Download 2015

dentalplan

Just about recovered now (apart from terrible sunburn) but had a great weekend at my first Download (regardless of the weather).

A Day To Remember, Parkway Drive and Slash were the stand out acts for me. Have seen ADTR 6-7 times and every time they absolutely smash it, also echo the future festival headliners shout.

Beartooth also put on a great show and Yellowcard were fantastic with a great crowd reception considering they were against Crue & LOG!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rise against were ok but they don't really suit an outdoor stage. Much better in an academy sized venue. The only act I didn't enjoy was motley crue but I can't stand them anyway. Just wanted to get a good spot for kiss.

Yeah I've always felt like that about RA and from seeing them live, I think that some bands just look much smaller trying to fill a big stage, wasn't sure if I like enough songs to see a full show but I think I'll go for it and see them inside next time, much the same thought as said below with ADTR. Motley Crue and KISS don't interest me, The Darkness would of been the only other act I'd have seen Sunday and twice is okay, once indoor and outdoor. Cheers for the info anyway man.

A Day To Remember, Parkway Drive and Slash were the stand out acts for me. Have seen ADTR 6-7 times and every time they absolutely smash it, also echo the future festival headliners shout.

ADTR didn't sound great vocally from watching it back, I've always felt it looks like the outdoor was a too big a stage for them, sounded way different inside when I saw them. PD aren't for me and as much as I'd see Slash, it'd only be for maybe Dissident and the GNR songs and it's always been for me that you can take instrument players out of the band albeit I'm not a fan but bot the voice. Miles has got a decent rock voice don't get me wrong but he sounds the same whether it's Slash solo or GNR, the difference with Axl is the the unique voice that made GNR songs what they were.

I don't get all the ADTR love. I think they are bland, cliched and dated. I think I only enjoyed 2 of their songs, I wanted to fall asleep for the rest of their set. I gave them a chance and they failed. 

All that remains, Krokodil, At teh gates, Lacuna Coil, Allusondrugs were all very good. I thought FFDP justified their 3rd position and soz t8yman but I think they will headline before too long. Slipknot were good but not great, I preferred their own show. They didn't do anything wrong, it just seemed to lack something.

Mallory Knox were ok, Hollywood Undead were the surprise of the festival for me. Very good. Parkway Drive absolutely smashed it, I'm not a fan but they won in terms of effort and crowd participation I think. Rise against were a bit of a let down but ok. ADTR meh. FNM I only watched from a distance as we were pooped by then. I'm a bit pissed off at that but we did get back to the front for Muse and they nailed it. They played Citizen Erased for me at last and seemed to get the sound just about right. I agree that the first half of their set was better.

Tremonti was great, Godsmack were great. Three days grace were very good but whoever put them on third at that time of day was an idiot. It was rammed and thousands watched from outside. They're a much more popular band than the organisers reckoned. I've seen Slash better but it was a good singalong. Crue surprised the shit out of me. They were brilliant. I've never really liked their stuff or got into them but holy shit they deliver live. Enter Shakira did what they do and it was good but maybe a bit soon after Glasgow for me so it felt a bit repetitive. The end of Kiss was insane. I feel a bit annoyed I didn't give them a chance but then again I would probably have been bored of 90 minutes of it.

I had a fantastic weekend overall. I'm absolutely shagged after it. I'm glad I did the wednesday thing and the pub crawl and curry in town on Thursday. It's definitely the future especially when there is a 10 hour drive either end of teh weekend. Lucky and his mates are top people and cashless was painless. The monsoon predicted for saturday wasn't all that and they did quite well controlling the mud. My 5 man tent of drunken debauchery that has done us for 6 years and 20 odd festivals has gone to the campsite in the sky after leaking a bit on fri night. It's seen a lot. We'll miss it. We took a moment to mourn its passing. Hope forensics don't go near.

So, I saw

Cadillac Three - really enjoyed their set and sound. The sun was still out at that point, which prob helped.

Clutch - good, but never really got going until electric worry

FFDP - second best band I saw this weekend. Great crowd interaction. Longer set next time.

Thunder - can't beat the dad dancing from Danny. Good for a sing along in the rain.

BSC - I loved their set.a band that I can watch over and over again

Slipknot - my mates loved it. I thought they were shit. Not my thing at all.

Mallory Knox - first time seeing them. Would see them again, for sure.

Apocalyptica - good Lord, those Finns are mental. Getting 3 cellos to make that noise is pretty impressive.

Ace - saw a bit. Didn't really do anything for me.

Rise Against - as above

FNM - Funeral parlour or wedding band? Was hard to figure out. However, did all the songs I wanted, so was happy.

Muse - band of the weekend, by far. Nailed it as far as I was concerned.

Tremonti - decent enough

Blackberry smoke - nothing wrong with a little southern rock in the afternoon. However, the wind didn't help the sound. Same for most bands on Sunday actually

Billy Idol - 40mins I'll never get back. My mates got bored and went off to do the slide from the somersby bar.

Slash - great mix of old and new stuff. Was expecting a surprise guest for this one, but looks like dragonforce had that with babymetal

Crue - pyro and girls. What else do you need? A Tommy Lee rollercoaster would have been good.

