Metallica....in the Mosh, will there be a mosh, not in the mosh?

Swine_Glasto2014

Great to see `non fans` getting into it like that! smiles all around no major injurys no destruction no angry people attacking the `moshers` as MANY on this thread claimed would happen beforehand,.....strangly enough they seem to have gone quiet heh heh no `we were wrong` from you lads? eh? ON THE 2ND DAY........TALLICA BROUGHT THE HEAVY......AND THE HEAVY WAS GOOD!

Just the guy with the flares burning people eh? :D

Nah seriously you were mostly right, I maintain that there were probably some people around you that were a bit annoyed by it all but didn't say anything, though I respect you lot for managing to mosh in that mud!

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm relaxed about the fact there will never ever be another metal headliner. The sparse crowd and large amount of leavers after two songs have undoubtedly ensured that.

We ended up at mgmt in JP and it was more rammed than any other Saturday jp headliner I've seen, which usually get tiny crowds. I guess that says it all.

I'm glad metallica pleased their fans though.

The opening video was properly cringey, and ten minutes late starting? Tut tut

I had great fun watching the band, the nods and winks between them Lars celebrating after a few songs too!

Absolutely no interest in bashing into other people and missing any portion of the gig. What a waste of time.

that was a sparse crowd?

Lots and lots of room down the back. Could easily get to the toilet and back very quickly. Out of all the big headliners I've seen there it was the least well attended. I saw a few people leave too.

Mind you Arcade Fire was fairly empty down the back.

But I thought the gig was a total triumph. Spine tingling stuff at points. I've rarely been as happy.

Edited by The Nal

that was a sparse crowd? lots of people leaving not happy? were you at the same stage russy? and the opening video was very funny actually it had the exact response as was intended they totally fooled people some around me were getting well angry thinking they were spitefully going to show a fox being hunted to death when it turned out to be a big joke....thats just like metallica to turn conterversy into a way to screw with people in a very humerous way....lars face when he came out of the beat head was awesome :P

and on the contary considering metallicas set was hailed by everyone from the band to eavis to the fans as a spectacular success you can look forward to more metal at the festival....maybe not headlining for a while(why do same thing 2 years in a row) but they certainly showed metal can and will go down well without the problems those with a stereotypical view seemed to assume would crop up.

Ideally id like to see them eventually having a stage for heavier music, whole village for the dance genre why not a stage for heavy rock and metal? only question is where would it be sited.

It was great for the fans I'm sure, but not at all accessible to anyone else. Even the sound check had people leaving.

And wouldn't you have rather had an extra couple of songs than that unfunny ten minute mocking video?

The whole thing just reinforced my view that metal is just noisy pantomime for teenagers.

Fair play though, the fans enjoyed it it seems. You are a forgiving bunch though because my understanding is they were massively out of tune and out of time!

again were you at the same gig? as a fan whos seen them a few times before I actually found the opposite....kirk for example if renowed for latly cocking up a few solos but he was playing on tunes like fade to black as if he was possessed, lars drumming was heavier then I remember in a long time, james voice was good, robs bass was as nuts as always....they certainly rose to the occasion. I noticed a few mistakes towards the end of the set but on the whole musically they were on fire!

check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hsV7r84t5I

go to 5.37 and look at kirks face....tell me that mans not possessed by his guitar at that point in time? haha

I was only there for two damn songs! But I've read people on here moaning about the musicianship not being up to scratch. Fair dos if that was not the case.

I don't care about a couple of errors in a passionately delivered performance anyway.

I just wonder how many non metal fans were converted by this gig, not many I reckon so little chance of metal taking over glastonbury...

It was great for the fans I'm sure, but not at all accessible to anyone else. Even the sound check had people leaving.

Didn't watch it live but caught bits online after. I didn't think they'd try and do a more accessible show, and would just focus on the fans. But I was wrong. They played a much more accessible show than I would have thought.

I just wonder how many non metal fans were converted by this gig, not many I reckon so little chance of metal taking over glastonbury...

There were about 10 of us, only two had seen them before, and everyone loved it. They're a great band.

Most hard and/or fast bands played the odd bum note. Zeppelin, Hendrix etc.

But yeah. Its never going to be a metal fest.

Not a metal fan but was in awe of the Metalica performance.

Definitely one of my highlights and wasn't considering watching them but the complete and utter shite on the other stages didn't appeal to me. Surely GFL should and could have got someone better than Jake Bugg to headline the Other Stage?

Converted? No. As many people have stated Metalica offer metal of the softest kind and I was aware of that before watching.

I love people who look and play like they want to be at Glastonbury and the guys from Metalica embraced the whole thing. Epic.

• 8 months later...

Hey! Im currently doing my dissertation on people's experiences in crowds. If anyone here has had either a good or bad experience in a crowd or most pit at a festival could you please help me out and fill out this survey?

https://surveyplanet...b88fd4a47289b96

For fucks sake Katy!

Don't resurrect this fucking thread of ALL threads. Jesus H...

Did anyone find my camera after Metallica?

Were you in/near the moshpit inside the barrier stage left(ish) about twenty.maybe thirty(ish) rows back?

Did you see me looking sad/desperate/shoving moshers out of the way during Seek & Destroy shouting "Get out of the way. Where's my camera"?

Or afterwards, forlornly searching in hopeless desperation for about half an hour afterwards?

Please complete my survey.

Lesson learned was that that is why cameras are generally supplied with wrist-straps.