Jon Hopkins

ThomThomDrum

Anyone have any info if he will play somewhere on site this year?

I would very much love to check him out and Glasto could be a perfect back drop. Few friends of mine are in Berlin at the mo to check him out this week and Im very jealous of that..........

He was the only album of top top quality on the Mercury list IMO this year. (Not that that actually means anything)

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry i know you put IMO but. David Bowie , James Blake , Savages , Foals , Disclosure, last years wonderful headliners arctic monkeys and laura marling were up for the mercury prize amongst others. (Imagine that for a friday pyramid line up)

Like Jon H stick him in block 9

I know Mr Hopkins was not the only act up for that prize. You seem to be focusing on my opinion that his album was the "only top top album on the list". Thats not to say that others on the list were not good. Some of the acts you mentioned had good albums, others pants........Hopkins IMO, and to my particular taste, was the only album that was actually "top" class

Edited by ThomThomDrum

The Hopkins record is ace - lovely on vinyl - but there were a couple of equally good records on the MMP list. Truth be told I think it was the strongest list in ages.

Na, not for me. He was very much stand out the way I saw it, but that's simply a personal taste thing.

Yep there was good records on the list, but for me only one excellent one.

I seem to be the only person in the world who thought this album was the worst thing he's ever done. I love his other records. Contact, Insides, Opalescent - all glorious. Diamond Mine - sublime. I have no idea why I can't get on with this one, it just doesn't move me.

I'm going to keep trying, I suspect it's because I listen to a lot of music whilst working and this album seems to be one that rewards listening to the tiny details.

I'd love to see him live again, he's certainly active around the right time, with a nicely sized gap

http://www.jonhopkins.co.uk/Live.html

Incidentally, I saw him in 2009 at a deserted G-Stage in the middle of the day, based on recommendations from this forum. I'd never heard of him before, listen to him all the time now.

I seem to be the only person in the world who thought this album was the worst thing he's ever done. I love his other records. Contact, Insides, Opalescent - all glorious. Diamond Mine - sublime. I have no idea why I can't get on with this one, it just doesn't move me.

Really? Wow!

I think it is his best produced, slickest sounds yet. Just listen to Open Eye Signal for example. Pure perfection IMO

If that tune does not move something primeval within you I dont know what will. Crunchy, progressive loveliness!

Really? Wow!

I think it is his best produced, slickest sounds yet. Just listen to Open Eye Signal for example. Pure perfection IMO

If that tune does not move something primeval within you I dont know what will. Crunchy, progressive loveliness!

I do like Open Eye Signal, but even that song compared to his other stuff, I found... boring. I'm going to get a good pair of headphones and go on a music listening walk. It must be the background listening thing, I'm the ONLY person who feels this way. I suspect I'm not hearing the details properly.

I do like Open Eye Signal, but even that song compared to his other stuff, I found... boring. I'm going to get a good pair of headphones and go on a music listening walk. It must be the background listening thing, I'm the ONLY person who feels this way. I suspect I'm not hearing the details properly.

I'm with you, I think some of his other stuff is great, but his new one for me is just a little soul-less

The earlier stuff is quite different, but I truly believe Immunity is JH at his technically best. I personally appreciate exactly, precisely, everything of what he is doing on this album. It seems more cerebral, intelligent and mature. His earlier stuff, although class, seems less unique and more basic in style, yet of course not actually "basic" tunage.

I personally believe he has evolved to a higher standard of production. But its probably simply a taste thing in the end...........

If he does not play Glasto I really do hope I can manage to get to his Irish gig the week before. Would love for him to play a non festival gig in Dublin some time over the year.

Jon Hopkins would be incredible at Glastonbury I reckon. I'm seeing him in Leeds on Saturday and I'm very excited for it.

I can confirm that my prediction in my origianl post^ was correct. He was incredibly good last night. The set was incredibly intense and overwhelming but beautiful at the same time. Each track seemed to be gradually built up so you could hear the layers being worked in an absolute masterclass IMO.

Is he not just running a DAT tape like Chems, Howlett or the Hartnolls?

Why the urge to see him live? What am I missing here.

He's not, no. He does a lot of live manipulation of the sound with the gear. Apart from that, you get to hear it through a proper sound system, at a decent volume. Stick Open Eye Signal on and imagine how better it would sound played through a Funktion 1!

Is he not just running a DAT tape like Chems, Howlett or the Hartnolls?

Why the urge to see him live? What am I missing here.

Ah come on. Even if he was (which he isnt), to listen to his tunage in the right setting, in the right mood, on the right system, with the right people would make for a super experience.

Lads who saw him in Germany last week reliably inform me that his gig was pretty special.

Personally I would like to see him a his own gig rather than a festival, but as I know Ill be at Glasto this year I will take that over not seeing him at all.