First Leeds Festival, any tips or tricks?

Guest Nick Aldous

Hello everybody.

I am 16 years old and to celebrate the end of secondary school my friends and i are heading up to leeds festival and excitment is an understatement. I went to T In The Park last year and loved it!

I think the lineup is absolutely fantastic and i cannot wait.

but i would just like a few tips on the following,

where to camp?

what time i should arrive? (i have a weekend ticket)

is thursday night camping included in the weekend ticket?

policies on alcohol

thankyou so much everybody, i look forward to hearing any replies!

rock on!

I saw this yesterday but I was on my mobile so I couldn't answer it (well I could have but I had a terrible connection)

Where to camp?

Depends how lively you guys are to be honest. Look at the map and the close to the arena or Piccadilly circus the more lively it will be. No matter where you camp there will be something going on but you get it. I camped in Red last year it was just right for me and I was 16 then.

What time should you arrive?

Whenever you feel like it to be honest, just arrange a time to meet your mates and you'll be fine, but don't get there too late as you might find it hard to find a place to camp (especially if you are in a large group), also I think the Thursday is included in a weekend camping ticket but you might want to check the website.

Alcohol

Getting it in is easy so you should have no problem. No glass bottles but cans are fine you if you bring spirits just put them in a plastic bottle. Getting it through should be no problem but you could get searched (they only do it to a few people and they won't check everything) but you can slip past by them easily i.e. chose your moment, don't make eye contact and go with a group

• 4 weeks later...

Where you camp depends on 2 things. 1) What type of atmosphere you want. and 2) How far you can be bothered to walk from where you get dropped off.

I usually camp in blue which in my opinion is the best as you can party all night without people getting annoyed but people are generally respectful. I camped in yellow one year and didnt enjoy it (because I am 24 and the majority of people camped there seemed to be under 18, school leavers etc - so it might be good for you).

Are you driving or getting dropped off by a coach? If you are driving, the blue and yellow campsites are quite far away from where you park. The coach drop off is closest to yellow campsite and second closest is blue.

Piccadilly Circus (which is the orange zone I think) is next to blue. I personally wouldnt stay there as last time I walked through it it was exactly what I imagine hell to be like....human shit in bags everywhere, tents set on fire etc...but maybe I caught it on a bad day? Its definatley the wildest though.

If you want a good camping space arrive on Friday morning if you don't have an earlybird ticket for the Thursday. If you arrive after 7 or 8am you will struggle to get camped together if you are in a big group.

You can bring alcohol in plastic bottles (im not sure what the policy is for under 18's bringing alcohol in but I have never seen anyone being asked for ID to enter the campsite. You wont get served without ID at the bars in the arena though.

Hope this helps.

Info from festival website.....entrance with normal weekend ticket is from Thursday. Hope this helps.

Weekend Tickets/Wristbands – allow access to campsites from Thursday 21st August until midday on Monday 25th August and access to the arena on all show days. Weekend wristbands allow unlimited re-entry to and from the site for the holder. There is no re-entry on ticket alone. Under 16s must be accompanied by an adult in the campsiters and arena. We do not sell a weekend ticket without camping.

Early Entry Permits – only valid when presented in conjunction with a valid Weekend ticket. Allows access to campsites from Wednesday 20th August for people who want to set up camp early. Early Entry permits usually sell out quickly. They are not valid for use in conjunction with Guest Tickets or Disabled Access tickets as these campsites do not open until Thursday.

I stayed in Orange last year and found it to be perfect :) short walk back to the car, and because where we were was on a hill there was no flooding, unlike other camps. It's a bit of a walk to the arena, but it helps sober you up on the mornings :D plus, it's a really short walk to the Relentless Stage and Picadilly.

• 4 weeks later...