Beck

The 38 year old virgin

A friend was at the front, said it was dreadful. No one around him was getting into it. I was just behind the 2nd barrier, maybe 40 or so yards from my friend, and while you could tell the crowd generally wasn't great, around me it was fantastic. Brilliant group, all obviously massive fans, much bigger fans than me tbh, all really into it and all left after he finished.

Glad i got my trajectory wrong when trying to reach him and got stuck behind the barrier, cos I had a much better time than my friend did

Edited by philipsteak

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Beck might have been so disappointed because as he said, he had played with Chic the night before and Nile Rogers has said that when he played Glastonbury it was the best crowd he had ever played for... Can't blame Beck and the band for expecting more enthusiasm really. 

Thought that Beck was the best artist (apart from LCD) I saw all weekend. An absolute delight.

I said to a mate, that he couldn't have played a better set list if I had picked it myself and to hear him do Lost Cause made it even more special 

Beck was probably my highlight of the weekend but agree with all the previous comments about the crowd. We were just by the barrier outside the pit and all anybody was there was to get a good spot for Coldplay. The crush and the pushing was actually quite scary at times

Crowd was awful but he was amazing. The crush after he finished was annoying, posted in another thread but a woman shouted at me and my mate for pushing , when we weren't, it was the other way round and we just wanted out if here to catch the end of PJ but couldn't move because of Coldplay fans not letting us out.

Totally agree on the lacklustre crowd. I was fairly close to the front but out by the right hand screen so I could make a quick getaway for LCD  and nobody seemed to have any idea of who he was. I enjoyed myself though, great setlist.  

Could definitely feel that he was getting a bit frustrated with the lack of crowd response. 

Beck said that he played with Chic the night before and in 2013 Nile Rogers had said that Glastonbury was the best crowd he'd ever played for. Doesn't take too much of a leap of the imagination to imagine that they would have bigged up the Glastonbury crowd so Beck probably felt a little underwhelmed, which is sad really.

Shame to hear about the lack of crowd response. I'd expected something similar for Tame Impala but found the crowd atmosphere surprisingly positive for much of their set - if a bit lacking for some of the more obscure older stuff. I'd have thought Beck would get more of a reaction but maybe I was wrong. Really should have been third down with Ellie subbing though, think it would've worked out better for everyone.

22 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Shame to hear about the lack of crowd response. I'd expected something similar for Tame Impala but found the crowd atmosphere surprisingly positive for much of their set - if a bit lacking for some of the more obscure older stuff. I'd have thought Beck would get more of a reaction but maybe I was wrong. Really should have been third down with Ellie subbing though, think it would've worked out better for everyone.

only problem with that is that his set already seemed awfully short. sheering 15 minutes off would've been a bit crap (although i guess he could've cut a couple of Guero album tracks off and stuck to just the hits)

hope i get to see him again at some point. the cameras panning to the crowd and seeing people looking bored, talking to each other and not singing a single word was saddening. fucking Coldplay fans

Agree with the above I thought he was great and a great set list but I was down in the pit about 2 rows in from the rear barrier and the crowd were awful, just spent the whole time with people pushing and shoving to get in for coldplay only my small group and one guy behind me seemed to know any of the songs, the crushing got a bit out of hand as well and after thinking I was going to die the night before at Shangri la stuck in mud and crowds trying to get out of the hell stage when Mark Ronson came on, made a decision to try and get out just before "Where its At" - asked the young lad in front of me if I could get past to escape and he looked at me with that pity that is only reserved in the young for women who are pushing middle age and said "Never mind love you gave it a good go to be here for Coldplay" he looked astonished when I told him I wasn't there for Colplay I had only gone down there to see Beck

Was right behind the pit barrier, was quite lucky as was in a position where there was a pocket of Beck fans from different friendship groups singing/dancing and made exiting as a group easier as we all left to LCD/EWF, but looking everywhere around us you could tell people were just here for Coldplay

I also thought Beck was fantastic but the crowd was a joke. They didn't give a toss about even giving him a chance and most people weren't even arsed clapping at the end of songs. It really bothered me more than it should have.

It was my first Glastonbury and now I know what people mean about the pyramid, most stuff I saw there was a little disappointing mainly because of the crowds. Went to LCD after Beck and managed to get right up close to the front and had an amazing time on my own.