Getting to M4 to Cardiff after the festival

Guest markussnoopy

Hi there,

The last couple of trips leaving Glastonbury on the Monday after the festival by car at around midday/2pm we’ve somehow found myself bizarrely stuck on the commuting traffic into Bath (for an hour or so)while attempting to head to Cardiff via the M4!! This I guess is a combination of following the sheep leaving the site, following diversions by stewards/police, trying to avoid Bristol traffic and also having a fuzzy sense of direction after 4 /5 days of exhausting myself in a field.

Can someone please advise the best way to get to the M4 as soon as possible (with diversions outside the site in mind) so that I can get to Cardiff and have that amazing first post festival shower in the hotel at a reasonable time of day. Am I better off taking on Bristol and bypassing around in somehow? (i think i recall i got stuck in Bristol another time)

Thanks,

Mark

It's six of one and half a dozen of the other, really. If you leave in the middle of the day on Monday you hit peak festival traffic. If you leave earlier (before 9) or later (after 3) you hit the cities in rush hour. The most direct way goes nowhere near Bath, up the A37 to Bristol, through Redcliffe and onto the M32, but then you'll get Bristol traffic. Could you bypass by going along to past Glastonbury (the town) and Street to the M5 south of Bristol, maybe, then up to the M4?

(Incidentally, if you 'have a fuzzy sense of direction after 4/5 days of exhausting yourself in a field' you need to consider whether you're safe to be driving full stop!)

I'd suggest:

Head to Shepton Mallet on the A37.

Take a left on Charlton Rd (A361) through the town. This then becomes the A371.

Follow the road via Wells and Cheddar as far as Winscombe.

Turn right on A38 for a few miles, then left A368.

At the Worle roundabout, turn right on the A370. This joins the M5 at St. George's. Then up to the M4 over the bridge.