Weather

matt_berr

Anyone got any idea how much rain fell during Friday's deluge? A few forecasts mentioned there would be 10mm of rain during the afternoon, for future reference I would like to know what it actually was! I'm guessing it was a lot more, cant seem to find any info online tho

I reckon it was 20mm plus

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better than I feared TBH. Pity there wasn't a day (I didn't get there till Thursday) you could wear trainers but ground held up brilliantly and dried very quickly I thought.

There was a period before the downpour Friday when I thought we might escape with a dry site. I even took my wellies off and that mocking of the weather gods obviously prompted a mental storm.

We definitely did get lucky at times - there was a huge downpour on Sat I could see on the rain radar that missed us by about half a mile.

Mocking of the.....? Wrong thread mate lol

No idea but a few drops fell into me cider and me cider jumped out.... Put hand over the cup... Didn't take long for my hand to be soaked.... Almost had diluted cider...

I don't think I've ever seen rain drops as big as those before... Looked a bit like hail/sleet when landing on my black jacket....

There was 100% definitely hail at some point

There was 100% definitely hail at some point

I think it must have been very recently hail to get so large, we're lucky it had melted or woulda been less fun

I think one of those events and it would have been fine, both was the kicker just enough brief overload to last until Sunday

• 9 months later...

2 months out seems a good time to start the El Nino talk (especially as I'm bored waiting for a delivery man!)

Looks likely we'll have a strong El Nino this summer - http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_advisory/ensodisc.pdf

"there is an approximately 70% chance that El Niño will continue through the Northern Hemisphere summer 2015"

IRCC, a strong El Nino tends to lead to drier and warmer weather in the UK?

Anyone got any idea how much rain fell during Friday's deluge? A few forecasts mentioned there would be 10mm of rain during the afternoon, for future reference I would like to know what it actually was! I'm guessing it was a lot more, cant seem to find any info online tho

No idea but when we arrived back at our tent early saturday morning the whole thing had collapsed from the amount of rain and we had to sleep in wet sleeping bags for the entire weekend!