your live recommendations....

Guest manxboba

Someone did a really useful thread last year of acts that are better live than on their record, or someone from the smaller stages that you may not of heard of and are worth catching due to the live performance,

or acts that have decent records but are dull as dishwater live,

any similar suggestions to fill the clashfinder this year????

That was me! Was planning on starting the same thread just now how spooky!

My big recommendations for this year are sadly all on at roughly the same time.

Manic Street Preachers - Great live lots of energy even though they are getting on a bit.

John Grant - Just brilliant live. Very funny and his voice is so much better live than you would think from the records.

Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott - Really one of the most fun gigs I've been to this year. Setlist is a great mix of new stuff, Beautiful South stuff and Housemartins.

The Wailers - Also great fun live. I saw them do the legend album in full. If they do the same at Glastonbury you are pretty much guaranteed a good time.

Dub Pistols live are consistently good

Dreadzone similar

Drenge were good last year and worth a look

Black Tambourines are early in the JP and were runners up in the Emerging Talent this year, described as Cornish surf punk but certainly had me and Scotty grinning through the set. Bit of energy that is sadly lacking from a lot of acts.

I agree about Manics, saw them a few years ago and they are just naturally a good live band

I was surprised at how good Haim were in the tent last year at Reading, they're one of those bands that really go for it live, I reckon they'll get a big crowd on The Other Stage and should be decent amtosphere now they've had the number 1 album and a lot more people will know their songs

I will also recommend Elbow, they are the perfect Glastonbury sub headliner, went down really well before Coldplay in 2011 and Guy Garvey is one of the funniest on stage front men I have ever seen

Saw Bombay Bicycle Club for the 4th time a few months ago as well and they have seriously stepped up their live show. It was at a fairly intimate venue though, may not be quite the same on the big outdoor stage but they're definitely worth checking out

Edited by DL50

I agree about Manics, saw them a few years ago and they are just naturally a good live band

I was surprised at how good Haim were in the tent last year at Reading, they're one of those bands that really go for it live, I reckon they'll get a big crowd on The Other Stage and should be decent amtosphere now they've had the number 1 album and a lot more people will know their songs

I will also recommend Elbow, they are the perfect Glastonbury sub headliner, went down really well before Coldplay in 2011 and Guy Garvey is one of the funniest on stage front men I have ever seen

Saw Bombay Bicycle Club for the 4th time a few months ago as well and they have seriously stepped up their live show. It was at a fairly intimate venue though, may not be quite the same on the big outdoor stage but they're definitely worth checking out

Haim I'd seen them twice live before buying their album and when said album was bought it really was a WTF moment as it was like 80's throwback sound of Miami sound machine...so defo these gals!!

Love Manics, White lies & Horrors live and I was pleasantly surprised how well Lana del Ray sounded when I saw her last year, it will be interesting to see if she works on the Pyramid

For a good fun set I would add...

RSVP are a bangra band that wll teach the moves, great fun and a bit different

Gentlemans dub club

chainska brassica - saw them on Saturday and recommend

Will and the people

King Porter Stomp

the legend that is Beans on Toast

The Correspondents

Tankus the Henge

Rodney Brannigan if you want to see someone play 2 guitars at once

Thing about Bombay as well was that A Different Kind of Fix was slightly dull live and was a bit of an awkward fit with the 1st album, which is classic indie

However with the new album out, songs like 'Lights Out World's Gone', 'How Can You Swallow So Much Sleep' and obviously Shuffle all blended into the set perfectly

When I saw them a couple of months ago it was the first time i'd seen them where everyone wasn't just waiting for Always Like this. Luna was awesome and the opening track off the new album was brilliant as well

Vintage Trouble - the lead singer Ty Taylor is definitely channeling the spirit of James Brown from somewhere and the band are as tight as anything you'll see all weekend. Clashed last time with the Stones which was more than a little unfair/unfortunate.

Another one for Drenge, I've seen them twice now and they were amazing both times. Foster The People are one of the best live bands I've ever seen, don't know if they'll work with the slot they've been given though...

Public Service Broadcasting are a definite 'experience' and I'm very looking forward to seeing them again.

Superfood are amazing live, and they haven't got that much material out there so your best bet is to go to one of their gigs.

The Black Keys are my favourite live band of all time, and I'm hoping for the best with the new material they've brought out.

Vintage Trouble - the lead singer Ty Taylor is definitely channeling the spirit of James Brown from somewhere and the band are as tight as anything you'll see all weekend. Clashed last time with the Stones which was more than a little unfair/unfortunate.

Really enjoyed Warpaint and Anna Calvi a couple if years ago in the JP and found both to be different live to their records out at that time. Not quite sure how Warpaint will be on the outside other stage though