Game of Thrones discussion thread

bunique

The whole first act of the episode was stunning. One of the best shot, paced and scored sequences they've ever done. Felt unlike anything we've seen previously as well. 

I hope that Qyburn now gets more screen time. I find Anton Lesser a really fascinating screen presence and he's made a really eery, compelling character out of very little screen time.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Qyburn has been excellent throughout.  Did anyone else notice that, as well as murdering Pycelle to become the Grand-Maester he also now wears the pin of the Hand of the Queen.  Cersei's ascent is almost Stalinist, disposing of her enemies ruthlessly, concentrating all the power into a single role for Qyburn (Grand Maester, Master of Whisperers, Hand).  It would seem only natural that purges would be her next step, she has absolutely no concern for anyone's opinion of her actions and is quite content to rule through fear and repression.

The conclusion of the story that we are heading towards is looking amazing, after people had grumbled that some story arcs had bumbled along unsatisfactorily things were all really drawn together at the end of this season.  Obviously those who chat and theorise about the show have mostly been correct in what they believed was going to happen, but all the same seeing it play out on screen is great.  I look forward to seeing all the valyrian steel in Westeros lined up together for the war against the dead (the smaller sword of Joffrey's must surely end up in the hands of Tyrion).

13 hours ago, Winslow Leach said:

The whole first act of the episode was stunning. One of the best shot, paced and scored sequences they've ever done. Felt unlike anything we've seen previously as well. 

I hope that Qyburn now gets more screen time. I find Anton Lesser a really fascinating screen presence and he's made a really eery, compelling character out of very little screen time.

The music was stunning wasnt it?

Well that was an utterly brilliant end to the season, apart from Tommen's death (:lol:)

Gutted they killed off Margery too, just when she had been outwitted by the High Sparrow and then worked out Cersei's plan.

Glad all the storylines are finally merging again and seemingly have a point again to them. (I mean they did, but a couple were dragging a bit).

Not sure I like Jon being King in the North either, better as an outside imo

8 minutes ago, LondonTom said:

Well that was an utterly brilliant end to the season, apart from Tommen's death (:lol:)

Gutted they killed off Margery too, just when she had been outwitted by the High Sparrow and then worked out Cersei's plan.

Glad all the storylines are finally merging again and seemingly have a point again to them. (I mean they did, but a couple were dragging a bit).

Not sure I like Jon being King in the North either, better as an outside imo

With Cersei, Yara, Dany, Olenna, and the Dorne lot (can't even be arsed to learn their names.) moving to the front, I thought they might set it up so Sansa was Queen instead. Make it all about the women

15 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

With Cersei, Yara, Dany, Olenna, and the Dorne lot (can't even be arsed to learn their names.) moving to the front, I thought they might set it up so Sansa was Queen instead. Make it all about the women

well she doesn't look at all happy about Jon being named the King so she may let Littlefinger sway her in to making some kind of stand in the next series. and we've still got Gendry out there somewhere who is the rightful heir to the throne (but i imagine he'll appear and be killed before that ever happens)

Just now, Winslow Leach said:

I've seen a lot of people saying this but I really didn't get that impression at all. She looked fine with it until she saw the look Littlefinger was throwing her and Jon.

i got the impression Littlefinger's little talk had gotten in her head and was starting to think she was the rightful queen (which, with Gendry taken out of the picture, she is)

i do love how both Littlefinger and Varys (Littlefinger moreso) who are quite minor characters in the grand scheme of things have essentially caused most of the actions from the shows start (Littlefinger for his own benefit - Varys for Dany's/what he believe's is right's benefit). wouldn't surprise me if Littlefinger lasts until the shows conclusion and makes a power move after pulling the strings for most of the show

14 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

i got the impression Littlefinger's little talk had gotten in her head and was starting to think she was the rightful queen (which, with Gendry taken out of the picture, she is)

Gendry isn't the rightful King of the North though....technically Bran is, as he's the Eldest Stark.

As for King/Queen of the 7 Kingdoms, I saw an article that dug through the family trees and it showed that with Tommen gone without an heir, then Cersei would be rightful Queen anyway (something about a Baratheon marrying into the Lannisters a few generations ago and Jaime having given up his rights when he joined the Kingsguard).

On 29/06/2016 at 2:29 PM, ThomThomDrum said:

Whats the story with Qyburn getting the little birds to kill Pycelle? Pycelle was on his way to the trial and no one in attendance survived that! Why not just let him die with the rest? Is it purely for sadistic reasons or was there another "logical" reason for it?

I think this is a timeline thing again, where it wasn't happening at exactly the same time.  Qyburn killed Pycelle so that he was able to become Arch-Maester and thus able to crown Cersei.

On 6/30/2016 at 7:23 PM, ThomThomDrum said:

Was Pycelle not on his way to the trial when the little bird stopped him and whispered in his ear but? 

possibly for personal reasons, as Pycelle had been pretty vocal in warning Cersei about trusting Qyburn, and probably just a way to show the viewers just how far he (and his little birds) would go. he obviously didn't need to kill Pycelle himself, but he judging by his face he took extra satisfaction from it

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I liked it (Ed Sheeran bit aside. Really took me out of the story). It was a round up, where are they now thing but I liked it better than usual for these. I think because I was interested in all the bits (again, apart from Ed. That really did annoy me) and because they are all starting to feel more connected it no longer felt like trying to recap 7 sperate stories