

The trip back to Derbyshire was shite and it was all down to my fucking evil bitch of a satnav who told me the quickest way to get back to my parents house from the M5 was to AVOID the M42 when historically everybody knows you go up the M42 and come off near Twycross Zoo. Satnav said no. You don't want to go that way. The best way to go is through Birmingham, Dudley, Walsall, Sutton Coldfield and Cannock. Fuck off.

left tangerien fields at 630. straight out and then cross country up to the a303. stonehenge problems becasue of the head on cars. no problems after that and back to Sw london by 1030am. happy with that. Tangerien fields is in a really good place to escape quickly.