Game of Thrones discussion thread

bunique

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

My favourite exchange last night was between Bronn and Jamie regarding the dragons.

Bronn: You're fucked mate.

Jamie: Don't you mean WE'RE fucked?

Bronn: No I do not. 

Yeah that was good alright, but I dont think I enjoyed it enough as I should have at the time as I was still dealing with my disbelief that they not only survived that but they got away! 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Quality is shit so I would not bother if I were you.

Twill be hard to sit on my hands till Monday however and I just hope to God I dont come across any frigging spoilers! 

Looks much better than the last leak anyway, HD at least. Watching to avoid spoilers as always prick ruining it on FB.

Just now, When Jokers Attack said:

Looks much better than the last leak anyway, HD at least. Watching to avoid spoilers as always prick ruining it on FB.

Really? HD? I had a quick look at the start to see if worth watching tonight and it was not great quality to my eyes (far from HD) and the sound was poor enough, albeit the overall quality was far better than the Spoils of War leak.

57 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Really? HD? I had a quick look at the start to see if worth watching tonight and it was not great quality to my eyes (far from HD) and the sound was poor enough, albeit the overall quality was far better than the Spoils of War leak.

HD rip at least. Not saying it's perfect but will do me for now. Only looked at picture so not heard sound yet but going to watch regardless.  Spoils of War leak was bad but still watchable. 

2 hours ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Quality is shit so I would not bother if I were you.

I don't know what copy you watched but a perfect 1080p is available.  My son and I were discussing it and we reckon that for the last 2 seasons once they ran out of book source they've just plundered reddit and built the scripts out of what everyone has said they want to happen.

The episode itself doesn't waste a moment, as far as I'm concerned.   Delivers a ton of fan service, loads of great visuals and effects without leaving out the quality dialogue that has always been one of the strengths.  If you watch the leak (do so!) or wait til it airs you're going to love every minute, I reckon.

It was my day off work and my son was able to finish early when he heard it leaked, was nice to be able to sit down together and enjoy it.

So the Brotherhood and the mountain in a cell. How did that happen? were they off to Winterfell anyway, I can't remember seemed odd at the time

Also in the first episode of this season when we see the giant with the white walkers, he has one eye so I assume he is the one Ramsey shot. How the hell did he get so far north, I can't believe they took him all the way up there after his death

I don't think it was the last giant (wuntun or something like that was his name) as they would have burned the bodies under Jon Snow's command, just a giant that has fallen in the skirmishes before, not to mention that he died at Winterfell and the army is coming from North of there.  I do expect there to be a dead hodor in amongst the army of the dead though.

3 hours ago, Spindles said:

I don't know what copy you watched but a perfect 1080p is available.  My son and I were discussing it and we reckon that for the last 2 seasons once they ran out of book source they've just plundered reddit and built the scripts out of what everyone has said they want to happen.

The episode itself doesn't waste a moment, as far as I'm concerned.   Delivers a ton of fan service, loads of great visuals and effects without leaving out the quality dialogue that has always been one of the strengths.  If you watch the leak (do so!) or wait til it airs you're going to love every minute, I reckon.

It was my day off work and my son was able to finish early when he heard it leaked, was nice to be able to sit down together and enjoy it.

Talking about the leaked episode 6 so if you haven't seen it don't read this.

I thought it was alright but it's starting to get very predictable now, and the more they feature the more I realise I don't really give a shit about the walkers and the encounters with them nearly as much as I do as the human characters. The fact that they're just pure evil and nothing else is far less interesting than Cersei and the other evil human characters, and I felt like the whole fight seen was just Hardhome pt.2. Obviously this was all inevitable as it was the only way the show was heading, but I'm just finding it far less satisfying than I thought it'd be.

Jon and Dany's romance, whilst almost inevitable, seems to have been rushed and I'm not really buying it.

The amount of red shirts that got killed in that battle was hilarious. Thought they'd grown a pair and were gonna kill of Tormund for a second but no, all the main characters escaped, again, so was a bit of a cop out in that sense (except Thoros but hardly a main character).

Benjen turning up to save the day and then being immediately killed also pretty lame and out of nowhere. Show is starting to use a LOT of deus ex machina-like plot devices.

I did enjoy it (despite all my nitpicking), but not quite the amazing episode I was hoping for. Much preferred episode 4.   

Edited by FloorFiller

Reading through some articles/reviews of the latest episode and Christ was it disjointed/full of plot holes (more so than I'd realised). Think reducing the amount of episodes per-season has really left the show feeling rushed, and what should've been an absolutely mind blowing episode (Dany face to face with the Night King ffs) just felt like a bit of a mess. Hoping this doesn't continue and they've got the rest figured out. 

I don't mind the predictability so much, I'm still finding it great fun to watch. I don't read Dany and Jon as a romance (yet?) - more that they're both alone in the world, she especially, and recognise there's a connection without knowing what it is yet. I'll be disappointed if that's where they go with it. 

Cant get too hung up on plot holes. It held together well enough for me. It's a fantasy series, I expect to suspend my disbelief for an hour or so a week. 

It is rushed but there was as much complaining in previous series about slow episodes when all the characters were on the move. 