Kiss - actually enjoyed the show. Got bored of gene whacking his tongue out at every opportunity, but all in all a pretty decent show, with explosions and platforms. Missed opportunity to bottle the zipwire tho!

My only gripe this year is that the bars seemed understaffed. The queue for the one by the 2nd stage was always massive, and not all the bar was open. Same for main.

Loved it all though. Went too quickly. Now looking forward to next year.....

I don't get all the ADTR love. I think they are bland, cliched and dated. I think I only enjoyed 2 of their songs, I wanted to fall asleep for the rest of their set. I gave them a chance and they failed.

All that remains, Krokodil, At teh gates, Lacuna Coil, Allusondrugs were all very good. I thought FFDP justified their 3rd position and soz t8yman but I think they will headline before too long. Slipknot were good but not great, I preferred their own show. They didn't do anything wrong, it just seemed to lack something.

Mallory Knox were ok, Hollywood Undead were the surprise of the festival for me. Very good. Parkway Drive absolutely smashed it, I'm not a fan but they won in terms of effort and crowd participation I think. Rise against were a bit of a let down but ok. ADTR meh. FNM I only watched from a distance as we were pooped by then. I'm a bit pissed off at that but we did get back to the front for Muse and they nailed it. They played Citizen Erased for me at last and seemed to get the sound just about right. I agree that the first half of their set was better.

Tremonti was great, Godsmack were great. Three days grace were very good but whoever put them on third at that time of day was an idiot. It was rammed and thousands watched from outside. They're a much more popular band than the organisers reckoned. I've seen Slash better but it was a good singalong. Crue surprised the shit out of me. They were brilliant. I've never really liked their stuff or got into them but holy shit they deliver live. Enter Shakira did what they do and it was good but maybe a bit soon after Glasgow for me so it felt a bit repetitive. The end of Kiss was insane. I feel a bit annoyed I didn't give them a chance but then again I would probably have been bored of 90 minutes of it.

I had a fantastic weekend overall. I'm absolutely shagged after it. I'm glad I did the wednesday thing and the pub crawl and curry in town on Thursday. It's definitely the future especially when there is a 10 hour drive either end of teh weekend. Lucky and his mates are top people and cashless was painless. The monsoon predicted for saturday wasn't all that and they did quite well controlling the mud. My 5 man tent of drunken debauchery that has done us for 6 years and 20 odd festivals has gone to the campsite in the sky after leaking a bit on fri night. It's seen a lot. We'll miss it. We took a moment to mourn its passing. Hope forensics don't go near.

Danny from Hollywood Undead mimed devilman, you're not supporting a mimer suddenly are you? With ADTR that's my issue, I'm only fussed with I'm made of Wax, All I want and All Signs point to Lauderaude if that's how you spell it. The downfall of us all is okay for the bit where he sings that lol. I'm glad I went to Slipknot on tour and not chance it, although Killpop would've been okay to hear, My Plague was a long time coming and chuffed I was at a set with that in.

I don't have a clue which one Danny is and I can only take your word for it, it sounded live enough to me. Are you saying that his bit was done with a backing track and the rest wasn't? I couldn't tell but then I wasn't particularly looking for it. I thought they had a good sound but the kind of stuff that I would never listen to at home or in my van which is seems to be where I listen to most of my music these days.

Danny from Hollywood Undead mimed devilman, you're not supporting a mimer suddenly are you? With ADTR that's my issue, I'm only fussed with I'm made of Wax, All I want and All Signs point to Lauderaude if that's how you spell it. The downfall of us all is okay for the bit where he sings that lol. I'm glad I went to Slipknot on tour and not chance it, although Killpop would've been okay to hear, My Plague was a long time coming and chuffed I was at a set with that in.

Is Danny the one with the FAT neck? That dudes neck was so distracting, it made Corey Taylor's neck look small. Anyway, he was obviously miming, it took all of five seconds to realise that :lol:

And have you actually tried to listen to any of ADTR's albums? They've got plenty of songs where they 'sing'.

Edited by Andre91

It's ADTR's singing that annoys me. That geekrock american whiney melody that a few bands do does my head in. How dare they hold guitars and make that noise at the same time. It's an insult. Come the revolution they will be alongside Lady Gaga, 30STM and Fallout Boy with their backs against the wall whilst I take aim with a 50cal.

It's ADTR's singing that annoys me. That geekrock american whiney melody that a few bands do does my head in. How dare they hold guitars and make that noise at the same time. It's an insult. Come the revolution they will be alongside Lady Gaga, 30STM and Fallout Boy with their backs against the wall whilst I take aim with a 50cal.

Nothing wrong with Fall Out Boy, old stuff anyway and Save Rock and Roll was decent.

I just don't think ADTR sound anything live like the record.

On the ADTR feedback, even a mate of mine who likes them quite a bit said they sounded off form and the lead's voice came across croaky, listening back to 2013 on YouTube as well, I just don't think an outdoor stage does them justice. Not seeing this whole thing about them headlining soon. All I Want actually sounded shocking compared to on record.

• 5 weeks later...