Radio 1's Big Weekend 2014, Glasgow

Guest Zac Quinn

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a cracking weekend. Absolutely brilliant.

Friday night was a great way to kick off things. The extent of searches on the way in was pretty unnecessary if you ask me. I thought Danny Howard was pretty good (but then he kept playing the same set throughout the weekend when DJing on the main stage). Annie Mac and Zane Lowe were cracking too. I think Pete Tong lost the crowd a little bit to be honest but the atmosphere during Martin Garrix's set more than made up for it. Then Tiesto's set was just outstanding. Great crowd, great atmosphere, great night.

Started Saturday early with One Direction. I thought they were cracking. Showed that they can sing live, they can hold a festival crowd and that they can put on one heck of a show. Brilliant.

We then went to see Lorde. Very strange. I just didn't get it. She was dancing like she was having some sort of fit while groaning down a microphone. We left after a few songs. Odd.

Bastille really surprised me actually. They proper got the crowd going. Really tight live act too.

I think Pharrell lost the crowd a little bit during his set. But he got them back on side when the crowd erupted in a way they hadn't done all day when he started doing 'Blurred Lines'. What a triple header to close with - Blurred Lines, Get Lucky and Happy. Cracking.

Lily Allen was my highlight of the weekend. Her new album is great and she showcased it fantastically. Really surprised by how good she was. She was one of those acts I was keen to see but nobody else I was with was but she won all of them over too.

I think Ed Sheeran was a little lost too with just his acoustic guitar on the big stage. If he'd had a band, I think it would've worked better but by the time he got his loop pedal sorted for each song, the crowd had lost interest. Spotted Chris Martin and Rita Ora loving it at the side of the stage though.

Calvin Harris was cracking. Maybe not as good as Tiesto the night before mind you. It is just the same set he's been playing for the last few years but he knows how to please a crowd.

Coldplay were just outstanding, as is to be expected. Great setlist full of classics (more so than I thought they would have) but also stuff from their new album too which went down well. Proved why they're one of the best bands in the world.

I'll post stuff about Sunday later.

Fantastic weekend !

friday although i'm not big into dance music was brilliant.

highlights being tiesto and annie mac.

saturday was decent.

got i late so missed one direction. heard both them and the kooks though walking past.

lorde was a must see for me and i think she delivered.

pharell again was a must see for me. thought he was brilliant for the second bit of his set, bit lost the first half.

i feel that jake buggs got too big too fast and doesnt look right on such a big stage. dont think he should be subbing festivals this year.

saw lilly allen while waiting on food but felt a bit meh.

darlia in the into tent were cracking. great sound about them

ed sheeran in the sun, with dinner lying down was decent. like the whole loop pedal aspect to his live show.

calvin harris into example was amazing! bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce!

calmed down by coldplay who i thought were pretty good considering i hardly listen to them. cracking light show.

sunday started early and was fantastic!

might have been chucking it down but kings of leon were good, didnt feel the crowd was where i was standing though. did anyone else think chris martin coming on was just for photos. didnt sing much and seemed to have an unplugged guitar. great nonetheless.

was pleasantly surprised by the vamps who i had never heard of (only knew of them as a poor mans one direction).

floated about before royal blood who for me were one of the highlights of a great weekend. had been listening to them for a while but live. WOW. theyre gonna be huge!

then onto the klaxons who were a real great throwback into my childhood. brilliant gold suit too.

then seen the 1975 and tinie tempah. both of which just because i was with a group wanting to see them both. 1975 were ok i thought but really enjoyed tinie tempah.

we then went to sub focus who i'd have never heard of but pretty decent for a bit of a jump around. cracking light show too.

then kasabian (band of the weekend for me to see) they were great but nowhere near kilmarnock on tuesday ! was sad to see 2 fights breaking out where i was within like 2 minutes of each other. one of them was a proper scrap with two guys as well.

decided to go to katy perry purely on the fact that it was free.

i'm man enough to admit. she was brilliant. only one song i didnt know, lots of singalongs and i dont know where people get that shes bad live ... great.

overall a quality weekend, really enjoyed it.

would be decent to have that every year.

top 5 of the weekend. (no particular order) (and very surprising coming from a huge rock fan)

Calvin harris

example

katy perry

royal blood

tiesto