Beck

The 38 year old virgin

Was not far behind the second barrier for him. Thought he was brilliant to be fair. Have seen him twice at festivals before and don't remember enjoying him as much as I did this time. The crowd seemed fine to me whilst watching (guess I must have just been stood in a pocket of actual fans), getting out though was a nightmare. Almost nobody moved when he finished, clearly all waiting for Coldplay.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's weird that Tame Impala managed so well on before Adele the night before yet Beck struggled before Coldplay. only explanation i can think of is that Tame Impala are current and Beck's biggest hits are 20 years old now - guess it really shows up the demographic of the festival and their unwillingness to delve in to older/unfamiliar music (i'd never go see an act - even if i was just seeing them to get a space for the act after them - and not at least attempt to explore their music somewhat)

in hindsight Pyramid sub is the worst place they could've put him - third down, Other sub, JP headliner, even WH headliner all would've been far more appropriate slots and more guaranteed him a crowd of people wanting to be there rather than waiting for the following act

The camera should have just been on me. I was singing along.

Someone asked me "who he was". at one point.

I was having a right moan about the crowd as I left. A girl and her boyfriend agreed with me. Getting away from there was murder too. No one was leaving, I'd endured Ellie Golding from the Mandela Bar and got in the pit during the changeover.

I wish he'd headlined the Park / WH.

I have always hated Coldplay. No way I was staying around there. Number 2 on my annoyance list is Ed Sheeran.

I can't wait til net year!

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

7 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Number 2 on my annoyance list is Ed Sheeran.

I can't wait til net year!

at least you can always guarantee with the more pop acts that they'll do a good job of sticking something a bit more left field on Other/the rest of the stages. not sure how realistic it is but i'm certainly hoping for something like Nine Inch Nails to grace the Other when Sheeran is on

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

at least you can always guarantee with the more pop acts that they'll do a good job of sticking something a bit more left field on Other/the rest of the stages. not sure how realistic it is but i'm certainly hoping for something like Nine Inch Nails to grace the Other when Sheeran is on

Royal Blood could well be other stage headliners next year. (If they have an album out)

Trying to think of a "dance" headliner for the Other stage as they always seem to have one.

Beck could have been a pefect alternative to Sheeran too! Fucking coldplay. BASTARDS

I was in the front pit and I had trouble leaving as well as 99% of people stayed were they were. I was on my own and there was a group of like 5 of us trying to escape when someone shouted to us "where are you lot going, don't you know Coldplay are on next?"

So I said back "yeah I know, that's why we're leaving, they're fucking shit". I got quite a few nasty glares

7 minutes ago, jonodillieono said:

I was in the front pit and I had trouble leaving as well as 99% of people stayed were they were. I was on my own and there was a group of like 5 of us trying to escape when someone shouted to us "where are you lot going, don't you know Coldplay are on next?"

So I said back "yeah I know, that's why we're leaving, they're fucking shit". I got quite a few nasty glares

me and my friend said a similar thing, that crush to get out was really annoying.

I was actually happy to stay for Coldplay but I was there early for Beck too. I couldn't believe how few people knew the words - I wouldn't claim to be a die hard Beck fan but i was singing along to most of it and left an even bigger fan.

Shame the rest of the crowd didn't have a clue. Class set.

Another vote for BECK from me too.  

One of my highlights this year, thought he was absolutely magic.  I have been meaning to get to know more about him for many years. I recognised his hits but will certainly look into his other stuff now.  Extremely talented musician, and yes it was funny to see the bemused faces of those as we left our ace viewing spot straight after his act.  

6 hours ago, jonodillieono said:

Yeah it was the one set I was seeing on my own so I thought I might as well get as close as possible to get were I thought the more hardcore Beck fans would be. big mistake, wish I stayed further back

Tried to get in the front barriers but none of those fuckers were moving ended up in the second bit, was on my own too but was a small group singing and dancing. Thought the set was fantastic, been a fan for years and seen him quite a few times but really only festivals in last few years. When he starts I always forget how much I like him and how good the tunes are. Had exactly the same experience trying to get out though, did say quite loudly that thought Coldplay were shite. Just watched the highlights on BBC2 and the bored faces at the front, bloody hell poor Beck. Fuck Coldplay.

30 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I find coldplay completely contrived. Watched 3/4 tunes, but Giving out wristbands, the "everyobe crouch down"  yes it looks good, but there is no authenticity in it.

That crouching down started 10/12 years ago at DC10 in Ibiza. I found it w*nk then and w*nk now 

To me the crouching belongs to the Hives, and Chris Martin is no Pelle Almqvist!

I watched one of the songs on the highlights and, while I like LED wristband effect for the show, I actually found them quite sinister when people were walking about with them later on. We went up the Ribbon Tower and you could see these little ants with their wristbands changing colour in unison, like they'd been tagged with fluorescent powder to monitor the colony. It was like you could track them, all felt a bit 1984 to me.......

15 hours ago, Bonneville88 said:

I was actually happy to stay for Coldplay but I was there early for Beck too. I couldn't believe how few people knew the words - I wouldn't claim to be a die hard Beck fan but i was singing along to most of it and left an even bigger fan.

Shame the rest of the crowd didn't have a clue. Class set.

Had this concern for Tame Impala before Adele but thankfully it paid off. Had a feeling Beck before Coldplay was never going to work so I didn't bother watching as much as I wanted to. 

Went to Craig David instead and not ashamed to say I had a great time!

• 1 year later...