Getting home from Glastonbury - Train vs Coach

Guest jesska17

Hey Guys,

Sorry if this questions has been answered - I couldn't find it - but just wondering whether its better to book on a train or a coach back from Glastonbury to London?

I'm imagining that it's easier to get on a coach as you'll have a guaranteed seat and won't need to take a shuttle to the train station, but concerned about how long it will take to get on the coach, get out of the festival and then drive back to london. All that might make the train quicker in the end....

Would love to hear recommendations!

There is not much difference really. They are all just as likely to get caught in the traffic around the festival. There could be large crowds at the station and you may have to wait outside the station until the platform is clear. Leave plenty of time before you train departs.

If you need to be back in London early then National Express will be better as they have coaches leaving every 30 minutes from 2.30am for £38.50. Some services are starting to sell out though.

The train is much more expensive for most services with some up to £96.50 for a one way ticket. There are some in the middle part of the day that match the £38.50 coach.

Tbh I've always found the coach easier as you only have to queue once and it usual takes the same amount of time. with the train you have to queue for a bus to the station, then unload all your stuff and queue again for a space on a train, last time I took the train back to London we even had to change trains half way through the journey.

Along the same lines (don't want to start a new thread).

I've bought my coach and festival ticket separately. Im happy with the coach arrangements getting there, coming back we are booked on a 7am national express to Manchester. Am I guaranteed my seat on that 7am coach or is it a bit of a free for all/ first come first served kind of thing

Edited by justperfect

Hi, my friend managed to grab a ticket just for festival entry yesterday! She is a teacher and so cannot come the wed thur and fri like all of us that are going in our group, she is gonna book the Friday off tho and come down Thursday night and I'm gonna meet her at the coach drop off or whatever is she best getting the train from plymouth to castle Cary and then shuttle bus? That's the only option I've seen really! Any help appreciated

Edited by EmsieXxX

Hi, my friend managed to grab a ticket just for festival entry yesterday! She is a teacher and so cannot come the wed thur and fri like all of us that are going in our group, she is gonna book the Friday off tho and come down Thursday night and I'm gonna meet her at the coach drop off or whatever is she best getting the train from plymouth to castle Cary and then shuttle bus? That's the only option I've seen really! Any help appreciated

I know it's too late now but for future reference and for anyone else reading this, having done both train and coach on the way home, I can 100% safely say that coach is a much more enjoyable experience. The trains are rammed with people and camping gear, you have to queue for a long time usually, waiting for the shuttle bus and then waiting to be allowed in to the station and then waiting to get on a train. Once you get on the train you will be lucky to get a seat and even if you do, you've got a hiking rucksack and a tent, maybe more, to worry about.

With a coach you queue once, you have a seat allocated to you so you're guaranteed a seat, and your stuff goes in the hold so you have nothing to worry about. National Express coaches are actually quite nice as coaches go. I use them quite frequently as they're so cheap compared to a train journey. The seats are comfortable, enough leg room and a toilet on board.

When you're tired and aching from a fantastic festival, you will most likely appreciate a comfortable seat, not changes on the train and having your stuff secure in the hold.