"Facing the Music" - a Glastonbury novel

Tim Thorogood

If you're looking for a book to read before, during or after the festival, try out my novel "Facing the Music - Life, Loss and Glastonbury", published in June 2014. It's in paperback and on Kindle, kobo and nook. It's fiction, but based on my experiences at Glastonbury over many years. You can find it and read a preview on this link: http:///1i8Dmyg . It took me five years to write, so I hope you enjoy it! Let me know what you think.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good question, russycarps. You're the first to ask! I've deliberately not told anyone, but there are a number of clues in the novel for those that want to know...!

The glastonbury addicts on this forum will know the year just from what time of day the first band mentioned in the book is on!

Also, You should buy a mug or two from here for the free advertising...

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/shop/mugs.shtml

First review on Amazon Kindle: "A well written and easy to read story, full of humour and pathos, and great descriptions of the mud and rain. Describes the festival down to a tee and a must for anyone contemplating camping at a festival this year" - check out a preview on this link: http:///1i8Dmyg

Looks good, Tim. I will get it too as I love reading about Glastonbury. I've read a couple of others before, one of which was a real stinker! In fact reading about Glastonbury inspired me to start typing too! I also published a Glastonbury book (only last Thurs!), find it on Amazon kindle: Glastonbury - The Festival Experience - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KXGNM06
Mine is more of an actual account, rather than a fictional account, so a slightly different approach to your book. The thing I find so interesting is, due to the nature of Glastonbury, that everyone can have such a different experience. Anyway, good luck with the book. :)

Good question, russycarps. You're the first to ask! I've deliberately not told anyone, but there are a number of clues in the novel for those that want to know...!

Well, there is a dance tent, so that means 97-04. And it's wet, but was expected to be fine. So that rules out 97, which was known to be wet, probably 98 for the same reason. And 99 and 2000, which were dry.

I'm guessing 2004. I may update my guess when I've read past the 1st chapter!

Edited by stuartbert two hats

Looks good, Tim. I will get it too as I love reading about Glastonbury. I've read a couple of others before, one of which was a real stinker! In fact reading about Glastonbury inspired me to start typing too! I also published a Glastonbury book (only last Thurs!), find it on Amazon kindle: Glastonbury - The Festival Experience - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KXGNM06

Mine is more of an actual account, rather than a fictional account, so a slightly different approach to your book. The thing I find so interesting is, due to the nature of Glastonbury, that everyone can have such a different experience. Anyway, good luck with the book. :)

Also bought!

Oh well, as I'm not the only one, there's also my book set at Glastonbury festival, which was published way back in 2005. Teen romance adventure novel not set at a particular year, but a lot has changed since then.

http://www.randomhouse.co.uk/editions/be-in-the-place/9781842704608

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit - but I will check out Facing the music :)

Thanks, bc2000 - and good luck with your book, too! Stuartbert two hats - you're warmish, but the use of 'dance tent' is a generic description, not really the name of the actual tent. The weather is a better clue, but there are others... Wickedfaerie, wicked name - didn't know you'd written a Glasto teen romance adventure novel - will have to check it out, along with bc2000's account & rickleach's. If any of you read my novel and like it, please do give feedback on the Matador site or Amazon, or wherever you buy it from. By the way, I'm talking about my novel at the Glasto Green Info tent at 4pm on Thursday, 26th June and at 11am on Saturday, 28th June - so if any of you are coming to Glasto, maybe see you then?

Thanks, bc2000 - and good luck with your book, too! Stuartbert two hats - you're warmish, but the use of 'dance tent' is a generic description, not really the name of the actual tent. The weather is a better clue, but there are others... Wickedfaerie, wicked name - didn't know you'd written a Glasto teen romance adventure novel - will have to check it out, along with bc2000's account & rickleach's. If any of you read my novel and like it, please do give feedback on the Matador site or Amazon, or wherever you buy it from. By the way, I'm talking about my novel at the Glasto Green Info tent at 4pm on Thursday, 26th June and at 11am on Saturday, 28th June - so if any of you are coming to Glasto, maybe see you then?

That's shocking! Dance tent was a specific venue that did not exist in 2005!

Not shocking, I hope. 'Dance Tent' and 'dance tent' are different things. It's a fictional novel where the characters don't necessarily think in terms of the official names for different venues; it's set in an undefined year, but around that period; and while I've made it as accurate as I can in terms of space, time, atmosphere, weather and events, it isn't and it doesn't pretend to be an official or unofficial 'history' or description of the festival, or a particular year. I do hope you can enjoy it for what it is...

Oh well, as I'm not the only one, there's also my book set at Glastonbury festival, which was published way back in 2005. Teen romance adventure novel not set at a particular year, but a lot has changed since then.

http://www.randomhouse.co.uk/editions/be-in-the-place/9781842704608

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit - but I will check out Facing the music :)

I guess this is going to be Kindle only – no chance of being printed?

The novel is in paperback and in ebook format (Kindle, kobo and nook). You can order a paper copy right now on this link: http://www.troubador.co.uk/book_info.asp?bookid=2707 . Delivery takes about two days. The "official" publication date is the Saturday of Glastonbury, 28th June 2014, so the paperback will be available for order at local bookshops and from online retailers on or after that date. I know I'm biased, but the paperback is a beautiful thing, with a beautiful cover!

Not shocking, I hope. 'Dance Tent' and 'dance tent' are different things. It's a fictional novel where the characters don't necessarily think in terms of the official names for different venues; it's set in an undefined year, but around that period; and while I've made it as accurate as I can in terms of space, time, atmosphere, weather and events, it isn't and it doesn't pretend to be an official or unofficial 'history' or description of the festival, or a particular year. I do hope you can enjoy it for what it is...

I'm even more shocked now you're saying it's a novel from the perspective of the protagonists rather than a load of references for Glastonbury nerds with a story loosely fited around it. I demand a refund ;)

Not read far yet, but am really enjoying it. As a married man with children ( well, only one at the moment), the idea that I could be in that situation regarding the ring was truly chilling. And that's just the first few pages! If it was just a load of call outs to things that happened at a specific festival, I'm sure it would be a poorer work of fiction.

It is 2005 though, right? ;)

Edited by stuartbert two hats