Lowlands 2014

Guest amfest12

didn't see anything on this one..

15-17/8 Netherlands

the lineup so far includes: Queens of the Stone Age, Portishead, The National, Skrillex, London Grammer, Bring me the Horizon, Die Antwoord and more...

the lineup is ok but still not that exciting for me and hope to see some other good rock names on the next announcement

never been there but I remember a good lineup last year so I would like to hear from people who been there how is the festival?

how many names there are still to come? do you think that all headliners were already announced?

anything else on the festival will be helpful as well

tnx

Edited by amfest12

Never been myself because it usually sells out very quickly (not this year though), but I've read/seen a lot about it since I live in the Netherlands. It's comparable to the Belgian Pukkelpop, with less big names but more decorations and non-music activities (usually comedy, films, dance, theatre, tai chi, poetry, writing discussions or even politics happen during the early afternoon - they had Neil Gaiman on last year). It tries to be a little more purposefully confusing/overwhelming and there's an emphasis on spontaneous things, or so I've heard. I always get the feeling they aim for more of a 'complete experience' with lots of stuff to do, rather than just a succession of bands playing.

Music-wise, they never aim for lots of huge headliners. Foo Fighters were considered a rarity, and I think they're set for headliners with QOTSA, National, Skrillex this year. They have a second tent (either the Grolsch or the Bravo) which also has a few big names, I expect Portishead will close that tent on one day, and maybe they'll book Röyksopp & Robyn, The Kooks or Vampire Weekend for the other days. Oh yeah there's no open air stage since it can rain a lot here, their mainstage is a massive tent called the Alpha which is the size of about a football pitch.
Most of the 8-10 stages are named after the NATO alphabet - Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Lima, X-Ray, etc. Alpha will get the big names like Imagine Dragons and Die Antwoord; the X-Ray is their experimental electronic/dance tent, and so on. At night a few of them change into electronic music, there's usually a minimal/techno rave in one, and then a 90ies house party in another, etc.

But yeah, in general they mostly book lots of smaller/niche artists with a few big ones in the afternoon/evening, and the nights are filled with electronic music; oh and there's a 24-hours tent on the camping (don't camp next to it if you want to sleep!). Expect around 200 acts in total. Few more things: Lowlands doesn't book a lot of (big) hiphop (though Kendrick Lamar was the talk of the year in 2013), pretty sure there's just one huge camping, it's right next to the Walibi amusement park.
EDIT: Also not a lot of metal names, generally. Every year they get a few, like bullet for my valentine, or Slayer in 2012 and this year Bring me the Horizon. There will be a few more, but probably nothing huge and certainly not enough to fill a stage for the entire weekend.

Edited by Snorefest

• 4 months later...