Metallica....in the Mosh, will there be a mosh, not in the mosh?

Swine_Glasto2014

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just don't be one of those people who grabs people and just slams into them like an abnoxious shite.

To be fair, I've slammed into people a couple of times - it's not something that you'd want to do on purpose (for most people, at least), 95% of people slamming into another person seem to be them getting shoved into them from the outside.

EDIT: Should probably read dates & page numbers before replying -.-

Edited by eoJ

You usually see it at punk and hardcore shows rather then metal tbh.......if it happens at a metal gig where the crowd happens to be more of the old school moshing type they usually get taken out as theyre threatening everybody in the pits well being......funniest thing I saw was some drunk idiot try to start doing it watching fucking motorhead at the plymouth pavilions a few years back,........yep hardcore dancing to motorhead!.............and he lasted all of about 10 seconds before being barged well out of the way in no uncertain terms.

You can see why from the average person's point of view, that we can't tell the difference though? The people doing it responsibly seem just as dangerous as the people doing it irresponsibly, and we're not heartened by seeing the 'responsible' person's retort to the other lot is 'taking them out'. That's just meeting violence with violence.

But whenever anyone else in this thread suggested acting in self defence if a mosher barges in to them, they've been told that's not on. So apparently it's okay for moshers to 'take out' people they think are dangerous, but it's not okay for us regular folk to do the same thing?

You usually see it at punk and hardcore shows rather then metal tbh.......if it happens at a metal gig where the crowd happens to be more of the old school moshing type they usually get taken out as theyre threatening everybody in the pits well being......funniest thing I saw was some drunk idiot try to start doing it watching fucking motorhead at the plymouth pavilions a few years back,........yep hardcore dancing to motorhead!.............and he lasted all of about 10 seconds before being barged well out of the way in no uncertain terms.

Or put another way, why didn't you just move away?

You can see why from the average person's point of view, that we can't tell the difference though? The people doing it responsibly seem just as dangerous as the people doing it irresponsibly, and we're not heartened by seeing the 'responsible' person's retort to the other lot is 'taking them out'. That's just meeting violence with violence.

But whenever anyone else in this thread suggested acting in self defence if a mosher barges in to them, they've been told that's not on. So apparently it's okay for moshers to 'take out' people they think are dangerous, but it's not okay for us regular folk to do the same thing?

It depends, if someone bashes into you, hurts you, whatever, then they might get a friendly (but hefty) shove, but no ill will. If someone's being a total dickhead (you get some people who just get in the moshpit to hurt people/get an ego boost) then they might get a bit more.

If you're in the crowd, and a moshpit is opening up towards you, just give anyone bashing into you a good shove into the pit, and move away. No harm done, and the problem is solved.

Even if you're not a fan of moshpits, and your main interest is getting to the front, providing you don't mind a hefty shove or two, then moshpits make that incredibly easy, good luck finding a wide open space as far forward as they can be.

Edited by eoJ

Metallica playing the Pyramid is not the space and time? If your'e stupid enough to go in the front section whilst they are playing and then complain then you deserve what's coming.

What exactly is coming then if I decide to watch the band from the front section?

Violence and aggression?

Probably not at Leftfield anyway, it's not a big stage - it's a tent with two huge pillars in the middle near the front that you would not want to risk getting smacked in to.

Interesting that they're closing Leftfield, do they know any Clash?

They've been covering Should I Stay or Should I Go recently.

I was listening to them last night and thi smorning on my way into work. Very, very good I reckon. I've now got my Sunday (not very late) night headliner.

From what I've heard so far, a lot of the songs have a political, protest edge to them which will explain why they're on Leftfield.

I'm not a fan of metal, but after 37 pages i'm still not sure if moshing is:

a) good in any environment

b ) appropriate at GF with a not 100% metal crowd

I shall continue to keep an open mind...

Edited by Woffy

I'm not a fan of metal, but after 37 pages i'm still not sure if moshing is:

a) good in any environment

b ) appropriate at GF with a not 100% metal crowd

I shall continue to keep an open mind...

Advantages of mosh pits:

Allows others to enjoy themselves more

Releases any pent up aggression (taken out in a friendly manner)

Allows for easy routes to the front of the crowd

Disadvantages:

You might have someone of a moderately slim build bump into you (which you can easily move away from)

I don't see what problems people have with mosh pits, except for those who've never seen one up close, and only heard of people getting crushed (incredibly rare) and scary names like 'wall of death'. If someone falls over in a moshpit, everyone around them will always stop moshing and help them up (before starting again once they're safe and sound). It's friendlier than it looks.