EE festival Power bar

Lexbank

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone tell me if I'm wrong to advise this, but I've been told that you should fully discharge a battery, then give it a full charge to ensure that all the cells are fully charged.

No.

Or to be more exact - it's true for certain battery types, but doesn't really apply much these days.

If a battery is Nickel based then it would definitely good be advice, but these days most devices you encounter use lithium based batteries which behave a lot more consistently.

Google "memory effect" if you want the boring technical stuff.

Someone tell me if I'm wrong to advise this, but I've been told that you should fully discharge a battery, then give it a full charge to ensure that all the cells are fully charged.

You should really try and avoid as far as practical fully discharging the lithium ion batteries on your devices because that can affect and reduce the total cycle life of the battery.

BTW another tip would be if you dont want your battery on any device to die make sure you do not store the device unused for prolonged period when the battery is fully discharged. You should power it down if not using it for a long time with at least 40% charge. Some say 40% is in fact the optimum charge to have in a device if storing it unused for a long time due to some technical reasoning I dont fully know.............

Edited by ThomThomDrum

Cheers for the info. The source was not one I consider reliable, billy bullshitter I work with who reckons he's an expert on any and every subject that comes up in conversation and shouts down anyone with an opposing viewpoint.

I happen to have an old mobile I take to Glastonbury which has a PAYG EE/orange sim with a few pounds credit on it so have used that to order a free power bar. It's probably cheaper to buy a sim and order a free charger than pay £25.00 for one!

A lot of folk in work travel and so power bars have been deemed an acceptable work expense. It allows those on the road use their phones and tablets fully without having to stop and look for a power source. As such I will be borrowing a 22400mAh power bar for Glasto. That should get mine and the Mrs' phone through the few days and so we will still be able to stay in contact with the kids at home easily enough...........

Hi bit of a newbie at GF 2nd year this year ! Whats the charge for the lock ups ?

Didnt feel the need to use them last year.

And you can charge up devices while they are locked up ?

cheers

Property lock ups are free however donations welcome.

Some offer phone charging however this is limited in terms of how many phones they can charge at a time so get really busy. The massive plus is that you can leave them charging and come back. I'd highly recommend visiting the lock ups before you go to bed, stick your phone in to charge and pick up in the morning. Easy peasy.

There isn't a cost for the charging but the recommended donation last year was £3. No idea if they'll make it compulsory this year. (the majority of people didn't leave a donation for phone charging).

Any questions just shout.

Cheers for the info. The source was not one I consider reliable, billy bullshitter I work with who reckons he's an expert on any and every subject that comes up in conversation and shouts down anyone with an opposing viewpoint.

I think older lithium ion batteries suffered from "memory" issues so you had to fully discharge / charge regularly - my mate who did a lot of remote control plane stuff used to do this (and store them in a metal tin in case they blew up!) but I think the new lith-ions are no longer prone to such memory problems and like THomThomDrum says actually prefer having a half-charge.

What annoys me about the EE ones is they are selling new ones this year and not supporting last years ones, so basically another money making exercise. For an extra £10 last year I bought one of the better ones off of Amazon and I had plenty of charge left after 5 days recharging an iPhone

Mine arrived last weekend, Im really pleased with it, it's got some weight to it but otherwise it's brilliant

my wasn't fully charged when it arrived though, it only had 3 of the 4 LED's on, so make sure you get it charged up before you leave to get the most out of it

Not sure if this has been said but run it flat first then charge it to full. Not sure of the exact theory behind this but it does make a difference.

I didn't realised you could charge you phone in the lock ups?

My lock up (Pennard) has been doing it for 2 years - it's isn't advertised as not all offer charging. It fills up really quickly and takes a good few hours for a full charge however you can just leave it and come back.

I think older lithium ion batteries suffered from "memory" issues

I don't think lithium ion batteries suffer from batter memory, but the old nickel hydride ones certainly did.

Have any EE customers who registered for either the wristband or free powerbar actually received any kind of confirmation from EE that the order has gone through?

Nothing yet.. and not until 15th June according to twitter

Have any EE customers who registered for either the wristband or free powerbar actually received any kind of confirmation from EE that the order has gone through?

No just an a note at the time saying they would email me in due course.

Tried to get an extra one because I'm an EE mobile and Broadband customer. First time used my mobile details, second used my landline. Two separate accounts so can't see why it won't work.

Tried to get an extra one because I'm an EE mobile and Broadband customer. First time used my mobile details, second used my landline. Two separate accounts so can't see why it won't work.

Yeah me too.. I've so far managed to get hold of several of these powerbars from EE relatives/friends etc, so wondering if they cross-reference user accounts with seetickets to check if you're actually going to the Festival before issueing wristbands - otherwise we should be able to sort out a number of people!