Weather

matt_berr

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Air is a gaseous fluid that is constantly moving in the earths atmosphere. It is either rising (low pressure) or falling (high pressure). It is one or the other and nothing inbetween, hence no medium pressure

Thanks! Another nodule of fact gleaned from this thread!

Not sure it's the most correct thing though, we do have high and low and medium pressure, but it's the systems that pass over containing higher or lower pressure that make the weather

if everywhere stays at the same pressure then there's no pressure variation to push the weather around, like marbles rolling to a dip in a rubber sheet

it is such a crazy headache. had a great chat with an 80yo fella yesterday all about how he didn't believe in god as the world was so needlessly complicated, he's got a good point.

Not sure it's the most correct thing though, we do have high and low and medium pressure, but it's the systems that pass over containing higher or lower pressure that make the weather

if everywhere stays at the same pressure then there's no pressure variation to push the weather around, like marbles rolling to a dip in a rubber sheet

it is such a crazy headache. had a great chat with an 80yo fella yesterday all about how he didn't believe in god as the world was so needlessly complicated, he's got a good point.

Wow, so the other poster lied to me- I will never trust any message boards ever again!

Wow, so the other poster lied to me- I will never trust any message boards ever again!

Not really, don't think that's fair. You don't get middle pressure systems, but you do get middling pressure - with all these weather charts around it made sense to explain that bit too

Right. And what is wind exactly?

Dammit everyone already made the jokes :(

Wind is air moving from high to low pressure - but because it's not a 2d flat thing but a 3d space the air is moving through it spins and twists rather than going straight from A->B. It's called convection cells - like when you boil something in water on the hob and you can see bits of rice or kitty hair moving around inside the liquid. the air flows around like that which makes it all complicated as the air twists from system to system. nightmarishly complicated when you think about it too much :S

The direction wind takes is due to two things. A pressure gradient between high and low pressure areas, and the coriolis force - an effect caused by the rotation of the earth.

The combination of these effects is why wind flows parallel to the isobars and not perpendicular as you would expect with just a pressure gradient.

BBC says sunshine and showers http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2648559

Metcheck agrees http://m.metcheck.com/UK/7days.asp?zipcode=Glastonbury&locationID=57455&lat=51.1&lon=-2.7&findtype=

weather.com says sunny spells all weekend except for showers on Friday http://uk.weather.com/weather/10day/Glastonbury+SOM+United+Kingdom+UKXX1641:1:UK

and accuweather say showers up until Saturday, dry Sunday

http://uk.weather.com/weather/10day/Glastonbury+SOM+United+Kingdom+UKXX1641:1:UK

In short, prepare for everything!!

Edited by SERRIDGER

Confidence is high that it won't be a wash out.

Today I have made the decision to buy gaitors and leave the wellies at home. The wellies take up a huge amount of space when all you have is a backpack and I'm taking the chance.

That or, when it all turns to shit over the next 4 games, I'll be wearing them on the coach.

the forecast seems to be turning. How bad it will be? who knows. A bit of light rain won't kill us. Hoping 2003 is our template. 2004 wouldn't be too bad but 2007 no thanks. It seems some do not know the golden rule of glasto packing....

ALWAYS BRING WELLIES AND WATERPROOFS

edited to say; don't take any advice to bring them and leave them in the car just in case. I've seen that site turn to shit in a few hours. You could be two miles away from your car, it make much more sense to keep them at your camp

Edited by Swieve

Where's Big Dog? We need his input as he has proven to be the most informative and accurate weather forecaster on these boards. And he can tell us about local ground conditions.

Big a Dog, where are you when we need you?

He's currently snoring in the corner - will give him a nudge later and when it cools later have another wander around and will let you know. For now though it's scorcheeooo

the forecast seems to be turning. How bad it will be? who knows. A bit of light rain won't kill us. Hoping 2003 is our template. 2004 wouldn't be too bad but 2007 no thanks. It seems some do not know the golden rule of glasto packing....

ALWAYS BRING WELLIES AND WATERPROOFS

edited to say; don't take any advice to bring them and leave them in the car just in case. I've seen that site turn to shit in a few hours. You could be two miles away from your car, it make much more sense to keep them at your camp

Does seem that way for the weekend. Most of the week seems to be ok though, so hopefully the forcast for the weekend will change between now and then

Confidence is high that it won't be a wash out.

Today I have made the decision to buy gaitors and leave the wellies at home. The wellies take up a huge amount of space when all you have is a backpack and I'm taking the chance.

That or, when it all turns to shit over the next 4 games, I'll be wearing them on the coach.

I drilled holes in the back of my wellies and used S hook to fix to rucksack or belt. Can also put my spirits in each one.

Wellies at camp here too