green man announcement.

Guest wolfamongwolves

Announced today

Bill Callahan

Caribou

Real Estate

Mac Demarco

East India youth

I really had high hopes for Real Estate and Caribou playing eotr this year. Not sure that will happen now. Gutted. I would have been very happy with any of the above playing.

The green man line up this year is looking absolutely fantastic.

I do love eotr. And on that I bought a early bird. But I have to agree with dirtycash The green man line up looks so much more exiting than ours. So many bands playing eotr which have already played . It would be nice to see bands that have not played the festival before. To keep it fresh and exiting.

Edited by wolfamongwolves

All a matter of taste, we were thinking of giving Green Man a try this year before settling for the easy option of EOTR again (20 miles down the road!). Glad we did as much prefer the EOTR line up and am not even that bothered what other headliners are announced.

For me personally Greenman have booked the top two artists from my EOTR wish list.

I've only ever been to one Green Man fest before and although I enjoyed it a lot I've always opted for EOTR (apart from in 2009 and 2013) based on the overall quality of the line up.

Also in the past I always thought EOTR felt more intimate, especially from a main stage POV, that was of course Pre-Woods stage. As that's sadly no longer the case I'm going to give Green Man another go because it has more acts that I want to see live (and that of course includes the likes of William Tyler and Angel Olsen who played EOTR last year and I therefore missed).

In no particular order...

Bill Callahan.

Sharon Van Etten.

The Magnetic Fields.

The Shins.

Arbouretum.

Destroyer.

Balmorhea.

Diamond Rugs

Shovels & Rope.

Fruit Bats.

Dave Rawlings Machine.

Lower Dens.

The Weather Station.

I don't think any of them have played before.

GM's attractions to me that are a 'bit unique' are NMH, Caribou and Hamilton Leithauser. also recognise Bill Callaghan will be a draw to many. the rest you can see anywhere if you try (and i'm a big fan of SVE and Kurt Vile). when you get to the undercard (so far) EOTR wins for me, as GM is basically May's list of bands at the Portland Arms.

plus you know it won't piss down at EOTR.

i mean, c'mon with the EOTR undercard: Ezra Furman, BSP,White Denim, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Houndstooth, Hookworms, St Paul, Peggy Sue, Stealing Sheep, Wave Pictures, Hookworms, Wytches?? wtf its superb. lets get away from the idea that EOTR is twangy middling Americana. well done Simon et al.

BSP played numerous times

White denim played before

Wave pictures played before

Don't get me wrong I like these bands . I love wild beasts but I would still prefer to see an artist who has not played. If its an artist who has not played for five years plus I can understand it. But some of these repeats are what I would consider recent.

I know its a personal thing, and obviously the repeats don't bother a lot of folk.

The trouble is, EOTR and Green Man have both championed a lot of great British Bands from their early days, and some of them are now reaching headline status. I could understand a bit of disappointment if Wild Beasts had headlined a couple of years back, I could understand the disappointment but I see this as a real celebration. They are deserved of their headline status, and where better than at EOTR?

Wave Pictures and BSP haven't played since 2008. White Denim a bit more recently in 2011. There's only a handful that played in the past couple of years.

Not knocking the Green Man line-up. It is strong, but I think EOTR is equally as strong and has the plus of not having NMH!

The trouble is, EOTR and Green Man have both championed a lot of great British Bands from their early days, and some of them are now reaching headline status. I could understand a bit of disappointment if Wild Beasts had headlined a couple of years back, I could understand the disappointment but I see this as a real celebration. They are deserved of their headline status, and where better than at EOTR?

Wave Pictures and BSP haven't played since 2008. White Denim a bit more recently in 2011. There's only a handful that played in the past couple of years.

Not knocking the Green Man line-up. It is strong, but I think EOTR is equally as strong and has the plus of not having NMH!

• 3 weeks later...

Ahh those were the days.

Steve Earle, Magnolia Electric Co, Felice Brothers, Wilco, Phosporescent, Iron and Wine to name but a few. I love a bit of twangy Americana. Shame. All the twang's gone to the Green Man.

Neutral Milk Hotel, Bill Callahan, SVE, Real Estate and Angel Olsen is an AMAZING line-up. I'm seriously jealous of those who are going to the GM this year. And I'm honestly underwhelmed by EOTR. Going to give it a miss for the first time in six years :( V sad.

If I look at the list of who is playing at the EOTR, I've seen 7 out of the first 10 bands already... at the EOTR. I'm just a bit puzzled why the bookers have done that. It feels a bit safe and a bit boring to be honest.

be very interesting to see how today's announcement adjusts or changes the 'tone' of the lineup. if at all.

i am very very happy with the eotr lineup as is, but would definitely accept that its very much more indie than twangy right now.

i did also love seeing Wilco, Matt Houck, Felice Brothers (tipi late set anyone?) at eotr, but also think there is huge quality in this year's current lineup and no shortage of 'new to eotr' artists on the bill (did I mention Flaming Lips were playing?).

each to their own i guess, and good that there are different opinions.