Beck

The 38 year old virgin

As Glastonbury Sunday nights go, I think Beck > bit of Grimes > LCD Soundsystem is the winner, despite stiff (fnarr) competition from Smashing Pumpkins > Bobby Womack > Steve Mason, St Vincent > Massive Attack and Belle & Sebastian > FKA Twigs > Flying Lotus. Sunday night always delivers.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Wondered how you'd missed nick cave that you mentioned in other thread. Presumed you weren't at glastonbury that year. 

Nick cave into Bobby w is probably my best closer ever. 

Yeah I was there in 2013, have you forgotten frequently admonishing me for missing Portishead since? Don't regret seeing Pumpkins because they were fucking great, and I've been a fan since I was about 13, was only recently into Nick Cave at that point. Missing Nick Cave was a real bastard though.

Do you reckon if I see Beck instead of PJ there's a chance I could still get a good spot for LCD? I'm a big fan of both but thanks to your suggestions I'm getting more and more into Beck, but LCD is my top highlight for the weekend and I want to be right in the thick of it for them. Decisions decisions!

3 minutes ago, Johnkhutch said:

Do you reckon if I see Beck instead of PJ there's a chance I could still get a good spot for LCD? I'm a big fan of both but thanks to your suggestions I'm getting more and more into Beck, but LCD is my top highlight for the weekend and I want to be right in the thick of it for them. Decisions decisions!

I'm planning on doing both, possibly even with Mac DeMarco in between. You should be fine! LCD aren't gonna pull THAT big of a crowd I wouldn't have thought. I'll be getting a decent spot if it's the last thing I do

1 minute ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Leaning towards Beck based on these setlists...

Yeah I don't even feel bad about missing PJ now. Those couple of songs aside the setlist definitely isn't a must see unlike, imo, Becks. I'm sure she'll still be great, but I know I'll enjoy Beck far more

12 minutes ago, Johnkhutch said:

Easily, there's very few bands that you'll have no choice but to see the one before if you want to get a good spot. Don't think there's at all on the line-up this year. The only one that could have big crowds and no churn would be Bastille into Disclosure, but Muse being on the Pyramid will be a big pull for a lot of their fanbase, and a generally very strong top of the bill on Friday means nobody's going to be overflowing that night.

42 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

As Glastonbury Sunday nights go, I think Beck > bit of Grimes > LCD Soundsystem is the winner, despite stiff (fnarr) competition from Smashing Pumpkins > Bobby Womack > Steve Mason, St Vincent > Massive Attack and Belle & Sebastian > FKA Twigs > Flying Lotus. Sunday night always delivers.

Goes to show. To me Sunday is again thr weak night. .. apart from Beck. (Who is a must see). Im gutted he isnt headlining a stage.

I ended up at Kasabian in 2014 because there wasnt anything else I fancied, last year I saw the Chems as nothing else appealled.

This year I have options after Beck, but nothing to say - "Yes!!" Im thinking Cyndi Lauper tbh.

i have a soft spot for Guero (I so wish he'd come onto Pyramid and open up with E-Pro...would be fantastic) and happy to see it so heavily featured. looking at the PJ Harvey setlist, though i feel comfortable seeing a bit more of Beck, would love to catch Que Onda Guero and then head over and i'll comfortable get the Let England Shake run-through 6 songs in...shame about her new record isn't it, and you know she's not going to give two hoots about the audience as is just going to play it. I would never normally cut out on any PJ Harvey gig, but I'll see her in a few months after and I've never actually seen Beck.

5 minutes ago, Glastoboy said:

I'd say very strong headliner though. They were fecking awesome.

Yes, Im a big fan - but Id seen them 5 times before including headlining the other stage in 2011. I wanted something more unique.

This year Lauper / EWF / Arcadia or Dubfire will win, depending on my mood (or ability to move)

I think I'm going with most people on this thread with Beck over PJ. I listen to a lot more PJ than Beck but it's mostly the older stuff. I don't dislike her new album but watching her play it all with just a couple of old ones thrown in whilst Beck is playing all his hits on the pyramid isn't right. I generally start to flag from 7 onwards on the Sunday so Beck blasting out the hits will be a good pick me up. Will also give me time for some food and a few brothers before LCD

1 minute ago, LeeGalvin said:

Loving that setlist! Something like that at Glastonbury would be very welcome.

I really wish he'd start playing Cellphone's Dead again though. So underrated!

The Information as a whole is majorly underrated, but yeah, had the album on today and Cellphone's Dead is such a banger. think that may have been the song that spurred my interest in Beck after seeing it's video on MTV2 or something

13 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

weird that Guero is the most highly represented album on his setlists, but i'll stick with that! although thought he wouldv'e started playing his new song by now

He didn't give Dreams a runout until August despite it dropping before BST and Kilmainham. Quite possible Wow won't feature on the Pyramid.

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

He didn't give Dreams a runout until August despite it dropping before BST and Kilmainham. Quite possible Wow won't feature on the Pyramid.

ah wasn't aware of that. not too fussed either way as it obviously means another song gets dropped and i like the setlist as is

have been giving Guero more of a listen as it's probably my least played Beck album and despite a lot of it sounding like a blatant attempt at recreating Odelay the songs he's playing from it live are fantastic. E-Pro, Girl and Hell Yes especially are gonna be ace live

7 hours ago, Johnkhutch said:

As has been said I can't see this causing you any difficulties at all. Planning on Beck then to the Glade for a bit of Henry Saiz before LCD myself.