Game of Thrones discussion thread

bunique

***Edited: 2/6 - posts here may make reference to the US airing of the show (Sunday nights/early hours Monday morning) so you may want to avoid until after you have seen the UK showing in case of spoilers!***

Thought it was worth starting a thread to stop the TV thread being taken over.

I'm going to work on the basis that posts here follow the airing of the UK episodes (9pm Mondays) so nothing would need to be spoilered?

We've just watched this week's but will bite my tongue til after 10! I made the mistake of googling "band at wedding" part way through the episode and strode straight into the spoiler - will hold off until the end of the episode in future!!

Edited by bunique

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if the thread is gonna contain spoilers, you should ask Neil to edit the thread title, and also mention "no book spoilers" or something. Just to keep it clear.

Anyway, I am half pleased and half disappointed that Joff is dead, we all loved to hate him, and I would have loved to have seen Arya, or even better Sansa run the c**t through with a carving fork!

I'm strangely sad he's gone! I despised him for most of the series but he was a brilliant character. The stand off with Tyrion was fantastic.

(I did think that about spoilers etc but wasn't sure how everyone would want it to go - hopefully they'll just read the first post before scrolling!)

Good episode.

Happy the prick is dead even though he will be missed. I wonder if his fool dropped it in the drink? Or if he saw Sansa do it and so thats why he took her away. I actually hope she did it. She very much deserves some revenge.

Hopefully it does not totally screw Tyrion over.

Brilliant episode but I feel it was a little bit ruined for me as I knew something big was going to happen at end. I didn't know what was going to happen but it's not the same when you know something huge is going to go down instead of not having a clue. I noticed on Sunday night that Sigur Ros (loved their cameo btw) would be doing Rains of Castamere at end credits. I never clicked at the time then I realised every time that song seems to feature (Red Wedding) a big death occurs.

Joffrey great character but the bastard deserved it didn't he. One of best villains in recent television history though.

Me and the missus both cheered at the telly when we watched it, which outside of sports is a sign of i) engaging television and ii) possible mental defects.

Agree with russy that it was a bit of a lame ending for such a core character but the author has never seemed to have a problem with getting rid of characters and moving on. Be interesting to see what happens in King's Landing now, especially given that the other story threads seem either aimless (Theon, Arya) or have annoying characters (Stannis, Daenerys).

Oh and good thread, first person to come in with 'well if you've read the books you'll know...' gets abuse.

Good episode.

Happy the prick is dead even though he will be missed. I wonder if his fool dropped it in the drink? Or if he saw Sansa do it and so thats why he took her away. I actually hope she did it. She very much deserves some revenge.

Hopefully it does not totally screw Tyrion over.

Yeah I was thinking it was the fool and Stansa together, concocted when they met and he gave her the necklace.

I hate people who have read the books who think it is nothing to tell you not only that a character dies, but how.

I agree that in some ways it is a shame, as the actor playing Joffrey had managed to make him so easy to hate, with mannerisms that would make you want to slap him. Even sat in a chair his posture screamed dickhead.

My theory is that his mum did him in. Poison is her weapon of choice and she was clearly not relishing giving up power. He might have been married but it wasn't consummated so I guess that still makes her Queen.

Good call spindles!

Joffreys death was the spoiler I knew about from that c**t Frankie Boyle on twitter, I didnt know when or how, but he tweeted something along the lines of "Joffrey gets poisoned" I unfollowed him after that. c**t.

I still think the thread name needs changing to at the very least "no book spoilers"

Theons shaving scene was great, and the opening scene with the dogs was very brutal. I thought the wedding was a little bit rushed tbh, I didnt pick up any talk of "the wedding tomorrow" or anything like that, I just imagined it was going to be at the end of the series for some reason.

I'm guessing his "wife" will just go back to being a nobody? Can't see Diana Rigg being too pleased at that. Jamie should marry her (from a Lannister point of view)

I think the show lacks out and out "baddies" so to kill off one of the very few of them was a bad idea. I know I should not be shocked when a major character dies, but why him!

I knew someone major was going to die at that wedding, but I was convinced it was going to be Tyrion, or at the very least Shae was going to be brought out and slaughtered with joffreys new sword. Much as I like tyrion, he is much more disposable than joffrey was.

Who do we hate now?? It was a masterstroke to put someone so bonkers in a position of such high power.

What a fantastic episode - the wedding scene was horricly tense, you knew something was brewing with Joff's treatment of Tyrion. I thought it was going to be a bit rushed as thought they didn't do the breakfast scene justice, but for the last quarter of an hour I counldn't turn away.

Bit of a geeky book info - the book that Tyrion gave Joffrey, although looked like a rather boring present, was very valuable and only 4 (well 3) currently exist. A lot of the other characters praised Tyrion for it in private. Not a spoiler, but thought it added to the background a bit.

The Bolton's seem like an interesting bunch of out and out psychos. I'm pretty sure we'll find enough villainy there to make up for the snearing little slime ball's demise.

I like that GoT is happy to kill off major characters as it sees fit and often when you least expect it. Ned Stark's demise at the end of the first series set the tone there.

I'm a book reader, but I'd never dream of spoiling it for people. Thats a dick move. Saying that, before I'd read the books or seen the show, my brother was watching the first series and I asked him if Sean Bean had died yet (as I thought it happened at the start of the series). Turns out he was only on the third episode..

I wonder if there'll be flashbacks to the wedding when the culprit is revealed. As was clear the motive, means and opportunity were there.

GRRM sharpened it up from his previously outlined scheme. 15 years thinking about how to improve it did him well it seems.

Also loved intereration between Oberyn and Cersei.

Been looking forward to this episode. Tyrion's rebuff when Joffrey asks him to joust was brilliant.

I was quite annoyed when they killed him off in the book. In a strange sort of way he was one of my favourite characters. I don't think I've despised a character so much in any thing I've seen or read. But don't worry the events in Kings Landing do not get any less interesting.