Bringing a bike to glastonbury

Guest Uncle Traveling Matt

Last year was my first Glasto and I seen some people with their bikes there. I was half thinking about bringing mine this year but I cant seem to find any information about it on the website. I was wondering has anyone ever brought theirs and what the pros and cons might be regarding it. Is there places to lock it up apart from the lock ups? Is it more hassle than its worth? Would it piss people off having people cycling around on bikes?

to me giving the size of the site it seems like it might be a good idea to get somewhere fast and relatively easily

Edited by Uncle Traveling Matt

There is a special Cycle compound just outside Gate A (I know because its next to the Motorbike compound, which is what I come on). It has the same level of security (guys on the gate checking cycle tickets) and barriers to lock your bike on. What it also gets you is into the special cycle compound camping inside the site near Gate A (check out the Glaso map - its marked). It comes replete with hot showers and your own compostible toilets.

Its great if you have a nice luggage drop off near your house (as luggage is taken to the site for you), otherwise you have to lug your own on your panniers. Other advantages - park your bike in compound, go in and its only literally about a 2 minute walk to the special camping area.

My gang have thought about it a few times (Castle Cary station is only about 10 miles away if you don't want to cycle prodigious distances), but our nearest luggage drop off is miles from our Town so defeating the object somewhat.

I don't think you're allowed to cycle around inside the site though.

Edited by Nickyboy

Seen a few on bikes and always thought what a good idea.

In reality too much hassle tho!

Cant see gf allowing bikes on site as after a skin full there's way too much chance of taking out a random bystander although not seen anywhere stating 'no bikes allowed'.

A bike would certainly make short work of those "oh bugger, I've got to walk from the stone circle to the farmhouse and back to get my jumper" moments

Might be interesting 'under the influence'...

Edited by UEF

the last few years we have brought our bikes to Glasto with bike trailers to help get our kit from the car parks to where we are camped , taking the weight off our backs and therefore much easier work , after that we put them in the lockups but I'm sure ive seen others cycling about :)