Public Service Broadcasting on West Holts

Guest aphex2020

Must have seen PSB about 5 or 6 times in the last 18 months, unless they have some new material then I think i'll be seeing Dolly Parton over them.

For those worried about how it'll translate on an open air stage in the day don't worry, I saw them at a local festival last summer and it worked fine.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a no brainer for me on two counts. Dolly I'll probably never get the chance to see again. Also I've only ever walked out of two gigs in over forty years. Both are people rated highly by others but they didn't work for me - maybe it was the mood that I was in on the nights. One was Mick Taylor years ago. I like Mick and I like The Stones but it was so boring. The other was PSB at Wychwood last year. Again, maybe it was me but it was a mix of boring and up their own backsides.

So Dolly wins this old fart over.

Changed my mind already. I love PSB but really don't want to miss Dolly and don't think I'll ever pay to see her at her own shows so better take this opportunity. To be fair she is going to be amazing. Especially if it is really sunny.

I saw the last few numbers they played at End Of The Road last year and they were fantastic, however, that was in a tent with lots of media going on. I will hopefully be seeing them at Shambala in August so Dolly it will be for me ( and no way am I missing her anyway)

Honestly folks, don't get pulled in by big names that you feel you should see. The reason a lot of you won't see Dolly at a gig anywhere else is that you wouldn't pay £50+ because you don't like her that much. You probably don't own any of her records and you'll be standing around for an hour waiting to sing along to 9 to 5. Bollocks to that.

You're probably thinking you have to see it because it's the only thing your Mum will watch on the coverage all week and you want to tell her how awesome it was.

Honestly folks, don't get pulled in by big names that you feel you should see. The reason a lot of you won't see Dolly at a gig anywhere else is that you wouldn't pay £50+ because you don't like her that much. You probably don't own any of her records and you'll be standing around for an hour waiting to sing along to 9 to 5. Bollocks to that.

You're probably thinking you have to see it because it's the only thing your Mum will watch on the coverage all week and you want to tell her how awesome it was.

Honestly folks, don't get pulled in by big names that you feel you should see. The reason a lot of you won't see Dolly at a gig anywhere else is that you wouldn't pay £50+ because you don't like her that much. You probably don't own any of her records and you'll be standing around for an hour waiting to sing along to 9 to 5. Bollocks to that.You're probably thinking you have to see it because it's the only thing your Mum will watch on the coverage all week and you want to tell her how awesome it was.

Around 5 years ago I had a summer temp job doing hospitality at racecourses. I had to get a minibus full of other skint students at 5am to get to a course in Scotland and the driver played his "wife's" Dolly Parton's greatest hits cd on repeat the entire way there (and most of the way back later that day)! It was a good laugh at first and people were singing along but when track 1 came on for the 3rd time and everyone was trying to sleep it got pretty annoying.

Having completed the the necessary Dolly detox period I'm now really looking forward to seeing her on the Pyramid :-D

PSB on West Holts - seems a very strange stage to put them on. Is it me or has West Holts become more 'mainstream' this year. There seems to be so many more appropriate stages they could play on - leave West Holts to what it's good at! Don't make it just like any other stage please

Edited by Dave F.

What a ridiculous reason not to watch a band.

I'd never seen nor heard any records by The Flaming Lips when I went to see them in the New Bands Tent. I'd just been told they were amazing live & I should check them out. As a consequence I became a fan & bought their records. Even though Dolly Parton is not a new act, there could well be new, younger listeners who are won over by her & get into her style of music.

Miss Parton is not an idiot. She knows she's not playing to a captive audience of die-hard fans. She'll be fully aware many have come along (in the sunshine!) just to sing along to a few of her *many* well known songs, and since I've seen PSB a couple of times, I've decided I'll be one of them. I'm particularly looking forward to 'Love is like a Butterfly' &really hoping Jack White will join her on guitar for 'Jolene' (one of the best songs written _ever_).