Kiddie Transport

Guest James411

Last year was the first time we took our little girl to glasto, she was 2. For getting her around the festival we had one of the four wheeled carts, this year I was thinking about getting a three wheeled buggie instead as it will be easier getting to and from the tent as it can be folded away and easily carried.

Has anyone used either of these and which one did you find the best?

Interested in this. We took a three wheeler peach jogger with air wheels last year for our 10 month old and got around absolutely fine but wondering whether to get one of the wagons this year. The buggy was so easy in terms of getting around and back to the tent, then we'd drop it at the lock up over night rather than taking a muddy buggy in the tent and you could do the same with a wagon. Wondering whether a wagon might be better for an older/heavier child so interested if anyone has experience of these.

I would also love some advise on this. This year my partner and I will be taking our 20month old daughter with us. I'm currently considering a 3 wheeler push chair, one with bike tiers.

I thought the wagons looked great last year! Although I imagine pulling one of those for 5 solid days could become a bit of a challenge.

We took a garden truck and a 3 wheel buggy last year for our 6 month old. The truck really helped getting all our gear in, then we converted it into a baby carriage. It was great to begin with, but quite heavy. By the Friday we swapped and used the buggy. More manouvrable and lightweight.so definitely better in crowds. Also better for him to sleep in until we got back to our tent.

The cart was really good overall and came in handy on day one getting all our stuff in but as others have said it can become heavy and hard work over the 5 days, especially when getting back to your tent and the only way through is by carrying it.

Our little one loved being in it as well which made it easier when she was tired and wanted a nap.

For those that have used a buggy do they hold up well? The last thing you need is for something to break at the beginning of the festival and be left with nothing.

We had one like this last year and had no problems

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wagon-garden-trolley-child-platform/dp/B007AEFVGC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397065912&sr=8-1&keywords=kids+wagon

Also interested to read other peoples opinions on carts vs buggys. Our little one will be 3 for this years festival(s) and I've wondered about moving to a cart but it's the pulling effort that puts me off.

She's done a lot of festivals in a Maclaren "Mac 3" (was 3rd hand & about 8 years old when we bought it for £15!) . She loves it and will climb in for a bit of chill out time. You can't buy them new now but I've seen them & other similar models pop up regularly on Ebay for under £20. I'd say pnumatic tyres are essential, and def carry a puncture repair kit & pump - we've only once had to do in-festival-repairs but it would have been a disaster if we hadn't had the tools to hand.

Having read the posts above I think we'll stick with it for as long as we can :)

Hi,

Last year we took our two children - 1 yr and 3 yrs. Used a Phil and Ted 3 wheeler buggy. Was fine. Occasionally hard work but alright. Biggest issue was the underneath seat doesn't give much support so when they (finally!) fell asleep they kept on falling to the side - looked pretty uncomfortable but they did sleep whilst being bounced from field to field. We bought two cheapo sleeping bags from Argos, cut holes for the buggy straps, reinforced with gaffa tape, and then could transfer from buggy to campervan - worked well. In reality we didn't move that much and tended to go for the easy options. Also went in 2011 (with just the one child) when there was a fair bit of mud - major workout getting anywhere! But people were always helpful and just took it easy. Also bought one of those 4 wheel garden buggies - didn't take it in the end as when it arrived it was damn heavy - thought the hill of doom might kill me. Asked a few people last year what they thought of bike trailers and most thought they were better than all the other options. Apparently the thin wheels are better for going thru mud (NFC NFR) but never tried myself. Also probably a bit better/easier to pad out and allow them to sleep. Lastly also tried a rucksack carrier - really good for getting about but kid couldn't sleep in it and you can't put the carrier down for them to have a nap in it so had to take the buggy anyhow.

This year I think we'll try a bike trailer but if I don't get round to getting one will use buggy again.

We did have one of the bike trailer things for the last couple of festivals (not Glastonbury but Croissant Neuf) and it was excellent. But our two are getting bigger now so have upgraded to a garden trolley. I'm in the process of trying to work out how to put some kind of frame over it so as to offer sun and rain protection

Think we may take a buggy this year then but also take the cart to help get all our stuff in to the festival, that way we also have a back up should anything go wrong with the buggy. Or the dreaded mud is to bad for the buggy............... Lets hope not

We used a Mothercare Urban Detour (large, thin tyred version) when our Son was 3 and 4 years old....lovely to push and we scraped the mud off easily in 2011.

He now has a bike trailer, equally as easy to push and more storage space for drinks, blankets, coats etc.

We are taking our 6 month old Foster Child to a small festival in May...I picked up a Hauck Viper 3 wheeler off Ebay for £16 and its also an ideal festival pushchair!

Ooh based on some of the comments then, maybe we'll stick with the buggy rather than a wagon. Can anyone give me a link for the bike trailers as not sure what they are?!

Also reiterate mr gumby - definitely leave your wagon/buggy at the lock up at night, no need to drag dirty wheels into the tent!