The Elusive Chanteuse

bamber

First things first. I'm happy about Kelis. Happy, no. Ecstatic. Kelis is very likely to be my highlight.

But,

We have Metalica, not good. Why never Mariah, why never Mary J Blige, why never Rhianna. Why never Erikah Badu, never Jill Scott, never Adele, Not Right

Mariah's new album is spectacularly titled "The Elusive Chanteuse" apt for this situation. Beyonce was the exceptional in every sense

mariah-japan-400x400.jpg.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

Love the new Kelis album. Pretty straightforward for her but excellent none the less.

Mariah Carey on the other hand

5 Octaves says you're wrong, A better sound than Mariah in full flow is something I've not experienced.

• Upvote 1

I would love to see more female headliners but Mariah is not one I would choose though I have to say it is mainly the female singers that I am most excited about this year. St Vincent, Little Dragon, Tuneyards, Kellis, Dolly, Lykke Li, Suzanne Vega, Alison Moyet, Nina Persson. It's a good year for female vocalists.

• Upvote 1

I would love to see more female headliners but Mariah is not one I would choose though I have to say it is mainly the female singers that I am most excited about this year. St Vincent, Little Dragon, Tuneyards, Kellis, Dolly, Lykke Li, Suzanne Vega, Alison Moyet, Nina Persson. It's a good year for female vocalists.

All good, but if we have Rock superstars, we should have Female R&B superstars too, that is all.

It seems that a more popular offering currently is the less-diva-ish female singer/songwriter, who are very well represented this year, I'm pleased to say!

Try out Kelis, Lana Del Rey, Lily Allen, Lucy Rose, Nina Persson, (Paul Heaton &) Jacqui Abbott, Sarah Whatmore, Sophie Ellis Bextor, Suzanne Vega, St Vincent, Anna Calvi, Alison Moyet, Chloe Howl, Ella Eyre, Ellie Goulding, Gabrielle Aplin, Alison Goldfrapp.

These are all class acts (several world-class) and I'd rather see any of them than Maria, I'm afraid! As soon as I see that air-brushing on her pictures I start to look for a bucket...

(oops sorry for repeating lots of Ruwise's post - but I agree totally!)

Edited by billum
  • Upvote 2

I'm hoping to catch Courtney Barnett too. Not the same style of music, but still a woman.

Yes forgot about Cortney and Beth Orton too has a fantastic voice. Mariah I appreciate is a good singer but I'm just not a fan of that singing style.

All good, but if we have Rock superstars, we should have Female R&B superstars too, that is all.

Why not female rock superstars as well speaking of which Blondie and Him as well! In fact the more I think about it this year's festival has perhaps the best line up of female talent that I could wish for. My guilty pleasure would be to see somebody like Pink playing as I'd never pay her gig prices but actually for a pop act I think she is pretty damn good.

I totally agree with the sentiment of this post. As a father of a 1 yr old girl, I want her to see women being as successful as men in all walks of life. Not a big fan of Mariah's music though, All I Want For Christmas aside. Now if only we can have more successful women artists who don't have to focus on their sexuality to make it big.

The likes of Bjork, Jo Hamilton and PJ Harvey are good role models of strong, independent female artists who are successful without making their looks the focal point of their acts. PJ in particular has expressed her sexuality in a way that seems to be about self expression, rather than dolling herself up for the sake of men.

Come on the girls! Any other positive role models?

Excellent clips - just fab stuff (I still wouldn't put Maria in the same class as Lauryn & Erika though - they seem to have some soul that's passed MC by, but happy to disagree on that).

I really regret not seeing Janelle Monae (in 2011?), and still keep a little candle alight that she might just appear again this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBeAwmow1eA