Could The Libertines play?

Guest kidsfears

Their stock is at a particularly low ebb at the moment, 4 years ago, loads of interest in them. These days, nope, if he could wait for another couple of years, might just get a decent crowd and a resurgence in interest. But a the moment, out of fashion, they'd not pull much of a crowd. Not enough to sell out, that's for sure.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a borderline Libs obsessive, but I was surprised to hear they're headlining - no chance they'll sell it out unless tickets are real cheap.

As Mardy says, their whole popularity has slumped since Reading - Pete/Shambles/Libs etc just doesn't have that passion it had 5 years ago, even Pete's last gig at the Jamm in Brixton took a while to sell out (for the first time in ages) - I'm guessing the whole generation of fans has grown up and moved on/lost interest and the Libs haven't had the staying power of enticing new fans.

Maybe this gig could re-ignite that passion from the early noughties and hopefully stop the trash of the likes of the 1975,Bastille and basically all modern 'guitar' music by private school kids (I'm looking at you Palma Violets). Gigs have become far too cultured and civilised for my liking nowadays, I miss the beer soaked, chaos that Libs and Shambles gigs used to be.

The Neil Young date isn't even sold out yet (and that's with the mighty The National supporting :P). It's been on sale since before Christmas. So I can't see how The Libertines would manage it.

They'd better not reduce the tickets on the BST dates as I recently gave in and forked out for one.

It would be the biggest gig of their career by a long long way. Definitely the biggest headline gig of The Libertines, I'm fairly certain they never supported any gigs on this scale, and as far as I can think, I can't remember any of 'Shambles/DPT/Peter solo supporting anything standalone on the scale of this. 'Shambles did play Wireless in '05 ish and DPT in '08 ish, but I can't really think of anything even vaguely fitting the bill other than that.

It would only be their fifth full gig together since 2004.

To be fair, R+L sold out instantly that year, and it probably would've with or without The Libs, and their small warm up gigs (well, the one that was for the public) sold out instantly too of course. So it's really difficult to gauge how big a draw they'd actually be. I think it'd sell out eventually though.