First time glasto advice

lisaneedsbraces

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't try to do it all - pick half a dozen bands at most who you really want to see then let the rest just happen. Question what you see, get involved, smile and have fun!

Sorry, one more bit of advice on a "sensible" level - don't avoid drinking or eating to avoid the inevitable trip to the long drop - it will ruin your festival.

Take comfortable footwear that can handle rough terrain. The site is big and you will be walking A LOT! There are not many roads/trackways so some of that walking will be on fields/uneven ground. Shoes that rub or fall apart may ruin your festival!

As someone earlier said - don't try and do too much. Pick a few things that you really don't want to miss and other than that, just go with the flow. Some of the best things I've seen are things I've just stumbled upon on the way somewhere else. Rushing around with a strict timetable will just wear you out!

When the Friday arrives, don't become all-consumed with seeing all the bands all the time - need to take time out just to chill and also sometimes the best times are at stages seeing bands you'd not planned on seeing at all. The company and moment counts for a lot!

Don't leave anything in your car. Open your glove compartments and remove the back parcel shelf. It was a long drive home with a smashed window.

Oh and don't plan anything, it wont happen once you get there and get absorbed in everything else.

Don't stay at the main stages

And enjoy, it is just the best place ever :beach:

Totally agree with Bexxxxx about the choice of footwear, I've had 2 very uncomfortable Glastonburys on the back of this. And footwear includes socks of course, so unless you walk a lot and know exactly what suits you already, I would suggest taking some different types / thickness of socks in case you have any rubbing issues. Lots of people on here swear by bamboo socks, including me now!

BUT....... having said all that, I spent most of the scorchio 2010 festival in a chunky pair of flip flops!!

To buy some Bamboo Socks. Took me over 10 years of festivals and plenty of blisters before I learned that one.

Actually, I'd say wear 2 pairs of socks - Bamboo as the inner layer, and then a cheap hiking sock on the outside.

last year was my first glastonbury and first ever festival and i loved it.

my tips would be...

1. use the flushable toilets at the top of big ground, nice and clean and not stinky.

2. use the lockups.

3. if you get a spare hour when theres nobody in particular you want to see, go and wander and just go wherever you fancy, i stumbled across loads of good things when just wandering. Thrill Collins at the bandstand, Gecko in the Avalon Cafe were 2 of my festival highlights.

hope you get as hooked as i am.

Edited by Festival_Fan

Have a rough idea of which field you want to camp in before hand. It can be quite daunting when you enter the site. There will be various camping teams around the site to give advice and they'll also let you know which fields are full.

There's some great advice here - particularly around using the property lock-ups (free to use and a great way to keep your valuables safe) and remembering where your tent is. At night and especially after a tiring day the last thing you want to be doing is walking around trying to find your tent. Make a note of your position in relation to landmarks such as trees, pylons and footpaths.

Our advice to you before you set off: register any valuables on the free property database Immobilise.com and install a tracking app on your phone. Both of these will help us return property to you if it is lost or stolen.

So many people advocate leaving the plans at home and going with the flow so there must be something in that. This even goes for our officers - they don't know what delights they are going to come across as they patrol the site and that makes their shift even more enjoyable.

As long as you plan and remember to bring your common sense with you there's a fab time to be had. And if you want more advice about staying safe at the festival (it is your first one after all) visit our website www.glastonburypolice.com for more safety tips and information about our role there.

Hope you have a fun time :-)

Edited by PoliceatGlasto