How to find each other?

Guest Sparky69

This may sound like a simple question but...

How do you find your friends at Glasto?

The missus and I have differences of opinion - sometimes - of which band to see (although most of the time we compromise as its easier and nicer with so much going on). But... whenever we've separated to catch our own bands its been a nightmare finding each other after.

There's either no mobile signal / there's so much noise that you don't hear the call / so much network traffic you don't get the text; or you use a landmark but then have to be rooted to the spot waiting and looking out (instead of enjoying)...

Anyone have any nifty suggestions other than implanting her with a tracking or GPS beacon ?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once you know the site well (and I don't know if you both do or not) then a simple text and a location is enough normally. Texts get through even on a weak mobile signal but admittedly can take a while if the network is busy. My wife and I just go for the "I'll meet you in the centre of the flag circle by the Brothers bar at 2:30" and then go our separate ways...

The first tip is not to worry about it too much. If you've got 10 friends going, don't make it your lifes work to corral 10 people. Let 3 people do something in the morning, 6 go and do something else, 8 in the evening while 2 are doing their own thing and one is exploring on their own... basically, don't let Glasto be hard work and it won't be.

We tend to message or phone when we can (or want to) but more often than not it's a case of whoever's back at camp under the Gazebo when you're up there and going "Do you fancy X?" and doing it.

If your friends have iPhones you could also enable a weeks access to each other on the Find My Friends app.

Text messages have been known to take a full 24 hours to go through, so a call when you can both hear each other is often the best way of ensuring a message has been received and understood.

Edited by UEF

The first tip is not to worry about it too much. If you've got 10 friends going, don't make it your lifes work to corral 10 people. Let 3 people do something in the morning, 6 go and do something else, 8 in the evening while 2 are doing their own thing and one is exploring on their own... basically, don't let Glasto be hard work and it won't be.

We tend to message or phone when we can (or want to) but more often than not it's a case of whoever's back at camp under the Gazebo when you're up there and going "Do you fancy X?" and doing it.

If your friends have iPhones you could also enable a weeks access to each other on the Find My Friends app.

When we arrive at a stage or tent we agree a pickup point (quite often the nearest meeting point) and if any of us get seperated during a set we send someone to lead them back to the fold at the end.

That usually works, on the odd times it doesn't and 2 or 3 sets go by then one or more of us will head back to camp to pick them up as that is the fall back meeting place.

Edit - This is for when people want to stay in the group - a partner or son gets seperated etc. We have a large group and split up to do our own thing pretty often. Someone will tend to pick them up at camp then as people are always popping back for more drinks or clothes and stuff.

After a few years and lots of festivals together it's all pretty easy and routine.

Edited by The_Amazing_Oblong

My phone still messes up at times & never hear it anyway, don't want to be continually looking at it so, time and specific place to meet, it's got to be real specific, seeing somebody in a crowd is real hard & then a back up one for later in case it doesn't happen. Failing that you both share a tent, you'll catch each other eventually :).

Whatever you do, don't put your hand in the air and do the bird thing! Not only is it embarrassing, there will probably be a load of other people doing it in the same field.

If we're not together going to watch a band and the network's too busy for a phone call we stay separated throughout and meet up afterwards. If doing so you can usually send a text and it will have been received by the time the band has finished. We have a few strategically located meeting points that are known by the whole group - certain food stalls etc. And everyone usually reconvenes at the camp after the headliners to restock and attack the night.

i love a good wander around by myself some of the best times i've had have been a lone wolf (well as lone wolfy as you can be at a festival)...

problem is this year is i'm going with my fiance and this is only her second festival and both our first festival that it has just been the 2 of us and she has said repeatedly don't be leaving me in glastonbury

i think if we do get lost it'll be a nightmare, but its sure to happen ... massive crowd + lots of drink + 5 days = lone wolf

edit: scrubb that ^^^^ acid = lone wolf :sarcastic:

Edited by gerardfenton18

wow... that was a lot of responses in a quick period of time.

Gerard - it's just me and the missus (I only have virtual friends these days anyway!).

We've been to Glasto last 2 times so know our general way around and where things are.

Wilko & Jono - Without kicking off a whole anti/pro flag debate - we usually take a flag (usually including the wife's bra strapped to it) and stay far away from the front, but when the sun sets the problem comes.

UEF - great idea re Find My Friends (except she only has an iPod and a crappy Tesco mobile).

Simpo - love the numbers idea... but we'll fight over who is number one in our marriage ! :sarcastic:

I think the best idea eg Whisty, Scareyclaire, Keef, etc...- to be "very" specific about the time/location with no ambiguity in the message. Last year I text the missus that I was under the 3rd flag from Arcadia at the back of the Other Stage field... so she went in the opposite direction (obviously it was still my fault that she didn't find me!!).

P.S. Alan was my wife's name - before the accident - so shouting that could get confusing !! :banghead::crazy:

We usually have a specific spot to meet at most of the bigger stages. A quick discussion in the morning to see who will be seeing the same bands as you, and then you can hang around the spot for a bit and see if anyone else shows up. Texts work in the end, but aren't very good for immediate communication as they take a while to get through.