Weirdest thing you've seen at Glastonbury Festival?

Woffy

...good, bad, daft and throwaway, just plain odd or whatever.

I dunno about you, but i tell friends who have ZERO COMPREHENSION of what Glastonbury is all about the odd little story and they look at me like a fucking nutjob.

But its those insignificant moments when you're casually walking to get an early morning coffee dressed in a Star Wars stormtrooper onesie and someone rides past you on a unicycle, playing a ukelele and a mouth organ and you nod a polite, unspoken 'good morning' that make it special for me.

You?

Dead simple although it was years ago - has to be well over 30 years but cant lock down the year. { so somewhere in the 80's }
For a kick off the site was a lot different then so God knows where - anyway my Mates and I were wandering about late at night and we came close to the Samaritans Tent
- at that time there was a tent and a few straw bails outside.
There was one guy chatting to another but they kept grabbing each others arm and both saying ' but your supposed to listen to me '
What I think happened was that Punter A had sat down and soon after Punter B sat down and each thought the other was the Samaritan but it was clear to us they were just two very stoned Punters- it was very late and I could not see anyone inside the Samaritan tent.
It completely cracked us up and had to be the funniest thing I have seen at Glasto in any year .
They both appeared happy to speak to each other but clearly they would be a lot happier if the other listened.
It really cracked us and we ended up in tears.
We walked past them and went into the Reggae Tent { hence how I can work out the rough year as I know they were not about a few years later } and once we could not breath any longer { you have to have been in the Reggae Tent to know you did not need to buy anything } we left but the two Punters had gone - still could not see anyone official in the Samaritan Tent so cant say what happened to them .
I think the tent was not open 24 hours per day at that time

Dead simple although it was years ago - has to be well over 30 years but cant lock down the year. { so somewhere in the 80's }

For a kick off the site was a lot different then so God knows where - anyway my Mates and I were wandering about late at night and we came close to the Samaritans Tent

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/glastonbury/info-samaritans.shtml

- at that time there was a tent and a few straw bails outside.

There was one guy chatting to another but they kept grabbing each others arm and both saying ' but your supposed to listen to me '

What I think happened was that Punter A had sat down and soon after Punter B sat down and each thought the other was the Samaritan but it was clear to us they were just two very stoned Punters- it was very late and I could not see anyone inside the Samaritan tent.

It completely cracked us up and had to be the funniest thing I have seen at Glasto in any year .

They both appeared happy to speak to each other but clearly they would be a lot happier if the other listened.

It really cracked us and we ended up in tears.

We walked past them and went into the Reggae Tent { hence how I can work out the rough year as I know they were not about a few years later } and once we could not breath any longer { you have to have been in the Reggae Tent to know you did not need to buy anything } we left but the two Punters had gone - still could not see anyone official in the Samaritan Tent so cant say what happened to them .

I think the tent was not open 24 hours per day at that time

Love this!!!!

And the cardboard structure ladt year was amazing. I had an action on me at work to give a toolbox talk about 'Safety in your hobbies or interests'.

I chose Glasto and showed photos of the cardboatd tor. People were dumbstruck. At that and how many children were there too.

Cheers guys. If this thread gets a few reslonses i'm gonna print it and take it to work.

After they'd had an animated chat, I saw a completely stoned fella give a copper a big hug and a kiss on his cheek in West Holts a couple of years ago.

Copper hugged him back, but no kiss in return. Still nice though.

Ah! No! Is thay better? I'm in Holland at the mo and so using the app on my phone for the first time.

Think i'm quoting then adding a reply underneath.

The reply doesn't seem to show, smart phones are a sod to use.

It does. He means he quotes in one post. Then the next phone down is his reply.

Can't be doing with people using their phones if they can't do it properly..................................

Now, now! Think i've sussed it...

2009 walking through greenfields in the sun on the saturday just soaking all that was going on and this beautiful woman approached me and said

"Feed my hedgehog and I will sing for you"

After a moments confusion I see she is carrying a hedgehog soft toy in one hand and a bowl of assorted buttons and was then encouraged to feed this toy one of the buttons.

So I duly obliged in the spirit of things and the woman sang beautifully for me (I have to add her eyes were amazing). When she finished I thanked her got a kiss on my cheek for giving her a moment of my time then like a wisp she was off to brighten someone elses day.

Edited by toppo

The oddest thing (I think, that I can remember) I was happily sat waiting in The Stone Circle for people to arrive, lying down, taking in the sun. When a paniced guy asked me if I saw mushrooms following him, I laughed and said no. He sat down, obviously scared to death, saying that he thinks he has taken to many drugs and is seeing people and vegetables following him. I gave him a bottle of water and some of my snacks to see if that helped, he seemed to calm down. 20 minutes of him relaxing, he throws the water down and runs off shouting "Go away"

15 minutes later (after friends had arrived) a girl was walking around asking if anyone had seen a pancied guy thinking he was being chased. I explained to her what happened, she said "oh shit" and run off in the same direction...

I have no idea if it was a joke played on me or if the guy was alright in the end. But it amused everyone for a while!

Oh and during Arctic Monkeys last year, 3 guys standing in a line:

Middle guy: "I've just shit myself"

Other guy:"No you haven't"
Middle guy: "Have a feel, I have, I knew this would happen"
Other guy: "Alright, alright, I will have a feel"
Other guy: "Eww, that's awful"

This was then followed by the middle guy have an awful brown stain on his shorts and leaving the crowd as if he was Jesus parting water.

...good, bad, daft and throwaway, just plain odd or whatever.

I dunno about you, but i tell friends who have ZERO COMPREHENSION of what Glastonbury is all about the odd little story and they look at me like a fucking nutjob.

THIS!!! I remember after my first Glasto in 2007 trying to explain to someone that we'd stumbled on a human jukebox and spent ages requesting songs and doing squelchy mud dancing. It's always the unexpected things that stick with you and that's one of the reasons it's such a magical place.

(edit - 2007 not 2011!)

107_512008479355_3442_n.jpg

Edited by purplehelen44

I was taking the piss out of myself mate. You will see the subliminal messages at the bottom of my posts when I'm on the phone!

Scruffy's odd phone messages are legendary, and often strangely pointed.

Oh and during Arctic Monkeys last year, 3 guys standing in a line:

Middle guy: "I've just shit myself"

Other guy:"No you haven't"

Middle guy: "Have a feel, I have, I knew this would happen"

Other guy: "Alright, alright, I will have a feel"

Other guy: "Eww, that's awful"

This was then followed by the middle guy have an awful brown stain on his shorts and leaving the crowd as if he was Jesus parting water.

That's friendship for you.... I think.

Saying that, if one of my mates told me that he'd shat himself, I'd be inclined to believe him, and just suggest he might want to go and clean himself up, and put some new trousers on, rather than getting my hands covered in it as proof. :bad:

Edited by Greenelk

We walked past them and went into the Reggae Tent { hence how I can work out the rough year as I know they were not about a few years later } and once we could not breath any longer { you have to have been in the Reggae Tent to know you did not need to buy anything }

I have very fond memories of that tent

I remember watching Plastikman on the dance stage in 95 and there was some crusty dancing and entertaining everyone at the back of the crowd by quickly setting light to parts of himself (prob his clothing) then putting it out.

Then he did an overly dramatic 'shhhhhh' gesture and sneakily briefly lit the clothing of the guy in front of him and put it out. I remember this all as having been very funny at the time, but now I type it it seems rather dangerous!

Also, in 94, I was walking to the Other to see Bjork and there was a section that had been cordoned off by the entrance. Later transpired that some drug dealer had just been shot. I think it's fair to say that the festival has changed a bit!