Your first time....

Guest TheJackson

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first time was in 1993. I was with two really good friends and we had a great time. First night I had some hash cookies which tripped me right out (was great!), saw loads of bands and weird and fantastic things, experienced social nudity for the first time (and have never looked back on that one!) up in the Healing Fields, found an 8th of doobie at the other stage and remained high and happy for the whole festival.

I've been to every Glastonbury since (do not have a ticket yet for this years so maybe my streak has run out!) and have to say, Glastonbury Festival has played a large part in making me who I am today.

TheJackson, you are going to love it!!

The sheer size of Glastonbury just amazed me - and the fact that so much effort and imagination had gone into building something physically temporary but permanent for peoples memories

Those 5 days literally changed my life, and the way I view summers. For me it was finally a sense of feeling like I was home, surrounded by like minded people - no-one judging anyone - and I just remember afterwards wishing the real world outside the superfence was exactly the same. I've always lived my life by the mantra of not judging and accepting anyone and everyone and wishing and wondering why no-one did the same, and I finally found somewhere where it seemed that people felt the same .....wonderland for adults !

Enjoy every single moment - try not to get overwhelmed and absorb every experience

Those 5 days literally changed my life, and the way I view summers. For me it was finally a sense of feeling like I was home, surrounded by like minded people - no-one judging anyone - and I just remember afterwards wishing the real world outside the superfence was exactly the same.

Edited by Hyphenated

Mine was only last year so I remember it quite well (unfortunately don't drink or partake in any other kind of substance ;) ).

Felt great when I got there, got set up in the Pylon fields as planned - then messed up the setting up of my tent. Put the poles straight into the ground which filled them with mud and therefore didn't let me put the hooks in when I realized. Consequently my tent flooded that night ruining a lot of my clothes and putting me in a miserable mood. Then realized I forgot toilet paper and there wasn't any in the toilets and had to buy wellies when it started raining and altogether was a bit negative the majority of the time from then on - made worse by some kind of eye problem I had, my eyes were sore for the three days of music to the point I was basically tearing up every day.

That said, had some great times. Watching Frightened Rabbit and seeing the mass of flags in the tent and happening upon a group of fans whilst watching them was special, had a huge smile on my face for that. Seeing Alt-J in Williams Green completely unexpectedly on the Thursday was brilliant. Bit that made it all worth it and the reason I'm so excited to be coming back was the Sunday. Went to wait with all the other hopefuls for a magical 'secret' set up at the Park. That failed to materialize and I stayed for a chat with a few who also had on interest in any of the other acts on at the time - after that I went up the hill and sat watching the whole thing unfold. Not much like it is there? It was pretty much deserted up there and everything was in full flow down below, it's amazing. Maybe it was just the exhaustion or something but words can't describe how awestruck I was.

I remember just being amazed by the size of it, and the freedom you have compared to any other festival. Having only been to Reading and V before, it's really just worlds apart. You can walk around for hours and not see half of it, and there's things to see everywhere, stalls, performers, bars, food stalls (and I mean real food that smells of things other than frying). Get up the hill and look around, walk down anywhere that looks interesting, follow your ears and nose as well as your eyes.

I broke my wrist the first year I went, still had a fantastic time and have been back every year since.

Edited to say: Don't try to do everything your first year, just promise yourself you'll be back, you can stress yourself out if start thinking "oh God, I've still not been to the Rabbit-hole or the Crows Nest or the Acoustic Stage or the Bimble Inn or the..."

Edited by tommyds

As this year will be my first ever Glastonbury, I thought it would be interesting to see what people's fondest memories are from their first ever time going to the festival.

So, what can you recall from your first time?!