Arya is a stone cold bitch :lol:

There's suspending disbelief and then there's just poor storytelling. The dragon being dragged out of the water wrapped in chains (that came from?!) by a bunch of the undead who half an hour earlier wouldn't go anywhere near the water is a big oversight imo, and a bunch of other stuff in this episode just didn't add up. Like you say, a lot of the time I can look past it because of the nature of the show, but this time they totally took me out of the episode and made what should've been a pivotal moment in the show seem kind of shite and half arsed.

Its defo too rushed IMO and poor writing is exposing plot holes, issues and inconsistencies that can niggle, but overall im enjoying it.

Why did Benjen feel the need to get off that horse to die? No need whatsoever 

Why cant Benjen pass the wall but the wight they are bringing to Kings Landing can?

Why did the Night King aim his spear at a flying dragon and not Drogon sitting on the rock with all his enemies surrounding him (including Danny atop of him)?

Why did the Night King not go after Jon et al when they were stuck on the rocks? Him being such a great spear chucker n all?

Gendry running back to the wall to send a raven to Dragonstone to get Danny to come up and help was a timeline disaster.

A bit convenient that when Jon kills the White Walker that all the wights fall instantly with the exception of 1. And its only 1 they need to complete the mission. 

A bunch of the party die but its only Thoros who we know. Not wishing death on characters I love but seriously?

Where did they get those chains to raise a dead Dragon? 

Why is Bran not talking to those in Winterfell as to what is going on and what has happened in the past? There is no need for Arya and Sansa to be at each other if Bran lets them in on what the hell is happening. 

Anyway............

Reckon we see an Ice Dragon attack the integrity of the Wall sometime?

Next week could be a humdinger. The meeting is set up to have some very interesting dialog. I wonder if Cersi will be planning to do something or will her knifes be sharpened for another time. Looks as if Danny aint attending the meeting, or does she sweep in on Drogon showing Cersi who is the big cheese. 

Got a feeling we are going to have at least 1 if not multiple major deaths this episode..........

Edited by ThomThomDrum

14 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Also Arya has gone from being badass to straight up mental. Really don't understand why she was acting THAT badly to Sansa despite Sansa's really quite reasonable explanation for the note. 

Yeah, like if Arya is now really a "faceless man" then it goes she has the worlds best bullshit detector in her mind (Faceless men can detect lies if one recalls), yet she does not believe Sansa when she says she was forced to write the letter to Rob even though we all know she was. Major inconsistency IMO

Is there a degree of - "forced" to write it but willing to save her own skin? - which is why Arya is talking about. 

Bran seems to have been dismissed by everyone including the Maesters so I can understand why they're not paying much attention to him. He's also kind of transcended the humans around him right? So maybe he doesn't really give a shit about "warning" anybody.

Have to agree with a lot of what's being said here, it's a show about dragons, ice zombies and weird magic-sex-ghost-assassin things (seriously, WTF was that??) but it still had an internal logic and consistency which has been abandoned over the course of this series. They've abandoned everything I loved about the series - the intrigue, the plotting, the human element in terms of great characterisation and motivations, and replaced it with bombastic set pieces that look great but don't make a lot of sense. Characters used to take entire series to travel around the map, now they seem to be wharping across entire continents in minutes, and don't get me started on the supersonic fucking ravens that fly about now. The Wights are the least interesting element of the whole thing to me, I'd be happy to kill them all next week and have the final series as one big squabble between the various factions for the throne.

Given that Dany had three dragons why didn't they think to just barbecue the Night's King there and then? 

TBF the inconsistencies have been there throughout the TV programme in one way or another from the get go and we have actually highlighted them on this thread in the past, but it seems that they are more frequent in this series and thats probably due to the lack of detailed book material to work off. As for the time line issues, that was always going to happen considering they want to wrap it all up in 12/13 episodes over 2 series when the book output will probably eventually warrant that it should have be done over 4 X 10 episode periods.........

Lets not forget that the slow pacing was a bugbear on many in series past, but now that we are used to such this new hyped up pacing is extremely jarring

The thing that probably confuses me most is that in nearly each episode now we get these niggles that are very obvious/annoying to the viewers and fans yet these somehow were not considered or picked up upon during writing, shooting and editing etc etc..........gives it an overall sense of rush and lack of care

They probably will have been picked up, but the makers decided it didn't matter. Cracked did a good piece (or possibly podcast, or both) about this in films. Most inconsistencies or continuity errors or whatever will be known about but a decision has been made to leave it in either because they don't care, redoing it will cost to much, or getting a small detail wrong is less important than telling the story they want to tell and they bank on most people not noticing.

I guess the problem with GOT now is that some of these inconsistencies are getting pretty bloody big and noticeable. Couple that with ultra obsessive fans and a million blogs recapping each episode line by line. A lot of people still won't notice though, or if they do, they won't care all that much

1 hour ago, philipsteak said:

I guess the problem with GOT now is that some of these inconsistencies are getting pretty bloody big and noticeable. 

I firmly believe its a lack of source material issue causing it to be more noticeable. A well structured, in depth narrative to work off would most likely absorb most of them.